Tuesday, January 14, 2014
memorable moments

I watch a lot of television---probably a lot more than most of you....Given my confinement situation, it is the best way I have of enjoying what's out there these days in films and other forms of drama, such as the mini series and some scripted series. 
It is not just for escape or amusement. 
My whole life has been devoted to the creative process; as an actress, writer, singer, composer and producer.
One of the great gifts my parents gave us living in the New York City area, was to expose us to the Broadway Theatre at a very early age, in my case.....
We went to the Theatre and to Concerts; The Ballet and Opera, on a regular basis and thus began my passion for my life's work.


I grew up during the so called "Golden Age" of Broadway and was lucky enough and privileged enough to see all the great plays of that time and so very many of the great actors, too.
Arthur Miller's "Death Of A Salesman" with the great Lee J. Cobb; "All My Sons", as well. All of the truly great plays of Tennessee Williams, including the Original Broadway Production of "A Streetcar Named Desire".....I got to see Marlon Brando grow from a young juvenile in "I Remember Mama" and "Candida" to his stunning performance as Stanley in the Original Broadway production  of "Streetcar".....
I got to see all of the great Ladies Of The Theatre of that period---including Katherine Cornell, Helen Hayes, Laurette Taylor, Geraldine Page, Kim Stanley.....

And I got to seeVivien Leigh and Lawrence Oliver in Rep....I saw Katherine Hepburn  in "As You Like It".
I even got to see the great Tallulah Bankhead.
I got to see ALL the great Broadway musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein in their first and Original Broadway productions.
My father took me to  a Saturday Matinee of the then NEW Musical, "Oklahoma" during it's second week on Broadway and even at the age of ten, I knew I was seeing something really special and different....I had been going to the theatre since the age of four and had already developed an educated eye and a true passion for this amazing and moving experience called "live" theatre. I knew even then, that this was what I wanted to do.
All this is by way of saying, that now that I cannot go to any kind of Theatre any more----Live or film, I am more dependent on what's available on Television, than ever.



A few months ago

I noticed that STARZ was going to show a Mini-series originally made for the BBC called, "DANCING ON THE EDGE".....it is about a Black Jazz Band in London in the 1930's and the many interesting and sometimes horrific things that happen to them, as they are presented to high Society and experience the incredible racism of that time..... 
I was wring about this very interesting Series, a few months back, when I hit some button on my computer and the whole thing went 'bye bye'.
I was so discouraged I just could not start all over and try to recreate what I had already written.
But....a few weeks later, I began again.
The whole first part of what you have already read was part of the building up to my finally getting around to this series---'Dancing On The Edge'
There was a lot about it that appealed to me.....starting with Chiwetel Ejiofor, a brilliant brilliant actor who has shown such versatility and extraordinary talent....I first became aware of him in "Love, Actually" and later in "Kinky Boots"---a fantastically brave performance......

And "12 Years A Slave", is his most recent triumph....a very very powerful film that is an absolute "Must See".....


There are some other wonderful people in 'Dancing', like Matthew Goode---a truly lovely actor, and John Goodman, in a part that is unlike anything I've ever seen him do before.
And there are a number of young women in it, too, none of whom I was familiar with and ALL of them, are really superb!


And then, the bonus, for me, was Jacqueline Bisset, a really talented and under rated actress who was often dismissed because she was so very beautiful.
We rarely see her these days. And I think it is because she only does the things she really wants to do.
Besides being a wonderful actress, she looks as beautiful as she ever did---not having had any plastic surgery----she actually looks like the woman she really is!

 
Personally, I find that thrilling and so refreshing I cannot say enough about what that tells me about her and how very much I admire her for being the woman she is!PLUS......she is terrific in this series.
She adds a professional and personal weight to the whole enterprise by very her very presence and the history she brings with her.
And she is so very very good!
So....rent this series or stream it or whatever other ways there are of seeing great work these days.....
Now.....
All of this brings me to Sunday night and The Golden Globes.
The second category of the night was Best Supporting Actress in a Mini Series, Movie or Drama for Television.
Ms. Bisset was among the four or five nominees. Her chances of winning were lower than low.
But, won, she did.
I applauded!
Sitting all by myself, I sat and applauded her 'win'.


I was as moved as she was. 

