Thursday, April 16, 2009
bella

I rented a film from Netflix called "Bella".....I honestly don't remember what made me want to rent this film in the first place except, I think it was because it won an Award at the Toronto Film Festival in 2006. I didn't really look at what the film was about after I got it from Netflix, so, when I watched it, it was like watching something I knew nothing about---for me---The BEST way to see a film.It is a lovely film in every way, and it really is about love. And I mean 'love' in all it's many forms. There is tragedy in the film and there is such hope, too. I loved that it is about a Latino family that really cares about one another---no one is a drug addict or a thief or a criminal. These are people, like you and me and most people: Good and Decent and Caring even though they may be flawed, as we all are and as the film probably is, too, in it's own way...BUT, it is an important voice for pro life. Pro-Life where there is love---not just because one feels Pro-Life is the better way, no matter what.It is also about redemption. A young beautiful soul of a man is redeemed by his feeling that it is more important to love than not. An accident happens. He is responsible. It changes his life completely...till, he sees an opportunity to love an unborn child of a woman he is drawn to....I tell you the truth, there is no way I can really write about this film and honestly explain the whole story. There are so very many subtleties. Just know this: I urge you to rent this film and have a wonderfully uplifting experience. One small thing. If there is a minor flaw in this film it is that more was needed before the picture ended. There are things left out---at least, they were for me----before this ultimately very satisfying ending.And here's the thing.....This is a very important good good touching film in spite of this minor flaw. And another reason to support this film is, that it was a labor of love and probably cost 1/87th of what most films cost these days.....This is a little gem of a movie, and the actors are all truly truly magnificent. The lead actor, Eduardo Verastequi is one of Mexico's biggest stars, and not only is he a very very handsome-you-cannot-take-your-eyes-off-him man, he is beyond splendid in his role. I tell you, there isn't a bad performance in the bunch. And believe me, when you watch this sweet picture, I don't think you will be disappointed in any way on any level.


More To Come.......








20 Comments:
had this to say:

I will put this in my movie queue to order. It sounds great.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 6:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I assume it is subtitled. Is that right? I will look for it.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sounds like a good one. I'll check it out and thanks for the review.

Cheers.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 7:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You gave such good review & details about this film that I just have to check it out, thank you :D

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 9:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for stopping by TNS. Loved your review and if the movie is as good as the review, it will be a winner. Hope it isn't subtitled but I can live with that. It is now on my queue. Thanks, always looking for a good movie.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 12:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a great movie. I will have to watch out for this one when we rent movies again.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 2:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oooo I loved that movie. I loved him. I loved her. I loved it. Loooooooove it. (can I say more?)

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 4:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You had me at "not only is he a very very handsome-you-cannot-take-your-eyes-off-him man..." ;)

For many reasons I feel I would enjoy this film. Good, decent, hard-working latinos are always a pleasure for me to watch, on and off screen. I also love the message that it is more important to love than not. I'll be sure to look for it the next time I'm at Blockbuster. Thanks for the review, Naomi. You've said enough without giving anything away!

Have a wonderful Friday, my friend!! :)

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 8:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Bella is a SUPERB film. Quietly uplifting. Memorable on many levels. Starting with the best day becoming the worst day. Never take a moment for granted. The importance of kindness. Of love. Of family. Of opening the door to destiny when she knocks. Sometimes most unexpectedly.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 9:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

it sounds exactly the kind of movie i could fall into right about now. thanks for this...

Friday, April 17, 2009 at 1:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Isn't it wonderful when you watch a film with no expectations or pre-conceived ideas and it turns out to be wonderful? This happened to me with 'Pleasantville' one year. It just came on TV and I started watchi ng and then couldn't stop. I think films touch us more this way than if we are fed the view of the film that the Producers put out to sell it.

Friday, April 17, 2009 at 2:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

small movies, no big special effects etc.. just a good story well acted... these movies are GEMS to find!!

Friday, April 17, 2009 at 4:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It very much sounds like a film worth watching, Naomi. My favorite ones are where there are no drugs/violence - just themes of love and tragedy and redemption like they used to make with no special effects to blur the beauty of the storyline...

Friday, April 17, 2009 at 10:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I saw this movie awhile back, and I loved it. The main actor is indeed captivating, as was the other characters. The movie has a pro life message, but it was not preachy, which I think is why it was so wonderful. It was not full of condemnation... just love, pure love. I love the whole series of ups and downs and real life tensions and problems that this movie dealt with. He needed redemption, and the woman was also in pain and needed to be loved and given a way out and to be understood. At the core was love, and in the end that's what made it powerful for me.
I agree with your review!!
:-)

Friday, April 17, 2009 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

..... and I tell you:
There are Films produced otherwise but you know where, that is Fabulouse both in storytelling and brilliance regarding technics.

The difference: They do not have a Marketing Budget.

See my point, my dear?

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It sounds like such a beautiful movie and I will attempt to find it and watch it. I really enjoy the normal family with normal dreams and lifestyles and not the Paris Hilton junk.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the suggestion. I loved your review. It definitely has me wanting to watch.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 2:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a film I would want to see.... Thanks for the post, Naomi.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:44:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

One look at his face and I'm sold.

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 7:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVED "Bella". I rented it on iTunes not too long ago, and really enjoyed it. Such a moving picture...very redeeming...
glad you enjoyed it, as well. :)

Kendra

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 5:35:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.