Saturday, June 26, 2010
my birthday

So this little bit of a thing above---is me. I was born at 3:25 a.m., (so I was told), on June 27th 1931....and this Sunday...is my natal-day...I was thinking it would be fun to look up some of the things that happened the year I was born....and other stuff about that year, too....So, here goes! The very beautiful Empire State Building was finished in 1931. It is one of the most exquisite examples of Art Deco Architecture, ever---especially the interior.....Growing up just outside of NYC, we spent a lot of time in that lovely building--especially on the top, and my sister Robin's husband worked in the building 'back in the day'....He was working there when a B-25 plane crashed into it in July, 1945.....Yes, that happened.Click on this link to read about it. The year of my birth, the State of Nevada made gambling, of all kinds, legal! 1931 was a good year, wasn't it? And btw, during the summer of 1945, my mother, my sister Gene, my brother Gordon and I, spent 8 weeks just 12 miles outside of Reno, getting "our" Divorce from my father. It only suppose to take 6 weeks residency, but if someone doesn't sign the papers till he gets good and ready and in the mood---well, we were there for eight weeks! Not a whole lot was happening out there on 'The Ranch' back in 1945....I did find some kind of a bone which I was sure belonged to a very exotic animal...or, maybe a person.....A good segue to something else that happened in 1931.The great Georgia O'Keefe painted her first Cows Skull....This is called "Red, White & Blue Cow Skull", the first of many many beautiful Cow Skulls that O'Keefe painted, all of them really really beautiful.....Here is a picture below, of my father with Georgia O'Keefe, many years later...... They were good friends. (I never met her...). My father and Olga used to go visit O'Keefe in New Mexico where she lived in Abiquiu. It's a sweet picture, isn't it? What a great great Artist she was.....a pioneer in the Art World and a true pioneer for women, too.....The very recent TV Movie about Georgia O'Keefe with Joan Allen playing her is a gem. Very much worth seeing if you haven't seen it....Moving on.....more 1931 stuff...... Did you know that 1931 was the year that The Star Spangled Banner officially became our National Anthem? I didn't know that either. And I have no idea why it took so long.....!This was the year that the notorious Al Capone was convicted of Tax Evasion.....and as you can see from this Newspaper, it is also the year that Thomas Alva Edison died----so odd that these two incidents would have happened on the same day........Here is a picture of Capone, below.......It is interesting that two of the most popular films in 1931 were these two, below......"Little Caesar" and "Public Enemy"...... With two of the most popular and incredibly talented actors---who's careers continued waaaay into the 1970's and 1980's----Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney. I was lucky enough to meet both these wonderfully talented men in the 1960's. Robinson was an avid Art Collector and knew my father, and Cagney was great great friends with the actor/director, Richard Whorf, who's son David, was a great friend of my dear Sammy's---having worked together in "PT-109". I went to a Christmas party at the elder Whorf's in the early '60's, and Cagney was there. What a thrill that was---what a truly thrilling moment that was, to just say, 'Hello', and 'Merry Christmas". Cagney could do anything...Sing, Dance, Comedy, serious Drama, etc.....He was the consummate professional, as was Edward G., too....... The very Beautiful Waldorf=Astoria Hotel---the newer one, opened on Park Avenue, NYC, in 1931. Another gorgeous example of 'Art Deco" architecture, inside and out. This was one of the truly Grand Hotels in the world, but particularly in New York City. Many people lived in The Waldorf Towers on a regular basis---like the incomparable composer, Cole Porter......This Hotel has history in my life, too. My sister Robin, who was eight years older than me and who died, in February, 2005, was married there in 1944....Drat! I don't have any of those pictures---I used to, but I sent them all back to her waaaaay before computer scanning was possible....There is this wonderful Wedding Book. Oh how I wish I could show you some of those pictures....But, suffice it to say, it was a lovely day. It wasn't a huge extravaganza---that was not Robin and Bobby's way---but it was a really really sweet day....Moving along...... Gas was .10 cents a gallon in 1931. Bread, was .8 cents a loaf, and 'Hamburger Meat' was .11 cents a pound! Well, yes....times have changed in 79 years, folks.....lol! There is lots more, but I will only share one more thing about my birth year of 1931...the song, "AS TIME GOES BY" was written that year for a Broadway show by composer/lyricist Herman Hupfield, for a show called, "Everybody's Welcome". No one remembers that or him. What we do remember and deeply cherish, is that 'As Time Goes By' was resurrected in 1942 to be in the classic-most-popular-film-of-all-time, "Casablanca".......
If there is anyone reading this right now who does not know this film----well, rent it, buy it, but please, please, puleaassseee, see it.....Here is a link to the songs that were popular that year....And among them--here are just a few titles: "Who Cares", "I Surrender Dear". "Dancing In The Dark", and "Love Letters In The Sand", along with "As Time Goes By"....


