Sunday, March 29, 2009
ladies who lunch+one

There were two Happy Happenings in these last difficult weeks....One was the "Ladies Who Lunch" Birthday Lunch for Dianne Travis....! As you can see above, the theme was kind of Spring and Easter in colors and in the table decorations....... We had little pastel plastic jelly-bean-shaped-eggs that I had filled with some pastel-for-Easter-Jelly Beans....and some beautiful "Spring" pastel flowers in the center of the table....Gift bags, of course, with lots of little silly things and this Yellow Chenille Bunny Rabbit that is just about the cutest softest thing you've ever seen or held.... The very beautiful pastel flowers, which you have seen some close-ups of in previous posts.....And below, the adorable Bunny person, once again....... Each person got one of these bags and each bag had a Silver Star Wand and a Pastel Colored Pin Wheel that looked so pretty in the breeze..... And above, you can see some of the little Easter Egg Jelly Bean holders and the flowers, too....and just behind the flowers is Dianne's dear husband, Mark....And here is a better picture of them and the Birthday Cake........ Over on the far right is the back of Lee Meriwether's head, and she is covering Annie Guilbert....then, there is The Birthday Girl herself, Dianne and "Will" the magical person who makes all of this happen, and next to him, dear Mark Travis, Dianne's husband, and then Jacquie Scott over on the far left....Out of this picture are Seemah W. and Betty G. and me, of course.....Pictures of them are coming.....But first...... This is that scrumptious Lemon Meringue Cake---Dianne's FAVORITE...and, in truth, every ones favorite! And then she blew out the candles..... And then....after filling ourselves up to the brim with Lemon Cake and some chocolate goodies....(Yes, I cannot NOT have Chocolate at one of these gatherings.....)....We then opened our Gift Bags. The fun-est thing in the bags were these wonderful colorful sun glasses.....! There is our dear Birthday Girl...Happy as a Clam....Not only are these glasses glamorous, but they are also UV perfect, so they are indeed, usable and very wearable! And there we have the very dear Jacquie Scott with her very pretty glasses on and her very pretty Bunny Rabbit sitting on her very pretty shoulder.....And then......The Beautiful Seemah...who is in Bali, as I write this, visiting her son and daughter-in-law and their little baby---her granddaughter. Seemah will be going on to Singapore for a few days, where she will meet our dear Blog Friend, Shionge....Isn't that a sweet thing? And then..... Our dear Betty Garrett, who absolutely adored these glasses....With her Macular Degeneration, she found them just delightfully usable....they protect and stop the glare, and make everything "rosy", which she just loved....And by the way....her 90th Birthday is May 23rd....! Then.... The Beauteous Lee M., who also has a Birthday in May....(There will be a 'ladies who lunch', for them both, for sure....)....Lee, just loved her glasses and her Pin Wheel too, and most particularly, she loved her Bunny Rabbit, who sat on her lap ALL through lunch..... I just thought that was the cutest dearest thing I'd ever seen....here is a closer look at him on Lee's lap.....It just goes to show you, we are never to old to have a sweet little stuffed animal-friend....And then Annie G. decided there should be a little 'romance' between her bunny and Lee's bunny...... Some of us thought that this was just too intimate and too much information for our eyes...So, we changed their positions.....Now this seemed more 'romantic'.....! Annie was not too thrilled with the change in position.....lol! LOL! She does have one of the great 'comic' faces, ever.....though, she is a truly wonderfully serious actress, as well. But as all actors say.....'acting is acting, whether it is comedy or tragedy....'. All I know is, Annie is extremely gifted, and I have been lucky enough to have her be in two plays of mine, and she won an Award for one of them...and deservedly so, I must say.....Dear Mark enjoyed all of it and since he didn't have a pair of those glamorous glasses in his Gift Bag, he just enjoyed all the rest of us in ours! There were of course..."presents"....and Dianne had fun opening them..... Many many lovely gifts came her way....And there was one really funny card which I will share with you.....Lee and Betty and Dianne did a show together called "Nunsense"....They all played Nuns and it is quite a funny show---done all over this country in many incarnations and many productions...So, Lee found this card for Dianne......Dianne absolutely loved it...as did we all....! Here below is a closer look at the cover picture...... And, when you opened up this rather scary but special card.....This is what it said ..... And a Happy Birthday it was.....! Everyone seemed to have an especially good time and I know I certainly did....And though I was tired at the end of the afternoon...(Almost evening)...it was a good tired.





More To Come.......





