Friday, May 11, 2012
get low

I have just seen a really lovely, touching and funny "little" film....It is called, "Get Low", (2009) and it stars Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray, Bill Cobb and a young man named Lucas Black as well as Gerald McRainey.....What I find inspiring about a film like this is every one's dedication to getting the film made. It took 8 years to get off the ground---EIGHT years!!!---And when you see it, you go, "why"? This has such a beautiful script, and such a great cast and some truly wonderful performances----Robert Duvall gives us another memorable, believably moving character.....He is such a great great actor.....!Indeed! Robert Duvall is such a remarkably special and talented actor. I always think of the very first film he was in---or at least, that I saw him in...."To Kill A Mockingbird"....he played Boo Radley....and with no lines at all, he was so completely that character---he moved one to tears. It was a small part, but, a very important part....For anyone who has never seen that film..Well, you are missing one of the Great Great Films of the 20th Century. Rent it, immediately! Duvall has played many many memorable parts in films over the years...Tom Hagen in the first two "Godfather" films.........
A perfect performance.....in both "Godfather" films.....(1972 & 1974)
Another 'small' film, "Tomorrow"...what a lovely performance that was.....Duvall has the ability to play the simplest of men to a "T"....but he also can play a sophisticated man perfectly, too....As in, "Network", (1975) The Original Screenplay by the great Paddy Chayefsky, that predicted everything that has happened to television, is superb!....Rent this one, too.....And then there is "Tender Mercies", for which Duvall won the Academy Award. He has been nominated for an Oscar 6 times...and throughout his career, he has won many other Awards, as well.....His performance in "Get Low" is right up there with the BEST of him....! "Get Low" is a period piece---it looks like it is the late 1920's early 1930's and is about a man, in this small southern town, who has been living pretty much as a hermit for 40 years......!He wants to have a Funeral for himself while he is still alive and wants people to come and tell a story about him.....Most people think he is a horrible mean old codger who would shoot you down before asking why you are on his property. This couldn't be further from the truth. And as the film unfolds Duvall's true character is revealed. This story is based on a real man in Tennessee...Towards the end of the film, Duvall has a monologue that is so deeply moving, I thought---this is another Oscar winning performance. This film is about love and redemption and friendship and misconceptions, and is such a satisfying experience. More and more I am overwhelmed with the power of film and how one can be so deeply touched by a seemingly simple little story. This is not an action film or a SciFy film filled with robots and the like....this film is about people and their humanity---simple and direct, and funny, and, as I already said, very very moving---and at the heart of this film is Robert Duvall's superb performance.Do rent "Get Low". You won't be sorry.....


More To Come........







23 Comments:
had this to say:

Thanks for the movie recommendation -I was looking for a good movie this weekend! Scout was my favorite character.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 2:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm putting Get Low in my Netflix queue right now. Thank you - I'm always looking for good film making.

I see you around on the blogs and thought I'd check our yours - love your profile pic!

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 3:14:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'd not heard of this. Thanks for the recommendation for Netflix.

Cheers.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 5:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh Duvall does nothing wrong! I loved two little movies called Second Hand Lions and A Family Thing that he was in also.. there is no part too small that he can't make it big... he's a billiant actor! I will look for this movie!

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 7:41:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It must have been difficut to top his performance in 'Mocking Bird' but he has done it time and time again. He emanates goodness when he is on the screen and gives me a feeling of security.
Thank you for that splendid review and it will go on my list of films to see.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This is a movie that I'm not familiar with at all, so on your recommendation I'll put it on my list and see if I can find it at our local library. No movie rentals are available here now, Blockbuster has packed up and left, nobody was renting any movies. So much is available on the Movie TV channels, Netflix and the Internet now.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Where would I be without your movie recommendations? Thank you for taking the time to review them for us, your devoted audience.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have seen this one Naomi and totally agree with you. Also am a huge fan of Robert Duvall. What I like about him is that I don't feel he is acting, he just is the character.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 2:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Duvall is brilliant

I recognized the name Lucas Black and looked him up
I remember him from Friday Night Lights, he's a fine actor

Hope sends hugs
and me too

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 9:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This film has been on my list a long while -- that's what I'd like to do -- have the memorial now when I can enjoy it!

Back from France/Holland/England and eager to catch up. I will return to your Greystone posts -- they sound great!

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 10:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I enjoyed your entries on Greystone.You knew such interesting people and have such an interesting life yourself, that it would make a great autobiography.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am a huge Sissy Spacek fan, but I've never even heard of this film - thanks for the heads up!

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 4:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I so want to see it and hope I can find it. Our video store closed down and all we have is a little Blockbuster kios thing. I love the funeral premise of the film.

My friend and local Floyd musician Bernie Coveney taught Duvall to play guitar for Tender Mercies: http://www.looseleafnotes.com/wp/2008/02/the-music-of-bernie-coveney/

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 8:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You do the greatest job of digging out these wonderful "little" films (my favorite kinds!). Thanks.

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 3:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We can always seek your advice for a good movie for sure Naomi.

Hope you are fine and well my dear friend. Sorry been out of action for a while :D

BIG HUGS!!!!

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 5:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Yes, I've seen the film before, and my husband and I were rather moved by it. No doubt there are countless folks out there who are misjudged for the wrong reason -- as was depicted in the film.
Great movie choice, Naomi.

I have a movie recommendation for you -- a film that I watched yesterday evening with my mom for Mother's Day: "Mrs. Henderson Presents" with Judi Dench. Hope you get to see it if you haven't already!

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks, Naomi, I check this out. Duvall is a class act!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 9:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, you know I'll be looking for this film on Netflix! I love all your recommendations, and yes, Robert Duvall is a phenomenal actor.

I need to watch "To Kill a Mockingbird" again. We were required to see it as school kids but of course, I was half listening then.

Thanks for the review, amiga. Hope all's well with you! xo

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 4:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I recall being pleasantly surprised watching "Get Low" some months ago since I had never heard of the film before. Robert Duvall is a really good actor, I think, and has an interesting body of work. "Network" and "...Mockingbird" are special favorites of mine.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 1:19:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I saw this movie and you're absolutely right, it's a marvelous story with great acting.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I saw this film quite a while ago and I really enjoyed it! Robert Duvall is one of my favorites!!!!

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 7:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved him in Tender Mercies. I'll have to see if I can find this one.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 1:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Robert Duvall is one of my favorites actor for sure.
Thanks for the movie recommendation and for this fantastic review! You did a great post here, Naomi.
Many hugs.

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 6:17:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.