Monday, March 26, 2012
the rare beauty's

I have written about these flowers before...but I don't believe I have ever shown these particular pictures---though if I have, I hope you'll forgive me.....These are such unusual flowers---the shape alone is quite incredible, as well as the color...And they grow in such abundance when this plant is flowering----It is quite extraordinary...... The common name for this cactus is "Old Man Cactus", though I think almost any tall cylindrical cactus that has white 'fur' on top, is called 'Old Man Cactus'......! It's real name is Cleistocactus....and I'm not sure of the sub-genre.....At any given time, during the flowering season, this plant will have between 300 and 400 flowers......One would have to say it is prolific....! I have always called these unusual blooms, 'The Penis Flowers'.....I know that is silly, but of all the many Cactus plants in my garden this Cleistocactus is the only one that has flowers that grow out like this....... And what is so very interesting is, the Bees love these flowers...! Here are some pictures of a Bee or two trying to get all the good sweet stuff out of this unusual and amazing flower..... There must be some really great nectar inside there, wouldn't you say? I mean, the way the Bees burrow in....It has to be something quite special...... These flowers are so unique....so different from anything else I've ever seen. The shape, the color...the way they only open up just so much....I really love these flowers more than I can say.....To me, they are little works of 'art' created by nature, as only 'nature' can create......


More To Come........













17 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

The penis flowers. Exactly what I was thinking Naomi. You may need an X certificate:)
They are pretty extraordinary.

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 2:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So unusual but at the same time beautiful. Great pictures!

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

More of nature's magic.

I miss our trips to the Arizona desert this time of year. The flowers are amazing. Given the color, you wouldn't think your in an arid landscape.

Cheers.

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 4:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That first picture looks like an alien life form.
Had to laugh at the penis flower:)) That bee is really impressed.
Really interesting pictures.

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 6:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I was thinking the same, re, the name you gave them! Beautiful photos!

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 7:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That first picture looks just like a big white hairy spider with red hairy legs! Or maybe my fertile imagination is working overtime.

BTW I'm so glad you saw the post about the Hirshorn Museum on ME's blog. I'd love to go there and have a wander round!

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 12:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again, the exotic beauty of these shots give me visceral reactions. I feel transported to some place other-worldy looking at them. And I love that we can see the transparent wings of the bee!

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 5:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember this plant. I must say it is quite unusual! It is other-worldly looking in those first couple of photos. Must be yummy for the bees though! Great photos Naomi. Your pictures are always so nice and zoomed in to give us a great view of your plants and flowers! Hugs!!

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 9:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Absolutely STUNNING!!!!! I was like WOW WOW WOW :D I cracked up
because it looks like worms wriggingly....so lovely and unique.

You captured them beautifully...THANK YOU :)

Monday, March 26, 2012 at 9:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful and unusual penis flower. lol Great closeup shots, as always. Thanks for sharing, Naomi. Missed your posts. Hugs and much love from Miami! xo

PS - Now I know where the term, "birds and the bees," came from! lol

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 10:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've never seen a penis flower before. :D I love the shots you took of the bee entering the flower. They are amazing.

and how come my whole comment sounds smutty!! :D

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 12:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Otherworldly was exactly the word I was going to use!!!
No comment on the "Penis Flower". Actually, I have a few comments, but they would be innappropriate!!!

@ R. Sherman...Arizona isn't having a great showing this spring as there has been little rain, but, I just flew to Houston this past weekend to see my 117 year old mother and the Texas bluebonnets were off the hook!!!So beautiful!!

Okay, my mom is only 82, but she acts like she is 117. Naomi, I look at you, then I look at her, then I look at you and I have to say again that you inspire me. I love my mom more than words can say, but you, you really inspire me. You do things on this blog that I have yet to learn how to do. My mom still has not set the clock on the vcr we gave her 30 years ago!!

You rock.

Stan
XOXO

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 11:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A child-like sense of wonder.

That's what you have that my mom doesn't. Once upon a time she did. I suspect that you will live many more years if you keep it. It's one of the things I love about you. Your child-like sense of wonder.

Stan

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 11:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Have you ever seen any humming birds around these flowers?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 6:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Flowers and bees---all that's missing are the birds! Thanks for the great photos, Naomi.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 7:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They kind of ARE penis flowers, aren't they? Those bees are loving them, and anything that helps are bees keep going, I am all for. They really are lovely. I learn so much from blogs!

Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 8:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These are truly fascinating bee photos and marvelous shots of cacti. Reviewing your previous couple of posts and this one I see cacti varieties most unusual I've never seen before, much less in bloom. Nature is just spectacular!

Monday, April 2, 2012 at 4:12:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.