Wednesday, May 15, 2013
angelina!

Brava, Angelina Jolie.
The disclosure of your recent double mastectomy in Tuesday's Op-Ed page of the NY Times, is a true inspiration for all women.
(Click on the above to read Angelina's words)

You didn't have to share this with any of us, but by doing so, you have given all of us a great gift. 
If we, as women, are really honest, the idea of losing a breast---let alone two breasts, is a pretty devastating one.
To choose to pro-actively have a double mastectomy takes great courage and extreme bravery, in my opinion---even in the face of the knowledge that one carry's a life threatening cancer gene, which is the case with you.
The percentages almost make it a given, don't they---but even so, this is not an easy decision to make.
(I know one person who took this step quite a few years ago under similar circumstances----She is still alive and well and cancer free I am happy to say.)



There are many things about you sharing your decision that are very meaningful--not the least of which is the fact that your children are first and foremost in your decision.....
Another thing that is so meaningful about you sharing this decision with all of us is, that you have brought home a very important and truly basic fact:
Our womanhood is not defined by our breasts---no matter how much emphasis is put on them by just about everybody.
In the face of a more than probable life threatening illness, it is clear that one's breasts suddenly become a true liability.
(One's life really is more important than one's breasts.)
Still.....it takes great bravery to do what you did, Angelina.....and even more bravery to share it with the world in the hope that it might help other women who are possibly struggling with similar concerns.
It makes one stop and think, 'Gee, if Angelina Jolie can do this.....'



I so admire the way in which you have used your celebrity to make the world a better place for so very many people.

And here, once again, you know that your words will carry a certain weight because you are who you are!

Thank you for your heartfelt  honesty, Angelina.
And, again, I say,
Brava to you....Brava!


More To Come..........







14 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Nice to discover that Angelina is beautiful inside and out.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I totally agree! It seems to be happening quite a bit (double mastectomy) Kathy Bates had it done not so long ago.. and bravo to Brad for standing by her! not every man would.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 6:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good for her! x

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I totally agree. It is something we all fear and it takes a brave person to make that decision. She did it for her family. What a woman.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 4:22:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I'm sitting here recovering from surgery that I had on Monday, to remove my ovaries, uterus and cervix because of my increased risk of developing cancer. I haven't done the breasts because that's a low risk for me, but I wouldn't hesitate to if I thought it would save my life. Angelina's announcement about her double mastectomy and her follow-up notice that she was also planning to remove her ovaries for the same reason is a brave message for women of the world. Here is someone who is considered one of the most beautiful women in the world, she makes her living partially on her looks, and if she can do this, so can other women. It is a scary and painful path, but so worth the piece of mind and improved odds against cancer.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree, how courageous and what an amazing thing to come forward and be a role model in such difficult circumstances.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 8:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am in complete agreement and I also would like to commend Brad Pitt for not running away. Some guys would.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 8:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Nice post. Good on her. It's a hell of a thing to have to share with the world. Fame has such a steep price.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 4:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I admire that she shared that. My friend Catherine had breast cancer and decided to have both breasts removed, instead of just the one with the cancer. She is a nude model, well known in the Atlanta area, and so decided to have the construction, too. It was difficult to see her in so much emotional pain after the diagnosis, but she looks better than ever. And I'm so glad she is OK, having lost two dear friends to breast cancer already.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 6:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She is an amazing woman, isn't she? Love her for doing that and you know it was not an easy decision for her to make and how hard it must've been to be in that hospital room knowing what was about to happen...and the reconstruction part. I just think she's the bravest woman on the planet, really. To come public with it and give hope to other women is just remarkable.

PS - Can you please e-mail me your address again? I misplace it. Thanks. :)

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I feel grateful not to have to make such a decision.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 12:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i have to say I never was much of an Angelia Jolie fan, but her stock went up exponentially after making this decision and then being so very public about it. Three cheers. She has helped many women; many who may not even yet know they will be confronted with the same choice.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 4:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have always been her fan. She seems to be a very special person. I also say BRAVA!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 8:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I couldn't agree with you more. What a role model.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 7:37:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.