Tuesday, January 26, 2010
jeff bridges

This is one of the great great performances of not just this year---but of any year! "CRAZY HEART"....is a wonderful picture and Jeff Bridges has never been better. And not only that, he has a body of work that is incredibly outstanding....! He has been Nominated for The Academy Award four times and has not won yet. The thing is---he makes it all look so easy that one may not realize what a really fantastic actor he is.

Back in the day, Beau, Jeff's older brother, and a wonderfully talented actor in his own right as well, was an early member of Theatre West, the Acting Workshop I have belonged to since 1962. Beau was very young and very very talented. About 6 or 7 years later, his younger brother Jeff, became a member, too....I think Jeff was 19 at the time. And that's when I got to know him. His God Mother, and my dear friend Betty Garrett and her late husband Larry Parks, (Jeff's God Father)....were best friends with Bud (Lloyd) and Dottie Bridges.....The two family's have known each other since Bud and Larry were both under contract to Columbia pictures, in the 1940's.....And the late Dottie Bridges was Garrett Parks' God Mother..... (At Betty's 80th Birthday Party....with her adorable handsome Godson)

In the last 10 days, Jeff Bridges has won Los Angeles Film Critics Choice Award.....The Golden Globe Award........And The Screen Actors Guild Award, all for Best Actor for "Crazy Heart".....I don't think there is any doubt that he will receive an Oscar Nomination, and I hope he wins the Oscar this time round, but you never know what The Academy members will do. But, it really feels like this is his year, to me.I have such high respect for Jeff as an actor and as a man. He is dedicated to his 'art', and he is dedicated to the plight of those less fortunate, too. He puts his money where his mouth is and he is also a very dedicated family man. One of the 'good guys', in my view. (Jeff....getting ready to make 'Wild Bill' with his father Bud, and Betty's younger son Andy, at Betty's 75th Birthday Party.....Family and Friends mean everything to these two family's.....)

Jeff has never given a bad performance. Starting waaaay back to the first film that the public really became aware of him, "The Last Picture Show", when he got his first Oscar Nomination, up to his most recent brilliant performance as 'Bad', in "Crazy Heart"---a must see movie.....There are a number of Jeff's performances that just knocked me out. "Starman".....What an incredible film and Jeff's performance is superb. The choices he made about this 'alien' from another planet were so beautifully rendered....it is a wonderful film in every way.My most favorite of all his pictures is "The Fabulous Baker Boys", where Jeff and Beau play duo piano playing brothers....Perfect, in every way. He looked lean and mean and sexy as hell. And Jeff and Beau together, with Michelle Pfeiffer in between---well, let's just say there was nothing sexier on film than the New Years Eve scene.Don't know this film? Run out right away and rent it! It also had the music of Dave Grusin and that was the icing on the cake for me. And of course seeing The Bridges Boys acting together in a film was and is a 'fabulous' and fun experience....."The Contender", with Joan Allen and Gary Oldman, is another favorite of mine.It is a wonderful screenplay by Rod Lurie about a very important subject--"integrity". Jeff plays The President of The United States and he is just delicious. He makes him a human being with quirks and flaws and at the same time he gives him great stature, too.....It's a funny performance that also becomes very very inspiring.He was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Supporting category for this one. I really thought he would win it, too.

Three other films of Jeff's that I just love, are "The Fisher King"....."The Big Lebowski".........And a lovely somewhat under-rated film, "Seabiscuit".........Jeff's performances in each of these films is detailed and specific and funny and touching and sweet, and always, always, always---he brings such humanity to every character he plays. He is, to me, the consummate 'actor'. Again, he makes it look so easy that many times his work is taken for granted or overlooked.
Now, we have 'Bad Blake' in "Crazy Heart". You fall in love with this alcoholic-over-the-hill country singer just the way Maggie Gyllenhaal does....It is a performance of such great nuance, and again, Jeff makes it looks easy. He IS Bad Blake. He becomes this man that has had great success and is now reduced to playing weekend gigs in Bowling Alleys, often leaving the stage in the middle of a performance to go outside and throw-up....How could one fall in love with this guy? Well, because there is such humanity in the man---with all his problems, he is still a talented guy just trying to get along---(And by the way, the songs are all great, and Jeff does all his own singing. The wonderful T-Bone Burnett wrote all the songs).....Something happens to him after he meets Maggie Gylenhaal's (She is wonderful too....) character---and as the story progresses, we see "Bad" progress, too....It is such a simple yet profound performance....well, if you haven't seen it, you absolutely must!At both The Golden Globes and The SAG Awards, the audiences gave Jeff a standing ovation---The Globes lasting a very long long time. It was thrilling....! And it says that his 'community' holds his talent and his body of work in the highest regard, and I just loved seeing that. And I just love him, too! He was the only 'winner' at both of these events that got a standing ovation when his 'win' was announced. It was truly touching to see, as was his response. So, do yourself a great great favor...Go see "Crazy Heart" as soon as you can. You won't be sorry you did, I promise you.Now on to The Oscars........




