Sunday, January 29, 2012
a mix of films - part 1

I have been watching a lot of films these past weeks, and grateful to have them to watch---they have been saving me from the terrible despair I feel with my dear Sweetie gone....I can kind of lose myself in these films. But, it has been a very mixed bag.....And remember, anything I write about these films is just my very personal subjective opinion.....So, here goes.......With the Oscar Nominations now here as well as The SAG Awards just on the brink---I will start with some of the films I've seen that have nominations in one or more category's."MY WEEK WITH MARILYN"...Well, for me, people are behind the 8 Ball from the get-go attempting to make me believe anyone is Marilyn Monroe....For me, she was such an 'iconic' figure and so incandescent...I say, don't even try....So, I really didn't care for this film very much, at all, and again, for me, Michelle Williams, no matter how great an actress she is--and she is a wonderful actress---can just never be MM. I didn't have quite the same problem with Kenneth Branagh, though again, he is not and will never be Olivier....And, Julia Ormand as Vivien Leigh....well, I just couldn't buy it for a minute--Vivien Leigh was one of the most beautiful women in the world, ever. I just feel like I know these people too well, to accept seeing 'actors' pretending to be them. As to Nominations: Michelle Williams is nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress and The SAG Award for Best Actress In A Film. And Kenneth Branagh is nominated for both an Oscar and a SAG Award in the Best Supporting Actor in a Film, category."THE IRON LADY"....Meryl Streep's performance is truly truly wonderful, especially as the older Thatcher....very touching and believable. I realize that Margaret Thatcher is not someone that has the same iconic stature for me that MM had...and those of you across the pond may feel Meryl Streep can never "be" Thatcher....I understand it, if you do feel that way. But, being an outsider and not being as familiar with Margaret Thatcher, I thought Meryl Streep's performance was near flawless.....I'd love to know what all my U.K. Blogger Buddies feel about this......Meryl Streep is nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress., and for The SAG Award as Best Actress In A Film."ALBERT NOBBS".....Glenn Close had a passion for this material, having done this play on stage many many many years ago.(1982)....It took a lot of years, but she finally got the movie made. Her performance is very very good....As many of you may already know, she plays a woman, pretending to be a man, working at a small Hotel in England at a time when women had no 'rights', whatsoever....It is a brave performance and I admire her for her commitment to this material. Janet McTeer, another incredibly talented actress, is also playing a woman pretending to be a man working at painting homes and other odd jobs....Her performance is superb......Glenn Close is nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress and for The Sag Award for Best Actress In A Film. Janet McTeer is nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, and for The SAG Award For Best Supporting Actress In A Film."WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN"......This is a very tough film to watch---often excruciating, in fact.....But Tilda Swinton's performance is about as brave as one can be. It is the story of a mother who's child grows up to be a mass murderer.....She doesn't know how to deal with him from the time he is a baby, and one feels her hatred of him---and his incredible disdain for her---we watch him deliberately taunt her. Meanwhile, the father never sees any of this---the boy deliberately and cunningly hides his true feelings from his father....The culmination of the boys insanity(?) comes when he murders a lot of people all at the same time. Like I said, it is very tough to watch this story unfold.....But, Tilda Swinton deserves her SAG Nomination for Best Actress In A Film. She did not receive an Oscar Nomination and honestly, I will never understand that.....!"BRIDESMAIDS".......I was not crazy about this film.....I really have a hard time with lots of people throwing up and pooping all over the place---I do not find this kind of of 'low' humor funny, at all---I also find that certain "bits" go on too long, as they do on SNL, and what might have been somewhat funny gets really tiresome, to me. Sorry folks, this picture was just not my cup of tea, at all. And, forgive me, but I also do not understand Melissa McCarthy being nominated for an Oscar in the Best Supporting Actress category and for The SAG Award in the same category---Oh, Lord, I really sound like an old grouch, but....it's just my opinion.........

Having already written a post about "THE HELP" I will just remind you that three Actors are Nominated for Oscars: Viola Davis, Best Actress. Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain, both nominated for Best Supporting Actress Oscars and all three in the same category's for The SAG Awards......We will have the SAG Award answers very soon after I publish this post. Also, having written about both "The Descendants" and "The Artist" each of these pictures have multiple nominations in many category's--Including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress,. etc., etc., etc........Stay Tuned.......

There are many more films and they will be coming along very soon.....I hope I'm not boring you to death with these Film Posts.....



More To Come........


Note: 7:10pm, Sunday, January 29, 2012...I am thrilled to say that Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer both won the SAG Awards in each of their category's, AND, that "THE HELP" won the SAG Best Ensemble Of Actors In A Motion Picture, Award......Thrilled, Thrilled, Thrilled.....!








29 Comments:
had this to say:

I've been looking forward to your take on these (and other) films -- tomorrow I'm taking the day off to see a few I've not yet seen (which, to be honest, is most of them!) Prettymuch all of the Oscar films have landed here at long last!

