Tuesday, August 23, 2011
hollywood forever & birds - part 2

Hollywood Forever is right in the heart of Hollywood, yet you might not know it is there because it is in a rather uninteresting-looking part of town, though the back end of it butts up against Paramount Studios and the old RKO/ Desilu Studio, too---In fact, The Hollywood Cemetery once owned ALL of that property......Those structures in the background above are the back of 'sets' on the Paramount Lot. And, incidentally, they do a very interesting here at Hollywood Forever. In the summertime, they show movies here at night---people sit out on the large expansive lawn, (There are no graves there so it is not a disrespectful happening, at all....).The films are projected on the side of one of the Mausoleums----the lawn known as he Fairbanks Lawn because it is right behind the Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. Monument----is where these films are shown..... I did not take these last two pictures---I found them on 'the net'.....I have never been to the outdoor movies there at Hollywood Forever, but I know people who have and they say it is a wonderful fun thing to do.....In the recent movie "Valentines Day", Director Garry Marshall uses Hollywood Forever and the outdoor films as a location....... And the movie that is being shown in Garry Marshall's film is "Hot Spell" (1958) with Shirley MacLaine and Warren Stevens...In "Valentines Day" Shirley MacLaine plays a retired movie star and there is a scene in front of the movie being shown on the Mausoleum wall of MacLaine's character in the present with her husband played by Hector Elizando---it is really quite wonderful.......... Above, what we see up on the side of the Mausoleum in "Valentines Day", before the film "HOT SPELL" begins.....I loved that Garry Marshall used Hollywood Forever in his film----it is a lovely 'homage'.....Back to the birds who live at Hollywood Forever......During the day, if you go and visit this cemetery you will see lots of different birds, like these Swans on the Pond...... And the Egrets........And there are an abundance of Beautiful Ducks on the Pond, as well as around the Fairbanks reflecting pool---at times....... And, let's not forget the Wonderful Canadian Geese.....They are in abundance, too, in Hollywood Forever....... There are lots of Canadian Geese there at Hollywood Forever....at least there were at the time I took this next series of pictures..... I think they are such elegant birds, in all their big roundness-on-short- legs and their long-neck-ed-ness......And I think they are really quite beautiful.....Here below, a kind of wonderful series showing these birds on-the-move....... And where they were headed was to this area that is on the side of the Mausoleum where Valentino is buried.....There seemed to be some yummy things there on the asphalt of the narrow street that runs behind the building........In the picture below, you can see that these Geese wander all over the place......You can see them way across the Pond and closer to the foreground of the picture, they are very close to the pond...In fact, they go into the Pond quite a lot....... I love the shadows of the trees reflected in the Pond....And below, my very favorite picture of one of the Canadian Geese at Hollywood Forever...... I promise to get to the Peacocks in Part 3. I had no idea I was going to get so carried away with the background of this amazing place...But, you get me started and I just can't stop! (lol)




More To Come........








22 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The prevalence these days of Canada geese is really a conservation success story. While they were never endangered, their habitats were and over the years many such habitats were restored. The geese have flourished as a result. In fact, we have so many of them here in Missouri, they're almost considered pests, as they take over a pond and drive off other water fowl like ducks and so forth.

They are pretty birds, though.

Cheers.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 5:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is really beautiful and serene place, and I don't wonder that the birds like it and feel safe there.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 6:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved seeing the photos - it's been too long since I've stopped by. Finally sold the house and moved and now am more settled.

I'll be back to see more photos from past posts that I missed.

Love love that swan photo.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 11:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, what a wonderful green and well kept place. The birds look very happy there! We have quite a few Canadian Geese in the lake outside our house in AZ. They are very beautiful birds.

I don't understand why everyone is lying down to watch the movie though! Aren't you allowed to sit up? :D

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 1:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It's interesting to compare the elaborate markers of DeMille, Cohn and others with the simple flat marker of another studio head, Darryl Zanuck, for example, in Westwood Cemetery.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 2:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

In Somerset, down in the South West of the UK, we don't tend to see an awful lot of geese, but occasionally we do see a 'skein' of geese flying over in a 'V' formation, which is a spectacular and beautiful sight.