More To Come........







33 Comments:
had this to say:

Great post with amazing pictures, Naomi! I also love Jeff Bridges. I am looking forward to see "Crazy Heart" soon.
Have a nice day dear Naomi!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 5:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I was delighted that he got the SAG and the Golden Globe awards. I agree with every word you've written here. I can't wait to see Crazy Heart!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 5:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Can't wait to see this movie - thanks for the recommendation. It was filmed right here in New Mexico, which everyone is now calling "Tamalewood" because of its booming film industry.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:04:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I read that even though his body of work is impeccable, that he hasn't won as many awards as he should have because unlike a lot of "celebrities," he's an "actor" and doesn't campaign for the awards. Is that true? The article I read was full of praise not only for his acting, but also for his character and his true identity as an actor and not a celebrity. This movie hasn't come close to us yet. I may have to Netflix it if it doesn't come our way.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved "The Fabulous Baker Boys",and I'm a big fan of Michelle Pfeiffer.

I'll have to check out more of these films because I hardly seen any of them at all.

Thanks for the reviews Naomi!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:57:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love everything that Jeff does.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 10:14:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I kind of feel about him the same way I felt about Mickey Rourke's acclaim in The Wrestler: long overdue.

(BTW, is it just me, or is Jeff Bridges morphing into Kris Kristofferson?)

Cheers.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 10:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You've really done him justice here! I have been a fan of his and Beau's for a long time, and of course, their dad. I will have to make a point to see that new movie. Thanks, Naomi.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 11:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

oh m'gosh Naomi.. I've loved Jeff Bridges forever..and loved his dad too!!
Starman is one of my favorite all time movies! I never miss it when it's on television!! and you are right he is very very handsome!!! I've watched the awards and I am like the audience, I wanted to give him a standing ovation too!! I had forgotten that you mentioned before about Betty being his godmother..sheesh.. that's a great photo of them together !!!

I'll be hoping he gets an oscar to make this year his best yet!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 1:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have to tell you - I was thrilled that he won when I saw the Golden Globe. Certainly think he should win the Oscar!

He has always been a favorite of mine - as his brother!!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 3:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those sexy brothers are amazing, aren't they? Lucky Betty! ;)

Of course, there's their talent as well. I don't think I've seen a bad Jeff Bridges film. Actually, I missed a few of these that you mentioned, but that's what NetFlix is for.

I'm definitely seeing Crazy Heart after your wonderful review. All your recommendations have been great! Btw, I just added Grey Gardens to my queue, the movie, not the documentary. I can't wait to see Drew Barrymore as Little Edie!

Have a beautiful Wednesday, my friend. I'll be thinking of you as I pass your old street on my way to Lincoln Road!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

He is so very talented and quite the handsome man too! I will have to see Crazy Heart.

In the first photo I thought it was Kris Kristofferson! Amazing how the hair and beards can change how a person looks! I hope he wins the Grammy, but as you say..you never know how it'll go. I wish him all the luck in winning!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 10:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

He's one of my favorite actors too. And I remember his mother's poetry. It was swell, and she never stopped loving her husband. Lots of wisdom in that little book...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 11:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Just when I think you can't surprise me anymore with your connections, you do it again! I do hope he wins the Oscar. He certainly deserves it.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 12:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Looking forward to Crazy Heart. The Bridges family has impressed me through out the years for their talent but also for the way they have lead their lives off screen. Throw in darn good looking and you have the perfect actors.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 5:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It's been such a long time since there were so many movies out at the same time I want to see. But your review just bumped Crazy Heart from "Want" to "Must" see.