I have my sentimental favorites, but of course till you see something, it's hard to know if those will hold in my final "ballot." I love hearing your opinions. (And I'm glad the movies have been a bit of a solace or at least a diversion these recent days.)

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 6:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Before scrolling down I was going to ask if you've watched the Glenn Close film because I remember seeing the previews at the Coral Gables Art Cinema and thinking, this should be a good performance. The "you're the strangest man I ever met" line stayed with me...knowing it was Glenn Close.

I think the serial killer movie would be interesting but would probably make a better read. Do you know anything about the book?

Thanks for the review, Naomi. I always appreciate your take on movies, as you know your films and your art and I value your opinion on such things.

Sending hugs and love your way...Ily

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 7:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you could never bore. I so look forward to your reviews and am so glad someone with your experience and insight gets to cast her vote.
I really haven't seen any of them yet and you can save me much time and money for I usually agree with your reviews.
Looking forward to "More to come."

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 7:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have always preferred documentaries over movies about famous people's lives, especially ones that we can still remember. I think they take so many liberties and speculate too much. I'm not drawn to films like the one about MM.

I think Bridesmaids was the female answer to the boy humor out there, like Hangover and Adam Sandler movies etc. On that level it worked (potty humor) but it's not my cup of tea either, and I'm bored too quick. Even though I might get a big cheap laugh or two, I'd rather be entertained throughout a whole movie. I did think the actress who got nominated was great though and a stand out in the film (which I did see).

I probably will see What About Kevin eventually because I like movies about human psychology but I will brace myself. Not interested in the Margret Thatcher movie for the reasons I mentioned above but from what I've seen I too think Meryl's performance looks amazing. I will look for the one with Glen Close, an interesting topic to me.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 9:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi!

I liked how you phrased actresses taking on MM. I felt exactly the same way. Why bother? My expectations were low and I was quite surprised how much I liked her and how well she did. I totally agree with your thoughts on Vivien Leigh and thought Julia Ormond was the wrong choice for the role. I read in a UK paper that Catherine Zeta Jones turned down the role.

I just KNEW you would not like "Bridesmaids"!!!Ha! Oh, well.
C'est la vie!

Hasn't it been fun being buried in movies? We are going out today to catch a matinee of "Hugo" in 3D, which, in my opinion, has had the worst marketing campaign ever! Had it not been for the Oscar nominations I would not be seeing it today.

It's gorgeous here in Arizona. We are having Spring-like weather that will extend to next week.

Much love,

Stan

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 9:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sometimes one shouldn't mess with icons, like Marilyn Monroe.

I've read some reviews of the Thatcher movie, which praise Streep (and she's wonderful in everything she's in, BTW) but disputing the accuracy of the portrayal. The driving scene with her daughter, for example, took place years before she ran for office and wasn't a metaphor for her political views or her "driven-ness" as a female politician in man's world.

I need to see the Close and Swinton efforts. I love both of those actresses, as well.

Cheers.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 10:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,

I just discovered your blog and could not stop reading. I am sorry to learn of the deaths of your friend, Betty, and Sweetie.

You are a fascinating woman and I am looking forward to reading more.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 11:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you. The nominations were announced just after I'd seen The Bridesmaids. I just don't get it but thank you for directing our attention to We Need to Talk About Kevin. While it sounds like a film that might be difficult to watch, it sounds thought provoking. Hopefully, I'll get to see The Iron Lady next weekend.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 2:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

And I forgot to say how much I enjoyed Tilda Swinton in I Am Love.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 3:05:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

While reading your reviews I opened another window and put the first three on my Netflix list so I wouldn't forget. I've seen the others. I also am not impressed with the low humour. I enjoyed Bridesmaids "enough" but I don't go for that type of movie. I only went because M wanted to see it.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 4:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed reading your reviews. The last time we went to the movies to see Midnight in Paris we also saw The Bridesmaids – I should say we saw part of it because when they vomited and then started pooping in the middle of the road that was the end of it – we walked out. I don’t like bathroom humor and am surprised that they would be nominated for anything. I thought it was an awkward and crude attempt at some type of humor and it failed miserably. There are some new good movies to see though and we’ll go soon.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 7:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, it was nice seeing Betty in the "In Memoriam" part of the show. What a beautiful woman.

"Albert Nobbs" made me sad. She/he was so alone in the world that it just broke my heart.

Glad that you are so happy that "The Help" won so many awards.

Lastly, I cannot stop talking about or thinking about "Hugo". What a visual feast!!! Your friends on this blog need to see it in 3D. It isn't gimmicky 3D, like things jumping out at you, it's more subtle, and simply stunning. Snowfall in 3d, steam in 3D. I am now officially confused as to why "Hugo" did not get a SAG Ensemble nomination as the cast was terrific through and through.

All for now. Sleep well.

Stan

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 8:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

you should get paid for movie reviews! you can always tell someone who loves movies ..they give the best and most honest reviews!

I hope that there are many more that you enjoy...even ones that aren't up for awards!

