Thursday, July 21, 2011
celebrating 80! - part 4

This is my dear sweet nephew Danny, with me.....I told him his beard was covering part of my head....So he decided it would be fun to actually take his beard and cover part of my face with it.....So here we are below...... It was fun! It was so great to have Danny and two of his kids here to help me celebrate my 80th Birthday..... So....above, Carole Cook and 'Grand' Niece Sarah, and 'Grand' Niece Laurel, and me.....Carole and Tom were leaving and so we were near the front door......Carole was taking some Birthday Cake home....As Carole says--and I totally agree--"If it isn't Chocolate, it's a Vegetable to me!!" And below........ Here are some lovely people out on the deck.....Far left, Bridget H. and Leslie Caveny next to her---Dear Earl and my nephew Danny and 'Grand' Niece Sarah and Michael Franks way over on the right....I love pictures like this because it shows a certain animated quality, which gives you more of a feeling of what was happening at the party.....And below.......Once again, Dear Leslie C., Seemah, and Anne Leyden Sehres....three terrific women.....! And Seemah has a Birthday coming up in a few days....she will be 87!!!! Talk about someone not looking their age....! And that is Craig Curtis, standing behind the three ladies....... Above.....Dianne Travis and Andy Parks in an animated conversation...And that is Cousin Carol Smith's back, over there on the left, with David Shine and his Video Camera behind them all, in the background.......And below...... The person who makes it all happen---literally making these party's possible...the wonderful Will Grover.....And you can see Mary, at the sink---she has been working with Will forever, and is always here on New Year's Eve....and you can just barely see an arm over on the right; that is Crystal, who does a lot of the cooking, too.....I love looking behind the scenes, don't you? That is Bill Serhes and Anne Leyden next to me---I officiated at their wedding 22 years ago, this year....! And Charley Berliner in the foreground.....More Theatre West connections....Anne was in my play, "The Dressing Room" developed at Theatre West and opened at The Matrix Theatre, here in Los Angeles, in September, 1988 Above....the adorable Anne with Chazz Palminteri, in his first Stage Production in Los Angeles....He was writing "A Bronx Tale", at the time---the play and movie that put him on the map.....And speaking of Charley Berliner....Late in the evening....Charley and I were sitting over on the little couch talking with Sarah and Danny and Laurel----Danny had asked about my play "Jen The Hen", which was about the death of my mother---Danny's Grandmother.....And I told him that Charley had come up with the brilliant Production Design which pulled these three one-act plays together truly making the evening work. He was holding forth in this picture above, about that particular challenge....Charley is a brilliant Set Designer/Costume Designer.....This production was done at Theatre West in 1981. (That was thirty years ago....My Lord!) That's Betty in the center, standing behind Annie Guilbert, who played 'Jen The Hen', and that is Seemah over on the right, seated next to Annie....Seemah played my sister Robin, (who died in February, 2005)....Robin, was my nephew and niece, Danny and Debbie's Mom........The continuity of a family and the continuity of a life. This picture below was taken by dear Debbie, as we sat and talked about that play.......I was tired, but very happy! It had been a wonderful day, filled with wonderful people and wonderful food.....What could be better? So, there it is....my 80th Birthday Party....... One more time: My niece Debbie with me....and then below, me with 'Grand' niece Laurel...... And below.....me alone!And here are a few photographs of other earlier Birthdays........ 1993, Turning 62 years old......Dinner in The Cotswold's.....A memorable trip and a memorable Birthday, in every possible way!
1947: The Coconut Grove at The Ambassador Hotel, Los Angeles...my 16th Birthday.......
1937-38: At Huckleberry Hill Farm, Angels, PA. I either turned 6 or 7...I cannot remember which.......
1935: I was just four years old.......
1931: Baby Naomi.....Great Neck, New York......And now, I am 80 years old. It is difficult to fathom. Suddenly, it feels like the years flew by really really swiftly......




More To Come........







25 Comments:
had this to say:

Love the photos of you throughout the years! You still have that twinkle in your eyes!

I love the behind the scenes shot of all the people that make your parties such a wonderful success.

My favourite photo is the one of you with your hand to your face smiling.

I'm so pleased your day was so wonderful!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 2:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

as always such fun to be able to feel like I am there watching everything going on.

love the "ages"! you are so clever!

I always enjoyed Carol Cook and glad to read her humor is still in tact, "if it isn't chocolate its a vegetable to me" LOL I rarely laugh at 6:20 am but she managed to drag it out of me lol

I am so glad you have all these photos to add to all your wonderful memories!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 3:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi: You are certainly making the most of your 80th bithday party... WOW, four posts!
It's fascinating to see a little bit more of your lovely house, all the art on the walls, and of course, the action going on in the kitchen.
And I can't get over the size of that golden "80" balloon.... as they say, size DOES matter!
What a marvellous time everyone had, I hope that I'll have as many friends when my turn comes to host my 80th birthday party!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 4:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I lovely photo retrospective. You've changed, but then again you haven't, if that makes sense. The "real" Naomi shines through each photo.