So, a lot happened 79 years ago...including me being born at 3:25 am on June 27th, 1931. Happy Birthday To Me. And this little baby turned into this person..... Here I am with my dear friend Kim....Her daughter had brought her over to visit and I thought it would be fun to take a few pictures....And, as I have said before....I don't dye my hair! And it is weird because all of my siblings hair got not only gray, but pretty much white....So I don't know why mine has so little gray, but, it does.....This picture was taken on June 10th....just a few weeks ago. Here below is another picture of me taken at an earlier time....I don't think I have ever posted it before......Taken in 1970......I was in a play called "L.A. Under Siege"......I had turned 39 two months before this picture was taken......That eye make-up is back, once again....(lol)......





More To Come.........











39 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy Birthday !

Yes, that eyeliner is back. I wear mine like that !

Thank you for sharing your experiences and enlightening us to your year.

Beautiful baby pictures !

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 12:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A *Very* Happy Birthday Naomi! Many happy returns!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 1:50:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Happy Birthday tomorrow dear Naomi. I hadn't forgotten and I hope your birthday is as super as all the ones you have arranged for others.
What a splendid idea to make a compilation of all the great things that happened that year - apart from your appearance - for which we are all grateful.
I love the photos of you both older and younger. As Hoss once said you were quite a gal and still are.
Here's a big cyber hug coming your way. xoxox

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 2:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope you have a most glorious and wonderful Birthday Naomi! What a great post to do! But it would be nothing without your always wonderful photo's!!! and I think you look marvelous!

Big Birthday Hugs!!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 3:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great post! I bought a CD a few years ago containing stuff from my birth year and forgot all about it. I'll use it next April for my big 50th. I loved your Reno story. It reminded me of The Women. I'm sure you've seen it - the 1939 version I mean. Was it really like that? As usual, this is one of your posts that makes me want to go back in time and hang out with you. You've really had a wonderful life.
Happy Birthday! I hope Sunday is fun and happy. With chocolate.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 3:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

A very Happy Birthday to you! I love Art Deco. I've been in many of these buildings in NYC and took many, many pictures trying to capture the essence of the design. I just love it! It's funny how many experiences people have that are similar. My mom flew to Alabama for a quickie divorce around 1961-1962 because they didn't require residency at the time and she had my dad's other wife fly up from Louisiana too, to prove bigamy and get the divorce without my dad's cooperation. Um, yeah, very interesting story there for another time. ;-) Did you notice that Edward G. Robinson looked like Al Capone (the eyebrows, the lips)? As for not coloring your hair - ENVY! I just colored mine again Wednesday night because the picture I posted from my visit to Ohio bothered me at how much gray and white I had and it clashed with the honey blonde where there was no gray. Vanity thy name is woman. Oh well, have a great day, I hope you're visited by many loved ones and have a great celebration. I left you a present on my blog last night. Go see.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 4:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the way your own life intertwined with most of those facts. Those were the days, huh! They always seeem better looking back.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL birthday. I'll be thinking of you.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 4:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday, you wonderful Old Lady! You were a very cute baby. And I am very excited that your daddy knew Georgia O'Keeffe. I adore her paintings. Also Casablanca is one of my all-time favourite films. I hope you have a fabulous Birthday. Many happy returns, xxxooo Michaela