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 2:41:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

You are certainly NOT 'boring us to death.'
I know what you mean about actors attempting to portray iconic characters such as Marilyn. I was frustrated recently watching a TV film 'We'll take Manhattan.'
It was about David Bailey, the photographer and Jean Shrimpton the famous sixties model. The actress taking the part of Jean Shrimpton had an impossible task and, for me the film didn't work.
I have seen clips of Streep playing Thatcher but I can't give an opinion until I see the film. I'm hoping she gets Maggie's essence.
I do envy you Naomi getting to see these great films - hot off
the press - as it were. and so grateful you share with us.

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 3:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hiya Naomi...dropping by to say HI and you are truly amazing. I can always come by and see what good shows you have reviewed and would recommend :)

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 8:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those were really interesting reviews and will help me decide what to see when they get to DVD. Have you ever thought of doing these kind of reviews for a YouTube? You have the experience and really call it like you see it. I bet it'd be popular. I have always liked Reel Geezers (not sure if they are still doing them) and more doing those kind of reviews, where they come from that world, could only be good :) Reel Geezers

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 9:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

oh thank goodness! someone else who feels the same way I do about Bridesmaids
I hated it!! and everyone goes on and on about it
it was boring and stupid, made the women unattractive and absurd and Melissa (who I adore on Mike and Molly) played a horrid character who left me wanting to take a bath

I adore you :)

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 9:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I really want to see "We need to talk about Kevin". My partner said "Shall we go and see a film on your birthday?" and I suggested this one. :D Not quite my partner's cup of tea.

I agree with you about Bridesmaids. I find toilet humour very unfunny. I did think there were some funny moments in the film, like the speech's and the bit when she was trying to get arrested but the rest was pretty lightweight.

I am not a fan of Margaret Thatcher, but I would quite like to see the film.

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 10:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

First, I agree, nice seeing Betty remembered. Second, I could NEVER be bored reading your posts about films/acting and all that goes along---it is what I LOVE so about your blog. I too was THRILLED to see The Help win. The others seemed "OK" but The Help hit it right on so many levels. (And my thoughts about Brides Maids were same as yours.)

Monday, January 30, 2012 at 11:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I totally enjoyed the reviews Naomi, and the only movie I have seen is the one you don't care much for - Bridesmaids.

I hope to see more on the list.

Great reading your views.

Hope you are doing okay after losing Sweetie - sounds like the movies are keeping you more focused on other things right now...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 4:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think I have to agree with you about Marilyn Monroe. She was so iconic that there is NO ONE who could play her and make me believe it.

Meryl, on the other hand, can make me believe any role she takes on. I can't wait to see this one!!

I thought Bridesmaids was funny, but too raunchy and relentless in its raunchiness. Melissa was terrific in that role; I thought she stole the movie.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 5:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I enjoy reading your reviews very much. NEVER boring!!
I am going to see "The Help" in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. I would not like a film with the bathroom humor either. Things like that are not funny to me. Being gross is not being funny!
"The Iron Lady" sounds like one I'd enjoy.

Hope you are doing well! xxoxx

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 8:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think I need to go to the movies more often!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 1:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I always love your reviews of films. I didn't like Bridesmaids either (too lewd, crude and rude for my taste) and you are quite right in that the funny bits failed as they went on for far too long. I am looking forward to see The Iron Lady though. Thatcher was a great Prime Minister and so I will be interested to see if Maryl nails the role. There are some wonderful clips of Maggie speaking in the Commons on You Tube and of course she had a wonderful relationship with Raegan :) I am glad you have found a way to lessen the hurt of losing Sweetie. Sending more hugs from across the pond as I know what a long time such healing can take.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 2:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

First time here (over from Pat's) but I already like how you think. I've been wondering about these very movies, and now I shall see them.

Have to agree on Bridesmaids. I've not seen it, but know people who have who were just mind-boggled as to why there were people who liked it...

Greetings from Minneapolis! (would follow you, but for some reason, my work computer does not allow for such things. Have bookmarked you and will be back...)

Pearl

Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 5:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You've been tagged on my blog, my dear. No pressure, just letting you know and sending BIG HUGS your way! xo

Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 3:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm about 50-50 on these -- the one I want to see most is Iron Lady.

Thanks!!!!

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 12:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I enjoyed so much reading your reviews! Thanks for them and you never, never, boring!
Your opinion - as you have a great sensibility and also are an expert - is valious to me.
I am reading the book "We need to talk about Kevin". It's so well written but it is really a tough story... I like so much Tilda Swinton's performance too.

Did you know that I send your movie's list to Sofia? As she lives in a city bigger than my, she can see those films on cine or rent a Dvd.

Many warm hugs to you.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 4:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We were going to see a movie last weekend but had the plans blown out by the snow. It would have been either the Iron Lady or The Artist.

Some time next week instead. The Tilda Swinton movie played some time ago so I'll have to catch up with that on television.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 11:01:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.