What I saw was a woman trying not to lose it, because you just don't do that. 
But.....I could also see her whole career and history flashing before her eyes.
It meant so much.
And why wouldn't it?
Especially when there was no way in hell she was going to walk away with this meaningful Award.
But she did.
Her speech has been criticized and vilified and God knows what else----For Me?
I loved it!
I was moved by it!
I understood what it must have meant to her on so very many levels.....

Maybe seven people besides me had actually seen this series----had actually seen the beautiful work she had done in it and had appreciated the series itself---every one's work in this special series is stellar!

So, I say 
Brava to Ms. Bisset and Bravo to The Golden Globes and The Hollywood Foreign Press.
This was a great moment.
And it is what these Award shows are all about as far as I'm concerned.
It's about the moment one is recognized for a job more than well done, and it is about how very hard it is to be an Artist and be true to yourself.
Oh, and let me say, I am thrilled for Jennifer Lawrence who you may remember I wrote about three ago when she appeared in this small Independent film, "Winters Bone". and one knew she was the real deal.
I loved those first two Awards of last night's Golden Globes.....

First came 23 year old Jennifer Lawrence---a talent, beyond words......


And then, the Beautiful 69 year old Jacqueline Bisset, another talent beyond words----both winners!


Sometimes I just really love Show Business!




More To Come







21 Comments:
had this to say:

I missed the Golden Globes but I'm busy trying to see new movies before the next round of awards. I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! What a creative and artistic life, Naomi! So good that your parents gave to you the opportunity to went to the theatre, concerts, ballet, opera and so on.
I love so much reading your posts and reviews about films! I remember you did a good post about Matthew McConaughey about his performance on the drama "Dallas Buyers Club" in December 01, 2013. I am glad he wins Best Actor at the Golden Globes! I am glad also that Jacqueline Bisset won an award at the Golden Globes for Best Performance for her role as Lady Cremone in television series “Dancing On Edge,”. She is gorgeous and a fantastic actress! I don't had yet the opportunity to see that serie, but I would love to see it. Thanks, Naomi, for sharing this great post!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 5:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I wish I had seen the awards but have had to put up with small clips. Good to hear someone come to Jacqueline Bisset's defense who knows the background.
You have never steered me wrong so I will see if Netflix has it available.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 7:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This was very interesting as I watch almost no TV but I do read about most of what's on. I hadn't heard about the Starz series but sounds like something I'd like. We do have that when we are in Oregon and I'll watch for it. I also want to see the Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey detective series (I like them both). But again it will have to wait for returning to Oregon. I would watch more probably but never know until something is over that it was even on...

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 7:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How exciting for Ms Bisett. She was the epitome of beauty when we were newly weds- although my husband appreciated her turning her jaguar into a planter more than I did.
We missed the Globes this year- I greatly appreciated it in the past- some wonderful moments- but this year- I did not want to deal with the high percentage of obvious under-the influence behavior.

Thank you for the kind review of Ms Bisett's acceptance speech. When I finally got to watch it- my first reaction was one of embarrassment for her. Maybe I should rethink that. Over her career- she's earned more accolades than she's received.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 8:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I was delighted for Jacqueline Bisset that she won a Golden Globe - I found her speech very entertaining since it was not the typical thank you to everyone in world. Although those speeches are fine, too. I had not heard that her speech had been picked apart - so I just looked it up. Indeed it has been. I chalked it up to her being nervous and it seems that she was, from what she said in interviews after.

I love watching the Golden Globes - I get so many ideas of DVDs to get from Netflix. Thank you for the recommendation of Dancing on the Edge - I'll definitely order that one.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:28:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