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, 1931 was a very busy year.Did not know that about the Empire State building.
Of course the biggest thing in
1931 was that cutie pie little girl making her entrance. You totally upstaged the other events.
"As Time Goes By" is the theme of my very favorite BBC sitcom with Judy Dench.
Be back tomorrow on your real
B-day but just in case, have a terrific Birthday.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 5:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have really done your research into all the memorable events of 1931. Well done! I am wishing you a very happy birthday, you look as lovely now as you did when you were 39. Birthdays seem to arrive faster every year don't they? Enjoy the day.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Look at all the wonderful things that happened in 1931...most importantly, YOU came into the world, my friend!!

Love all the pics of the buildings and the b & w photo of your father with O'Keefe...beautiful!

I feel like watching "Casablanca" again after reading this post...and lunching with you and the ladies next week. :)

Have a fantastic time and a very happy birthday tomorrow!!

xo
Ileana

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A Very HAPPY BIRTHDAY, dear Naomi!
What a great idea you had to show us some of the things that happened the year you was born! I enjoyed so much seeing the events and your photos. What a lovely and adorable baby you was. I want to reach through the computer screen and give to you a big kiss!
Tomorrow I will be back to another Happy Birthday to you!
(((Many hugs)))

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday, dear, and if I may say, you look younger than your chronological age.

Cheers.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 7:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday, Naomi!!!!! And many more healthy happy years!!!

Love the photos and memories!!!

Intersting that we were both born at 3:25 AM. I've often thought that birth time is linked to whether one is a night owl!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy happy birthday Naomi!! May you have a wonderful day full of everything you like!

I love Georgia O'Keefe's work. It always seems so contemporary to me.

Wow, so much happened the year you were born! I have more grey hair than you! :D

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fun post! Interesting things happened that year, and I would have thought some of them were much earlier.

I hope you have a great birthday, Naomi, and a good party coming up!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That was great, connecting the dots. Especially interesting that your father knew O'Keeffe, got to visit her. I have been to that country also just to see where she found her inspiration and the, of course, the gallery in Santa Fe. I love her work but also have found her life fascinating and really enjoyed the recent biopic. I liked it so much that I bought it. Stieglitz also is a very interesting person and artist, a contributor to our culture. What a combination they were.

Happy birthday and hope your year ahead will be filled with joy. You bring so much joy to so many readers through your thoughtful blog.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 11:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Have a great birthday...I always think of you on June 27th - cause it is my daughter, Tara's birthday.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 12:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ah, we're both June babies!

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! (Or as it's said in Welsh... "Penblwydd Hapus!".

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 12:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday, I was born July 15 46 and I'll just have to check on what important happened that day. How fun it was to read the things that happened in your year My grammology email is gone for now so you can't communicate..thus be safe...

Take care..
Have a great weekend
Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 2:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Casablanca is my favorite movie and Martin's. We watch it every few months on date night. I think I could say almost every line with the film! I LOVE how you showed 1931 and all the wonderful things that came along that year. Including you!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Filled with nothing but good things :)

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 7:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday to you! :)

I thought of you as I was attending my friend's daughter's birthday party today. I had an extra bite of cake on your behalf, wasn't that nice of me? ;)

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 10:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Morgan
had this to say:

Happy Birthday....You have a Wonderful blog and I enjoy reading it very much.Have a wonderful Birthday
Morgan From Canada :)

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 10:34:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wishing you a very, very happy birthday, Naomi dear, best wishes and a big hug from sunny Spain.