Talking with one of my brothers-in-law a few days ago, apparently these open air film nights are taking off in a big way in London.

They are attracting some very large crowds to some screenings of the older classic movies and many of the fans are quite young people, who wouldn't necessarily remember the films from the first time around. My 18 year old niece is apparently addicted to them.

Thanks for another great post, so interesting.

Yvonne

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 9:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great idea to show movies in the open space in the cemetery. If I lived in the area, I would definitely go!
And as for those Canada geese.... I agree they are a pretty bird, but many places around here have just too many of them, and the accunulated "goosey poop" can become quite a hazard, let me tell you! And even though they are supposed to fly south for the winter, many of them seem to have forgotten how, and stay here during the winter months, making even more "goosey poop"!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow! look at you with all the bird pictures!! lol and hooray for Egrets!!! I don't know why but I do love them!..

love the "march of the canadian geese" lol..maybe they were singing? ("we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!" lol)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 4:47:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I saw the Valentine movie. I thought it was cool to show movies in a cemetery. I wondered if they actually did that or if it was just for this movie.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 9:22:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the outdoor movie idea...and all the other animal photos..i knew i missed something in the last month...love your post..zman sends

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 1:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

oh, naomi, how you entertain us with a personal tour of hollywood! so generous of you - and these images and stories make my day! today my favorite part is of the movies shown in this breathtaking cemetery! and of course, it reminds me of those wonderful drive-in theatres where one could sit inside one's car or outdoors and see a film on that magnificent huge screen! i'm such a movie aficionada - have been all my life - my brother and i used to go every single week to the saturday double feature - what a floodgate of memories your post opens! thanks so very much, lady hollywood!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 2:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your posts and how they take me to places I may know a LITTLE about, but not all that much!

(And I had to laugh at your comment about Mercury Retrograde to Vagabonde, because I thought exactly the same thing!)

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 5:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh how I loved these two posts! My partner and dreamed of touring around the U.S. and visiting cemetaries. In my small hometown of Ft Wayne we have Carole Lombard's tomb---'tis said Gable's weeping can be heard at times.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:26:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Certainly if I ever came to Hollywood - and there seems no prospect alas - Forever Hollywood would be a must with a film thrown in if possible.
The peace, the wild life and the memories of all that glamour and talent would keep me entranced for hours.
We were the cinema generation - in the thirties and forties - and proud of it.

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 2:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your buddy Earl was also in Hot Spell, playing Jr to Anthony Quinn's father character! (As I'm sure you're aware, but thought it was worth a mention!

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 7:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful place! We will certainly check it out when we're in your neck of the woods. I've seen the movie Valentine's Day twice that's why I recognised the place immediately. :)

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 3:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I recall your posts about this lovely place before. I love all the many birds that live there! I'll bet they are well fed!

So interesting to read you blog Naomi. I have sure learned so much from you!!

The movies is a good idea I think. They have started doing that here once a month downtown, showing a nice family movie with it being shown on the side of a bank building, and folks bring lawn chairs or blankets and watch. I haven't been but it sounds like fun!

Interesting as always Noami!! Hope you and dear Sweetie are doing well!!

Friday, August 26, 2011 at 9:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful collection of photographs, this place looks to be far more than just a sanctuary for the birds here.

I've never, ever been to an open air movie show - in fact, as far as I'm aware, the UK doesn't even have as much as ONE drive-in movie park, either (pout). It sounds so romantic..

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 9:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's an absolutely gorgeous place. I love the birds! It must be amazing on person!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 10:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi, Naomi!
It topped 105 on my side of LA County today. Seeing your birds playing in the water makes it feel cooler!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 4:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember that scene from Valentine's Day at the outdoor movie but I don't know if I knew it was in the cemetery. There's one shot here of the swan that made me swoon!

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, that was interesting Naomi - going to the cemetry to watch movies. I kind of like the idea as why should we see them as horrible places. Its all part of the life cycle and maybe the spirits get to have a look at the films too, lol. Looks a very restful, manicured place too.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 4:51:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.