Cheers.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 5:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi,
A nice way to wrap things up.
I don't think we can see how fast the years are going by until they've gone by. It's then, when we realize we can't get them back.
Kevin

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 7:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!

Enjoyed the pics through the years, especially the Coconut Grove photo and the 1935 photo. Is that a toy dog that you are holding when you were 4? Do you remember it?

I agree with R. Sherman. You've changed; but then again you haven't.

Have a terrific rest of the week.

Stan

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 8:56:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Seemah - 87?! Oh my gosh, those are some good genes at work there. She really doesn't look her age, neither do you, avoiding going gray. I started seeing "angel hair" on my head before I even hit 40. My favorite picture is one of the later ones, with you tired but happy. It's such a beautiful shot. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday surrounded by so many people who love you.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 9:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Look at you at 16!! what a beauty (and still one today)

I love the top shot, forget the beard - the balloon looks like it's going to devour you both

I showed Hope the pics from the start, she's really only interested in the balloon and the cakes
and the flowers, she loves flowers
she also thinks - "Omi 8 now?"

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 3:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm with Joey on my favorite shot of you. You have just been worn down by the busy day but are glowing with the tons of love and excitement shown to you. Your pleasure shows.
What a wonderful party Naomi and it was also nice to see the people who do work behind the scenes for all your marvelous parties.
That reverse of birthdays was a perfect ending. Eighty was a grand affair.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 3:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, it is terrific to see the photos of you in childhood, alongside the other pix. You look very good for your age and Seemah is a miracle!! I would never have believed she was tht age!!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 4:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Chocolate IS a vegetable. Thank you!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 8:56:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Another wonderful post about a very special party. What a great 'Team Naomi' you have to help you create such a lovely atmosphere - to say nothing of the scrumptious food.
It's a landmark - your first real party without your dear friend Betty. But I'll bet she was there.
Marvellous also to see you all in your younger days when you were all a work in progress. You all turned out smashing tell your Ma!!

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 4:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a glorious celebration! Lovely! Absolutely lovely, Naomi!

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looking good, Naomi! This is like a little movie that you don't want to end and with some nice special features in the old birthday photos. I loved all the angles and behind the scenes shots.

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

my dear lady - i simply could not resist another chance to visit such a magnificent party behind the scenes - what fantastic photos and story-telling! and like others, i especially loved seeing the yesteryear photos of you individually - all beautiful - thanks so much for allowing me to drop by unannounced! have a fantastic weekend!

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 4:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So much I could say, but I'll just say thank you for sharing your 80th with me. Love seeing you as time flies past.

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 8:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi!!!

Why is it that the most random online searches lead me back to you?!?! I was reading a review of a book, which then led to an article about TV in the 60's, which mentioned one of my favorites when I was about 9,"Here Come the Brides", which leads me to Wiki to see where these people are, which leads me to...well, you know where I'm going....TOO FUNNY!!! Your most recent post even!!! Bridget H looks awesome! She certainly had my heart as a young lad.

Seriously, this is too funny that I found myself back on your blog tonight!

I hope that you are well and know that I am thinking of you.

XXX
Stan

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 11:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I read your last three posts – we were away in Tennessee welcoming our newest grandson.
What a fun birthday party! I can see how happy you were surrounded by so many people dear to you. When you are very young you do not realize how quickly the years go by, but they do, so we might as well be happy. I can visualize all the festivities in your lovely home. The chocolate cake certainly looks like a super yummy affair. I really enjoyed looking at you and your party – it made me feel like I was there with y’all. Thank you for sharing this celebration with us.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 2:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, what a wonderful Birthday Party!
I enjoyed all those photos!
Very beautiful your photos throughout the years. And my favourite picture is the one of you on the couch with a lovely smile on your face. You look great and very happy!

My congratulations also to Will Grover, to Mary and to Crystal!

Thanks for sharing those fantastic moments!
(((Many hugs)))

Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 2:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved reading this and learning more about your wonderful party! All the photos are wonderful and you telling it makes me feel like I was there, sort of on the sidelines watching!

Life does go fast. Even at my age, I feel like it has passed so quickly. Where do the years go? But in the Bible it says that life is like a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away. Tis so true......

Hugs dear lady! Hope dear Sweetie is doing okay!

Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 12:27:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Enjoying your pictures. I will be home by the end of the week in order to see all your bday posts, thanks for sharing your fun day!

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 12:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos! It's so nice to see the pictures of you growing up. It just shows that you've aged beautifully and gracefully :)

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 2:12:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, just quick hello, and Happy Belated Birthday. Looked like you had a great time. Have not been reading to much on line. Life has been a bit crazy. I have a new grandson, he was born Memorial Day Rhys 5lbs. 7 oz. And an extra blessing was got to be with his mom and dad when he delivered. Born with his blue eyes wide open. What a rush. I was out c-sections for all of mine. So for now enjoy the rest of the summer.
Best Wishes
Pat from NY

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You haven't changed a bit.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 12:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A very Happy Birthday! - I'm in your town at the moment and maybe will see some of the sights you write about!

Best,

rashbre

Monday, August 1, 2011 at 6:48:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.