Cheers!!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 1:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wishing you a wonderful birthday Naomi, 79 years young! I really enjoyed reading through this post and especially enjoyed the baby photos!! Happy Birthday! :)

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 2:37:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy, happy birthday.
Genie

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 4:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Naomi! This was a great post, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. The peek back in history was a treat. PS- The Waldorf remains my hotel of choice whenever I am in NYC. Its a gem.

PSPS did you see Joyce last week?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 7:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's here. Happy Birthday on your actual day. Just sent off my greetings to my best friend who waited 8 years to the day after you to make her entrance.
You are both keepers. Have a wonderful day.

SNP (still not posting)

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 8:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have seen your comments on so many of the sites I visit...so many times and you have always seemed like such a warm, thoughtful and dear lady. I just wanted to add my sincerest wishes for a most wonderful and joyous birthday for you today. What a great post of your birthday year....very clever....and your pics are wonderful. Happy Birthday sweet Naomi... ~Joy

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope you have a most lovely birthday!

It was neat seeing how things were in your birth year. I was born in 1976 and when I was a kid, I thought all of those bicentennial "special" quarters were made just for me. LOL

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 12:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I hope you have a most wonderful and lovely Birthday dear Naomi!
I am thinking of you all this day.
(((A big hug to you)))

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy b-day and cant wait to hear about the Ladies Who Lunch on this one.. It will be another Great Post..

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Birthday, Naomi! My mom was born on June 25, 1931! She works full time and told the whole family that sheis going to retire when she is 80. Have a wonderful day - can't wait to see the party pics!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 7:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday! Thank you for sharing.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 9:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy Happy Birthday to you dearest Naomi! You're such an adorable baby way back then and now a beautiful woman. We wish you many more birthdays to come! Hugs from Odd and Charles! Our small gift might be late, but we hope that it arrives on your doorstep soon.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 12:59:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Kevin Raftery
had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
Here's wishing you a very Happy 79th!

It is amazing how the years go by so fast. To quote Tennyson, "What is it that will last?"

All The Best, Kevin

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fascinating! Great photos! Happy, Happy Birthday, Naomi, hope you had a fantastic day (and that a ladies luncheon will soon follow!). And by the way, isn't it odd how sweet Al Capone looks in that picture? Oy! Would love to see the photos of that wedding at the Waldorf--can you get that album back? Of course you share your special day with an exciting group--from Helen Keller to Ross Perot to Isabelle Adjani. And, very appropriately, Antoinette Perry. Happy Day!

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday a day late. 1931 was, in the words of Frank Sinatra, "a very good year". Great post, but then they always are here. Thanks for sharing.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful birthday post Naomi. When I looked at your last picture my immediate thought was what fantastic eyes and makeup then read what you said about it coming back again. You are one sexy lady Miss Naomi, very exotic. And what an adorable baby too - and really you have not changed. You can tell who this baby is without question don't you think? I am jealous of your hair. It is odd when your siblings have gone white but hey its a great thing. Perhaps one of your parents kept their hair colour until later in life? I know my Dad has but my mother was going grey at 24 already. I guess if you knew the secret you would be rich. Mine is getting grey and I can tell you I am going to be dying it until I get to be a grandmother at least. I have to say though looking at you and your friends I find so much inspiration for aging gracefully. You ladies do it in style.

AND what a lovely surprise, my hero is Georgia O'Keefe. I have so many of books about her and her work. Strangely there is one I have whose cover of a flower reminds me of your images of flowers. I think of it every time I see your photos - both artists. Just devine images. Such an interesting looking woman too isnt she? the word wizened comes to mind when I look at her. What did your father do Naomi? He seemed to know a lot of famous artists. He would have had some interesting stories to tell and its a wonderful legacy that you have all these photos.

Gosh I have missed your blog a whole lot but I have my issues all sorted now. I can get down to being normal again (whatever normal is, he he).

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 4:11:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.