Note: The other delightful happening was an evening with Jamie Dawn and Family....that was about five days after the birthday lunch, and we had more little pastel jelly bean eggs and some dessert and drinks.....Jamie has written about it and posted a few pictures and a couple of Videos on her blog....So go on over to Jamie's Blog, and Scroll down to "QUICK HITS" and you can see we had a lot of fun "playing" on our glasses......!


Note 2: "THE RAT PATROL" found another four dead ones today....so that is 9 that they have found so far....I know there are more because I can still smell them all these many hours later.....Stay Tuned......This post may be up a little longer than usual....I have at least one more Big Project that needs finishing....bear with me, please.....






















41 Comments:
had this to say:

I know how many of your fellow readers enjoy your 'ladies who lunch' posts - me included. I only hope that in the future I can enjoy myself as much as you lovely ladies (plus Mark) seem to...

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 4:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Rat Patrol I have to see what I missed how awful.

The birthday celebration looks absolutely beautiful and yes you do look like your all having a great time. Celebrating life aw yes I'm going to do that today.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

I just love the sunshine in your blog....

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 5:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful luncheon!

Went over to JD's blog and very interesting "glasses" entertainment.

Hmm, rats, huh. Having lived in a big city that had rats, we found our neighbors were the culprits with trash/garbage. I'd check out your neighbors - if you have 'em, they probably do too.

I hope you are doing better soon

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 7:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Isn't it wonderful to have fun with our lady friends? I just posted about our Moms Night Out...a little different than your ladies who lunch, but not really. :)

It's all about enjoying each other's company and celebrating.

The photos are beautiful. I love the rose-colored glasses (I could use them on some days) and Annie looks like quite a character. I'd probably enjoy her a lot.

The Spring flowers and Easter-theme decorations are gorgeous...and I love that each person received a silver star wand and a colored pin wheel. How fun!!

Looks like Dianne had a wonderful birthday party. Btw, that lemon cake looks delicious...to die for!

Keep enjoying those lady lunches! I always enjoy hearing about them and seeing all the pictures! Thanks for sharing, Naomi!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 11:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You certainly know how to do a luncheon. Out of curiosity, I must inquire about the menu. The last time you mentioned serving Eggs Benedict which caused me to repair to the kitchen to whip up a Hollandaise, which, in turn cause substantial amounts of cursing.

Cheers.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi, sweetie, I haven't been comnmenting too often - but am now feeling better and hopefully back to my old self.

The birthday party looked so fun. I loved the spring look - perfect for me to look at on a gray day!!!!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 1:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You guys always seem to have waaaaaaay too much fun! Ha!

A Lemon Meringue Cake?! Sounds delish!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 3:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, what would you do without your "ladies that lunch"? Happy Birthday to the birthday girl and many wishes for a happy year.....Loved the glasses and the bunnies. It is good to have the companionship of your friends, it helps to keep the spirits up.

Keep the rat patrol in full gear and get rid of those varmits.....lol.

PS: Glad you found your house, it does look like a treasure...Your views are outstanding.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay, you've got those erotic orchids and those penis thingies growing in your front yard... NOW, you've got stuffed bunny sex going on at your dining table!!!
Oh my!! Next, you'll be hosting strip poker!

:-)

Annie's expression is terrific! The glasses are so fun, and those bunnies are very soft. I know this first hand. They are quite huggable.
As for the lemon meringue cake... it is divine!!!!

:-)

More rats???
HIDEOUS!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It sure looks like a fun and festive day! My birthday is in a couple of weeks. :-)
Hope all is well with you. Happy Spring!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 5:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The ladies who lunch sounded like great fun and love the photos. The rat problems not so much. Hope that is cleared up soon.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 8:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I do love your party posts, Naomi. You and your friends have more fun in your little finger than I do in my whole hand!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi, what a wonderful time it looks like you had. Bunny sex and all! It was probably wise to change their position, you know what they say about rabbits in the springtime... *big eyes* Very cute glasses, I must say. :)

It's these fun events and memories of them that keep us going, isn't it? :)

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 9:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

you gave me a smile when i need it most Naomi! I love your ladies who lunch pictures, they always make me smile because somewhere deep inside I can feel the friendship and the happy to be togetherness you all have. Rats or no Rats you needed that!

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 4:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an uplifting post for this sunny morning and great way to start the spring season with all those funny bunnies, jelly beans, and smiling google-eyed faces!

I saw Nunsence in Ronaoke and loved it. Sorry about the rats. Between than and the party and visits I understand how busy you've been. I'm glad your lowered visibility wasn't health related. xo

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 6:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always enjoy the "Ladies Who Lunch" get-togethers. It looks to me like a good time was had by all.

