Wednesday, September 15, 2010
hollywood tours

This is a Tour Trolley....you see these all over the place if you are out and about driving around Los Angeles. This is a big big business here....On one of my "outings" with Shawn---we were in Beverly Hills at the time----here was this very charming looking Trolley/bus you see above and below.....They take people out on these Tours of The Stars Homes. You see them in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc., etc., etc.....They drive all around the different neighborhoods and give a running commentary about who's house is "who's"....sometimes they stop and if you are traveling on that particular street, you have to go around them.....There are all sorts of Vehicles that are used for these Tours, besides this type above, and as I said, the Tours are everywhere. This type of Van above, seems to be a very popular size and I see this type all the time up in my neighborhood---in fact, they seem to be on a "every Half-Hour" type schedule.....When former blogger Wendy W. was visiting here in Los Angeles a few years ago from New Zealand, she and her husband took one of these tours the day before they visited me....That next day, we were out front taking some pictures when one of these Starline Tour Vans came by..... So, I got a picture or two of Wendy talking to the Driver/Guide----he was not the same gentleman that had conducted their tour---they have a lot of these Vans and Drivers.....The Tour they were on originated out of the Starline Tour place right near Grauman's Chinese Theatre---at least, that is where it used to be located......Below. a picture of Wendy and me....that was four years ago and quite a few pounds ago, too....lol. In other words I was younger and thinner.....! It was while we were out here taking these pictures that the Starline Van came by......There are many other Vehicles and Company's that do these tours of The Stars Homes.....Like this one below. This one above is quite a colorful "open-air" long Truck....This was taken the same day as the pictures of "Linda", the Map seller....It turned out that just down the street was the house that Michael Jackson was living in when he died....There were a lot of 'looky loos', including this Open Air Truck....... They had been stopped in front of Linda's stand...but then moved on to Michael Jackson's house......We talked to Linda for a bit and I took some pictures...Then we moved on and there was the Michael Jackson house---another post for another day..... Above.....there is an Open Air Truck and a closed Guideline Van, behind it---stopped at a red light on Sunset and Fairfax....I'm telling you, these "tours" are ev-er-y-where.....! And all these pictures are tours that I saw happening when out for a drive....... This is a good size Open Top Bus that was on Sunset Blvd near Sunset Plaza Drive.....I love how they paint these vehicles so they reflect who the particular Tour Company is.....This bus above was really big.....! I don't have any idea what the prices are for these different tours and how the vehicle used may effect the prices. I've never taken one of these and no doubt, never will. Though, it looks like you can "hire" a private-type tour, if that is what you want and need, and given my Health Issues, that is what I would definitely need. It would be interesting for me to hear the running dialogue that goes with these tours, mostly because I wonder if I would hear anything I don't already know. Below is what I think might be called the "economy" Tour-Vehicle.......And it is in what might be considered the 'economy' part of town, too.....Beachwood, which would be East Hollywood, sort of.....And it is where the Hollywood Sign resides. I'm sure that is why this Truck was there. And the Beachwood area does have an interesting history..... You can see what I mean about this being the economy truck......! Below, another Tour Van..... I cannot get over how many different sizes of Vans there are--some have four windows and some have five, like this one above.....Starline must have so many kinds of vehicles...It is simply amazing....! But, I think my favorite of these vehicles is that Red Trolley. It is probably not the most comfortable, but it sure is the cutest looking one, to me.......!

I cannot believe this is already the middle of September....where has this summer gone? A better question: Where has this year gone?


More To Come..........


















32 Comments:
had this to say:

I think the red trolley is my favourite too Naomi!
my boyfriend and I keep talking about how we'd love to go to the US together... We've both been before, seperately, many years ago.
I think I'll put a red trolley Hollywood tour on our wish list!!
Hope you're doing well.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 1:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

in the 10 yrs I lived there I never did do one of those tours but I did see some of those buses! I have to admit, I never saw the trolley.. that one is cute! I would imagine a person who could do a little comedy in his continual monologue for the tour would be a fun way to spend some time...but as you saw I found other ways to amuse myself lol
have a good day Naomi!!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 4:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

If I were ever going to do one of those tours (and I doubt that very much) the red trolley would certainly be my choice. I have never seen the beauty to paying money to look at someone's home (unless I am going inside!) LOL

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I wonder how many tour companies there are in L.A. and its surroundings. There's certainly enough tourists and sights to keep a lot busy, even in bad economic times.

Cheers.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Twice in my life I have lived on streets where buses regularly drove through. One time I was on a Greyhound or Trailways route, another time the City buses would come through quite regularly. It could be very loud and stinky with the exhaust. I hope these buses don't disturb your peace.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The red and yellow is my fav. Reminds me of and old Street Car.

However, I think this tours is a kind of suspect or looking into privacy in a way speculative. But, if it's for the benefit for all parts, including the residents, it's ok.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Interesting. I haven't been to that area enough to have seen any of that. I think I wouldn't do a tour though, fascinating as I find it to see where creative people choose to live, but it would seem invasive of privacy and just like when I see someone famous out somewhere I don't stare, I wouldn't feel right about it.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 10:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think when we came to Hollywood we must have picked the wrong areas to look at! It was the winter time too, and everything seemed a bit grey and grubby.

