Friday, February 19, 2010
pan +

Look at this cute toe above! It belongs to this very dear foot, below! And here below is the whole statue.....This is in the front garden on the side of a house in Trousdale Estates.....Charming, beyond words.......! He sits on top of a lot of stone-work---and you can see that there are lights set into that stone-work so that he is lit up at night.....It is 'Pan'! A slightly closer look at this wonderful "character". Pan is from Greek mythology...though I don't think he looked like this nor did he have a flute like this...., though there are some pictures of him with a rather modern looking flute.......but not such modern looking clothes. This depiction of Pan is kind of the Huckleberry Finn version.....No shoes and he looks quite modern in his comfy clothes....... And in this picture above, his Flute looks like it is sort of attached to his nose.....! This is another interesting sculpture that is a part of the many sculptures I saw in my outing with Lee...... In this picture above, you can see that he is surrounded by a lot of foliage---at least from this particular angle. He too looks like he was created by the same people who produced some of the other sculptures in my first post about Trousdale. This was the street that Pan was on and somewhere further up the street was this very different but very interesting sculpture that you see below. It is sitting practically right on the street at the edge of the property..... Above is his Head/Face....and to be honest, I have no idea what or who he is supposed to be.....Below, here is his foot. And below.....a full body shot of this interesting modern piece....And though there is a "box" there---it has no opening for the mail.....Maybe it did have a different top on that box at one time, but from what I can see, there is no mail slot of any kind now. You do see the most interesting things while driving around this particular neighborhood.....I'll be posting some other things seen in Trousdale, next time around. Well, they are interesting to me and I hope they are interesting to you, too.

More To Come.........










23 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I wonder if the reason most of our garden decor is in stone rather than the metal your sculptures are made of(I'm assuming here) is because with our everlasting rain the metal would immediately rust. Nevertheless I'd love Pan for my garden. My robin is sweet but he comes and goes all the time. Pan would be more reliable.

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 3:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

ohhhh, i do like Pan! beautiful sculpture!! I almost said "but he doesn't look like Mickey Rooney!" but Mickey played Puck not Pan! duh! (note to myself: drink more coffee before commenting ! lol)

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 4:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm not much of a sculpture fan, but I will say, I think sculpture belongs outdoors, such as the garden setting you show. There's something about making a piece a part of its surroundings that makes it much more interesting to me.

Cheers.

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 5:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love the sculpture! I can't wait to see more of Trousdale.

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 11:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I think it would be so neat to have a sculpture like that in my garden.

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 1:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful garden and what a beautiful sculpture as well. I would love that kind of sculpture in my future garden.

Finally, we have internet now at our new place and it's so nice to visit your blog again!

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 3:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love the sculpture of Pan, Naomi! If he was on my property though, he would probably scare all the resident deer!

I enjoyed the post and pictures.

Hugs,

Renie

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 4:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

In Seattle, we are big on art outdoors---wish I could get some picks. Easy to love an artist.

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 6:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love the way you started this post with the toe shot of Pan and then the rest of him. He's beautiful!

The other one looks like a Pac Man, doesn't it (give or take a leg)?? :)

Can't wait to see more of your sites, as I won't be in your neighborhood any time soon. Show us what you've got!!

PS - Hope your Sweetie is feeling better now. Hugs to both of you, and happy weekend, my friend!! xo

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 6:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love Pan! How nice that they have such cute things on their lawns/gardens!! Not sure about that other one, but it reminded me of some computer game thing.....maybe! I don't know!

Anyway, I'm enjoying the tour and looking forward to the next part!

xxoxx,
Rachel

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 6:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great intro of Pan Naomi and looks like a lovely day when you shot this :D

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 4:51:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love whimsy and character in yards and houses. I think when you do something different that "speaks" to who you are and what you love, it makes your house a home.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 6:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We have a lovely statue of Pan in London and as a child I had a picture of Pan on my bedroom wall.

I am defintiely a Pan fan :-)

Thank you for the beautifiul calendar, Nay my dear. It is currently brightening up my office wall and is the object of much appreciation :-)

cq

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 6:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wonderful post here, Naomi. I like how you "teased" us with the closeups along the way.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 8:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Pan is so incredibly detailed. Wow. Someone put a lot of work into that!

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 4:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love to see public art! Art is such an essential part of all our lives.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 7:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Yes! I do find it interesting so thanks for sharing Naomi - and keep on!

This myth figure Pan have fascinate me, ever since I was a child. He's well known in Norway.

Btw: Thanks for you're Olympic visit :-)

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

They are probably both products of their times, but somehow the Pan is rather more evocative than the whimsical engineering construction.

I guess its also about putting them into the right settings.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

When we were viewing houses in Scottsdale one of them had this delightful statue of a boy doing a handstand, just by the side of the front door.

It's turned out to be our favourite property so far.

Love the photos!

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 4:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That box being held by the PacMan statue has really picqued my interest. When I clicked on the picture to enlarge it, it even looked like someone had tried to break into it. It's like a Nancy Drew mystery: "The Secret of the PacMan Box."

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I just posted some shots of the Floyd Mardi Gras Ball (fundraiser for Blue Mountain School). In one my friend Luke in costume is on stage talking. I remember saying how much he reminds me of Pan, especially when he plays his pipes.

This Pan is more innocent than how I think of Pan. More like Peter!

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 9:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful garden and beautiful sculpture as well, Naomi! Love the ivy on the wall!
Many (((Hugs)))!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 10:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Pan is lovely and I would love to see him lit up at night. Have you been out driving because you have some lovely pictures to share with us. so much to see in your neighborhood I bet.

Monday, March 1, 2010 at 9:52:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.