The charm in Jeff Bridges is that he appears to really like his work. His life. That makes his presence a blessing. On film- and I imagine, in life.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 6:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am a HUGE Bridge boys fan and have seen all their movies. I too favor The Baker Brothers, and can't wait to see Jeff's latest. What I love most about him is what a good guy he is, a man who know the value of loving a woman forever. I just love him all the more after reading your blog and knowing he is the real deal.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 8:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Did you think of me when you wrote this, Naomi, knowing how much I love Jeff Bridges and after the poem I wrote about the Golden Globes? I missed the SAG awards and the other but am looking forward to the Academy Awards. I hope the channel comes in! You mentioned some of my favorite Brides movies, like Fisher King and the Big L. How about Starman? Can't wait to see this latest!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 3:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

PS Did you know he has a blog (of sorts). Check it out here: http://www.jeffbridges.com/

I like the way he remembers his parents in so many of the interviews and acceptance speeches.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 3:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Ah, The Big Lebowski - it's a rule here that if it's on t.v. when flipping through the channels that we have to watch it.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 5:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

absolutely one of my favorite actors! it's always been a pleasure to watch him work. xoxoxo

(i thought of you as i watched the news about l.a. and hope all is well with you!)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 5:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

what a neat connection between you and jeff...he is one of my fav. actors and i was so glad he won his awards..loved his speeches. i haven't seen this movie yet but definitely plan to!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 6:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

great minds do think alike my wonderful, far more knowledgeable friend :)

you know I adore Jeff

I was checking out a bit of his other interests on his website

he's just wonderful!!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 5:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi dear Naomi,
Did you know that when I was a young girl I loved to see on tv Loyd Bridges movies?

Flora don't allows that Lisa and Brahma get in the house. She barks very angry and put both away. Lol!
But in the garden they play together pacifically. Flora is very territorial, I think.

Lisa, Brahma and Flora send kisses to you and to Swettie too.
(((Kisses and hugs))))

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 5:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'll keep my eye out for 'Crazy Heart'... Both Jeff and Beau have starred in some great films haven't they? ANd I love your connection to him. Cool.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 8:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors also and i very much hope he gets the Oscar. It will be richly deserved. He's the whole package and one of those guys who got better looking the older he got. Dare I say it? Yes, I do... yummmmmm

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 5:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hmmm, well, I'm not usually a fan of those "Jeff" people in general. Heh. Just a personal bias of mine. But, I do like Mr. Bridges and he does have great talent. Like you, I hope this is his year. *crosses fingers*

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 1:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Jeff Bridges is probably one of the most talented actors around at the monet and as you say, he makes it look so easy and natural too.

I became a fan from The Big Lebowski and no matter how many times I see that film I see something new in his performance - all the little nuances. I beleive he is also a talented photographer too and he seems like a real good guy and gentleman. I so hope he wins :)

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 5:56:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Way back when I used to watch the father - Lloyd on TV with my boys and have always been a fan of the family. I'm rooting for Jeff to get a long deserved Oscar. To me he is Mr Cool and I can't wait to see his new film.

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 8:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh what a great post Naomi. I must admit when he won these awards recently I immediately thought of you and Betty. What handsome guys they are, he and Beau. I always had a bit of a crush on Beau - he is kind of the cuddly type to me, lol!!

I am looking forward to seeing this film and fingers crossed that he does win an Oscar. Something tells me its going to be a definite! By the way your posts are so thorough and well researched. I learn so much every time I read one all the way over here in Oz. Take Care.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 at 8:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I hear this movie is awesome! I can't wait to see it!

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 9:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You already know what I think, so YEAH again haha.
Oscar - why yes I think SO ;)

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 11:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I really like Jeff Bridges. He has had some wonderful films but the Great Lebowski is just one of a kind. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I hope he takes the Oscar. I doubt he will feel like the most underappreciated actor in Hollywood anymore!

Monday, February 8, 2010 at 7:26:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.