What a beautiful and insightful take on Ms. Bisset's speech! Not being in show business, I had no inkling of all the emotions at play. I was like too many in thinking she might have been a little tipsy, but now I can so see all that she must have been thinking, remembering and having all that jumble together. Thank you for a much kinder and likely more realistic take on what happened.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 9:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't watch the Golden Globes, I really try to stay away from all those self congratulatory award shows, and usually I have never heard of the people on the stage. However I agree with you that Jaqueline Bisset is absolutely gorgeous, but I wish she had brushed her hair before leaving home.
How wonderful for you to spend so much time being taken to Broadway shows. I live live theatre too, but have never been to one on Broadway. Only a couple of shows in London's West End, and then more here in Toronto. Did you keep all the show programmes? They would be worth a fortune on the collector's market now!
BTW that enormous naked lady in your first photo is a little risque isn't she! I love her!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 7:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't see the Globes this year -- Downton conflict! But I'll have to google her speech. I haven't heard of this series but I'll have to go on a hunt for it -- if it's British it sounds like my cup of tea!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 2:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I came here hoping to read EXACTLY what you wrote! Ohh I am soo FURIOUS at the cracks about Ms. Bisset's speech. I cried and felt the many stories behind her words and pauses. I hope I can find that show she is in. UNAPPRECIATED TALENT and she looked STUNNING! I wanted to hug her and maybe buy her a stiff drink. Most MOVING part of the GG.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 7:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I saw in your last post that you had a nice New Year’s Eve party and I am glad – it is so good to have dear friends around.
As for Jacqueline Bisset I always thought she was one of the most beautiful actresses I had ever seen, and talented too. I have not seen this series but will try to find it. I did see her during the award and did not understand her speech too much but I was pleased that she did win. I was also very pleased that Cate Blanchett won for Blue Jasmine as her performance was wonderful.

You have seen such great shows when you were growing up. My mother also took me to see shows in Paris, but mostly musicals and operas, but nothing like what you saw, and the actors and singers I saw are not that well known in the US, maybe apart from Edith Piaf, Yves Montand and Jacques Brel. It was so good for your father to take you to Broadway.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 7:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Have you ever considered writing a book? What amazing things to experience! And you write so vividly.

She is 69 and that is what she really looks like? Wow!
I will check out that series. Good on you for spotting Jennifer Lawrence, I think she is truly talented.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 9:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have always liked Jacqueline Bisset and have always wondered where she went and why she didn't get more parts. (Her and Geneviève Bujold). Who can forget the buzz she created in The Deep with the wet tee shirt (so tame by today's standards). I loved her acceptance speech because I thought it was so authentic and unrehearsed, but I couldn't believe the walk she had to take. I am always heartened by stars who don't do plastic surgery, like Bisset and Keaton.

I loved you lead in. You brought us right into your home/life.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 8:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I don't know that much about California geography but it seems to me that fire is entirely too close to you. Hope you and your home are safe and that the smoke is not giving you too much grief. Stay safe.

Friday, January 17, 2014 at 3:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I always come to your blog to get some great advice about what movies to see. I have been reading your blog for years and love it.

Friday, January 17, 2014 at 9:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love both of them too. I never see movies anymore, unless they are on HBO. I need to remedy that. We just hooked up a new DVD/CD player and I mean to use it!!

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I haven't seen the Golden Globes, although it's probably available on catchup over here.

I commented on the original series when it was broadcast here about a year ago and has a broad resemblance to some real events with a different character. I think the real person was called Leslie Hutchinson. There's some old Pathe footage of him here, playing in London:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/leslie-hutchinson

I usually like Poliakoff's studies of people and he has some loyal ensemble cast that show up in some of his TV plays.

He wrote a fascinating 'slow TV' drama called 'Shooting the Past' which I recommend if you can get a Netflix of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_Past

In DOTE I found the posh people and the musos mixing in ways that may have been a bit unusual, but the result created some good drama.

Interesting that you picked up on it!

Oh - and Nine Stories just arrived!

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 3:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved Chiwetel Ejiofor in Kinky Boots. He certainly is versitile, isn't he? There's not many actors who can portray the character he did in Kinky Boots and then do Mandela!

I hope you're well.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 8:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ah, of course, its Idris Elba who lays Mandela not Chiwetel Ejiofor... Both excellent actors though.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 9:07:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I wrote my comment and then had trouble with Google. Have sorted that but hope my comment got through. I'll be back later to check. Hey ho!

Monday, January 20, 2014 at 2:56:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

As I was saying when Google chose to interrupt me:
You were blessed to come from so artistic a background and environment and we are equally blessed to have the benefit of your knowledge, experience, history - to say nothing of your many faceted talent.
They say the best things in life are free and what you give to us Naomi is priceless.
I'm hoping soon to acquire a tablet and then can stream some of the wonderful films I have been missing.
Doesn't Jacqueline look great?

Monday, January 20, 2014 at 1:49:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.