We should have gone on a tour bus!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't stop laughing. Too funny. The economy van---D-List stars? hahaha Well, better to keep them in vans than loose. Seattle is so cool. I just love the people here. Bill Gates can ask a stranger for a dollar. TV stars can drink at Starbuck's, walk around and we could care less. We LOVE the arts here. WE just respect the work and the artist. I leave town when such vans move in. (Listen to me, and I, who can't get a decent van like those shown to drive my power chair and me to my Dr. appts. The lift on the one at my retirement home is currently broken.) (AGAIN)
Oh, I am seeing a comment. oops, I mean, I'm sure they are fun...like Disneyland! (I try not to read other comments before I dash off my own.)

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 6:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Every city has its own tour bus, here in Singapore we have what you call the 'Hippo Bus' like the touristy London bus and the duck tour bus too that goes on land and sea :)

I'll bring you if you come to visit me Naomi :D

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of tour buses. We took a couple of drives in our car through Beverly Hills after we moved here over thirty years ago, but never got a map or looked for specific stars homes. Some houses looked like a star probably lived there. On the other hand it might have been some big producer. I'll never know.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

And all these people take these tours in the hope to see a real celeb? Humanity is sometimes a funny species...lol

But if I would ever take a tour I would go for the red trolley.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I took one of those red trolley tours in Boston
same exact trolley
they are a bit bumpy and cramped inside

I love the colorful open air bus
the other ones look like flatbed trucks

you and Wendy are so pretty :)

Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 9:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

If they come down your street, you must have some pretty interesting neighbors. I've never been a tour bus type. I like to do things on my own, although we did do that Universal Studios ride/tour back in the day. And you're right about the year speeding by. And they seem to go by faster every year!

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 12:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think the open ones are only fair. If people are going to look at a stars house, the stars should be able to look back at them also.
The red trolley is my definite favorite however.

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 4:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

what fun! love the photos (especially the one with you in it, too!) and i'm with you-- where oh where has this year gone?!

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 9:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I like all those different vans, trucks and buses and my favorite is the colorful, open air truck with the palms painted on it. It's amazing how many of them are out there!

I think it'd be great if you could get a private tour and hear what they had to say. If I were in L.A., I'd join you!

Happy Weekend, my friend. Hope you and Sweetie have a wonderful time together!

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 12:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! I enjoyed this tour of the tour buses!! Haha! I like the bigger open ones and I also like the red trolley! I guess that is one thing to do in Hollywood, see where the rich and famous live.

I find it amazing that you saw all these in one day! It looks like a thriving business!

I enjoyed your oddities post too. Love the map seller's huge patriotic hat!! He should sell those along with the maps!

Hope dear Sweetie is still doing great. Hugs to both of you!

Friday, September 17, 2010 at 4:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I so did one or two of those tours in my time. I recall the last one I did, which is like twenty years ago (!!!) a woman was sitting beside me with dark glasses on whihc she never removed. I noticed that she had stitches or something round her eyes so I guess she had had some surgery. Fascintaintg place you live in Naomi. Now to catch up on all your other posts!!! Hope you are fighting fit and that baby of yours is in good health. Off to find out more...

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 12:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've done that red trolley bus in Hollywood! I suppose its inevitable in a place so famous that there would be this kind of traffic.

Of course the guide was full of stories about the houses and stars and the whole area but its hard to know how much was embellished!

In London we have a rather naughty list of 'things to tell tourists' that aren't quite true...

Thanks for the guided tour (again!)

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 3:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

those buses are so cool to look at.. I sometimes wish I lived where there is more action but I am happy right where I am for now. Maybe someday it would be worth visiting out there but not living there. Thanks for sharing your photo's and life with us..

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 5:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We have those same tours in Palm Springs, people who love to see the celebrity homes. Its good for the economy to have people taking tours!

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 10:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hate the jungle, but I love tours down there.

I only question the information which is being told when they visit stars homes though.

I've learned the hard way not to believe anything I read on a page, nothing I hear to be the truth, and about half of what I see with my eyes.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 3:17:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I always imagine they talk about the old greats that we know so well but of course there is a new generation of stars many of whom I'm not familiar with.
It would be sad if people like Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, Rosalind Russell and - one of my favourites - George Brent - were forgotten.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This year has flown by!

Those tour buses with the open tops freak me out. I want something covering my head when rolling down the road (no matter how slow they may drive).

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 7:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember when Wendy visited. I took a tour once in the beach town I grew up in and they had some stuff wrong! I will add this trolley tour to my Hollywood fantasy.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 8:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You make it sound like it would be fun to be a tourist in my hometown!

Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 10:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Interesting post !

Ive been to Hollywood but never took one one these tours. I just thought that I would never learn anything nor would I see anything special. But now after your review, I have changed my opinion !

Monday, September 20, 2010 at 12:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm definitely going to do one of those tours whenever I hit Hollywood, let me tell you!

Monday, September 20, 2010 at 1:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the tour :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 6:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

OH MY NIomi!! I am coming out to LA and was thinking about doing one of these tackky tour rides!! Maybe I just should hire you! LOL I had been ill and ot blogging so I was trying to catch up on all your posts. I am hoping this finds you well! I was on LI a few weeks back in Great Neck and thought of you! Marilyn (the girl from LI) HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gordon too!! *giggle*

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My partner Michael Kellerman, owned the red and green trolley AND the blue "economy"(LOL) "truck" that was pictured going through Beechwood Canyon. (It was actually a 15 passenger van with the top chopped off). He was a good soul, and he died on August 3, 2012. He had lost the tour company two years prior. He died in my arms.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 at 2:33:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.