Sunday, April 19, 2009
as promised

These two flowers together really say "Spring" don't they? And Easter, too.....Let's take a closer look......
The Beauty of Ranunculus. The colors in this particular one are so stunning. Do be sure to click on all of these pictures to see them bigger....I know I repeat myself, but, I just can never get over the exquisiteness of the things that nature creates.....The colors and shapes. And all this beauty gives me hope...... Above, a different Ranunculas......I just love how one color fades into another.....it reminds me of my paintings. I bet I have painted 400 paintings of just this kind of 'happening', over the years....One color fading into another....Something about that so pleases my personal sensibilities, and always has........ I painted the above painting in 1990.....I wasn't photographing Ranunculas back then----in fact, I'm not sure I had even had really looked that closely at a Ranunculas, back then.....I was influenced by a flower in my Garden from a strange but beautiful plant called a Hoodia.....The flowers were not really like this painting except in shape, sort of, but it was my abstraction of them....Another painting from that same period is below..... These too, are not really a realistic rendering of my Hoodia flowers. Again, it is my abstraction of them....But you see how much the gradation of color-changes means to me....And it even goes back quite a bit further..... This painting is from 1978. Not flowers, though it certainly could be some kind of flower, but you see the connection here to the gradations of color going from the darker tones on the outside to the lighter tones in the interior......And then even before that, a painting below done in the very early 1970's....'71, I think...... This painting above is a particular favorite of mine....Everything about it truly pleases me.....I LOVE the Blues turning into Browns and Tans.....such a great combination of colors for me...Again, these were not based on flowers, at all, but I can see now, in retrospect, the relationship to flowers......And now, going back to the real flowers...here below is that gradation of color going the other way...... And looking closer below....How beautiful the interior is.....Complex and beautiful in all it's exquisiteness. So much happening on the inside of this beautiful flower.........And the colors just sing.......! They truly do! At least, they are music to my ears......There will definitely be......





More To Come........















28 Comments:
had this to say:

My gosh, Naomi! I love your paintings. Love them. I can't pick a favorite, but I am so impressed with your talent.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 2:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The ranunculas - and your finished painting - are exqusite, Naomi. That gradation of color, how it softly slides in hue, are just stunning ! SPRING perfectly captured :)

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous, Naomi. I hadn't been lurking here long enough to know that you are an artist in paint as well as with a camera! What fun to have receptions in your honor and lots of people appreciating your work.

Are the flowers in the photos from your garden?

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Smita Tewari
had this to say:

A beautiful symphony of colours! Spring can be so rejuvenating! As your 'colours' sujjest. Awesome!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the third photo down is my favorite and it was hard to choose one! I love the folds of the petals

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 7:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These flowers have the most beautiful colors...and shapes! I love your paintings, especially the one where you can see the darker tones around the edge of the flowers and the lightness in the center.

WHY AREN'T YOU STILL PAINTING??

I think you have a fantastic eye for art, which shows in the way you photograph your subjects. I'd love to see more of your other work, too! When you say there are "more to come," I hope you include more of your wonderful paintings!!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 8:08:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow, that painting is marvelous. I'm sure someone compared you to Georgia O'Keefe. Any copies of the catalog left lying about?

Cheers.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 9:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

how on planet earth did you know Ranucles are Anna's fav flowers?

Really a great suprise and wondereful photos

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 12:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow Naomi! I had no idea you painted! What a great job! Beautiful!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 12:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They make me want to pirouette. The next to the last one looks good enough to eat ... at a wedding.

I love the way our attractions can be traced back so early. In a way our attractions are like the gradations of colors, opening slowly, step by step.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 6:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Flowers & paintings are beautiful! Your paintings almost look like they're glowing.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 7:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful....I wish I could do that..

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 7:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very beautiful... all of it. :)

Wasn't it just the loveliest of days today? A little on the warm side, nearing 100 degrees where I live, but a wonderful breeze. :)

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 8:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Wow!!! I'm won over by the painting which you painted Naomi, so pretty and it brightens up my Monday already ;D

PS: Seemah called me on Saturday and she is still up at 3.30 am!!! Gosh, she is full of energy :D

Got the CD out today :D

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 8:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What lovely flowers!

You painted that?! Great talent!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 8:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your paintings. Because I am a graphic artist, what really stands out to me is the font used on your 1978 poster. There were so many typefaces back then that look really dated now and yet the one used on your poster is a classic and makes the poster timeless. Was that your choice?

Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 10:53:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Fabulous, as always, fascinating colors and I love your paintings!!!

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 12:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Great to see some of your paintings. That lovely combo of duck egg blue and tobacco brown used to be the hall mark of a famous British dress firm. Weather all I think it was.

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ditto what Mar said. Your camera really gets the details, Naomi.

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 8:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved seeing your paintings Naomi. I have to agree with Scarlet and hope you will share more of them with us. Now that I've started trying to paint some I look at things so differently! It is an enjoyable thing to do and good therapy I think! At least for me!

The ranunculas is a lovely flower! Great photos as always!! Hope you are Sweetie are doing wonderful!! xxoxx

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I was just thinking those first two photos looked like paintings to me. You really should do a show with all your flower photos. They're just exquisite! Thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oops, had to look up Ranunculus. New to me but lovely enough to want.
Agree with the othere that you should continue painting.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 6:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ooooh gorgeous!!!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 7:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful paintings, flowers and photographs. It's always interesting to see what inspires and artist-- particularly one with a successful art career, something that doesn't just happen

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 1:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just came by again on Wednesday morning to say hello and see how you are doing, Naomi.

Heard the heat had been quite bad, but it was supposed to start cooling down tomorrow hopefully...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 11:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful! I mean of course both your paintings and photos of your flowers. How gorgeous are they? The subtle blending of colour and tone is simply gorgeous.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 2:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again am playing catch-up with your blog posts. The flowers on this and earlier posts are just magnificent -- love the colors as I do in your paintings.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 1:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't recall seeing those paintings of yours on display in your home, so I'm glad you showed them here.
They are beautiful depictions of colors blending into one another. Your perspective is excellent!

I particularly love that third photo you posted where the petals of the flower look like waves flowing.

Friday, April 24, 2009 at 12:21:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.