Last fall I had a little party for a young friend (17 years old) and the rest of us were, shall I say a bit older! I used your idea of the gift bags for every one. They really enjoyed the bags and at the end of the evening they took the left over bags of the no shows, and dumped them in the middle of the floor and helped themselves to what was left. What a crazy and goofy good time we all had over those crazy gift bags.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 7:20:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love all the bright, cheery colors! It made me happy just seeing the pictures. Thank you for that. I love that you have such a good, long-standing group of friends and you're still able to get together for celebrations. Consider yourself blessed.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 7:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love reading and enjoying your celebrations! That cake - oh my it looks fab-u-lous!

Hmmm first i've heard about the rat patrol, i'll have to go read. Ugh.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 8:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love reading and seeing your post "ladies who lunch"! Nice photos of a lovely and beautiful birthday celebration!
Please, send to Dianne a big hug from Brazil!

The table is gorgeous and the bunny is so cute! The cake... hummm... looks delicious! I would love to be there with you and your dears friends.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 1:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my! I have to have those glasses! Couldn't you just see me in the front of the classroom with those on!

You all have the most wonderful lunches! I am coming to visit you!

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 1:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That looks like so much fun, Naomi, and all of the ladies look incredibly gorgeous! Impossible to believe that Betty is turning 90--wow!

P.S. Must. Try. That. Cake!

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for posting all the photos, as I scroll down it seems as though I was sitting right there with all your lovely friends.

What a joy and fun indeed and yes, I can't wait to give a big big hug to Seemah.

Luv
Betty (aka Shionge)

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 10:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your special lunches. You should have someone film these special events for an HBO documentary. Ms. Meriwether pops up on my soap from time to time, so this one was especially fun for me.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 11:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely spring colours in your recent posts Naomi....they make me feel hopeful and warm! Its hard to believe spring is here and Easter is around the corner when i look out my window!

Love the sunglasses.

Hope this day brings you closer to dealing with all that is on your plate so you can relax.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 1:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

The ladies must really appreciate the goodies, the bonhomie and the delightful colourful surroundings. Very uplifting and you truly are the hostess with the mostest:)
I know the US and the UK have certain differences but is your right really our left?

Sorry I can't resist teasing you- it's the sort of thing I do all the time:)

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

After some years reading your blog,
I'm not very surprised the way you arrange such wonderful events.
The colors and theme are top class, as your presentation here on your blog as well.
You really do know how to make people feel and act well.

The text on the BD-card is so sweet.

To see all these wonderful ladies with the glamoure sun-glasses - haha - well, fabulous.

And not to forget:
"Seemah will be going on to Singapore for a few days, where she will meet our dear Blog Friend, Shionge....Isn't that a sweet thing?"
I certainly agree. Wish it was me.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 5:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful birthday party! i am sure that cake was absolutely yummy, it looks wonderful. And your ladies all look so glamorous in their fancy sunglasses!
It's so much fun to get together with a gaggle of lady friends.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 7:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful memories.. I have never been to a b-day party like this one. thanks for sharing though..

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 12:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely picture sequence and the shades are too cool for cats.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 1:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

a wonderful gathering of truly beautiful women!

love the decor!!
you have such style

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 3:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fun group! I loved all the decorating, but my favorite thing is how you're all able to sit around a big round table. I love round tables.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Rabbit Rabbit!

I've never called a blog beautiful before, but your blog is BEAUTIFUL.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I don't go to this kind of trouble. I throw martinis & jack & cokes at everyone and then serve different cheeses & water crackers.
They'd like your parties better.

I LOVE THE NUN SHOT. And I must admit a certain fondness for the yellow bunnies as well. ~Mary

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 9:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I sure do like seeing and hearing about your gatherings! I went and watched the musical glass videos - I never would have thought they'd make such a nice sound!

Rat patrol?! Is Sweetie not earning his keep? ;)

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 10:34:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

What lovely decorations and what a wonderful cake... I could almost taste it... probably put on five pounds just thinking about it! Happy Birthday to your dear friend.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Bless you heart, you have so much going on! Dead rats are no fun at all...Sweetie should help you out there unless he is like some of my spoiled ones.

I love the party posts. You make things so festive, beautiful and fun for your guests. I try to remember your ideas and little gifts when I am doing my own parties! What is it they say? Copying is the best form of flattery???

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh how fun Naomi! I enjoyed seeing everyone in their glasses. I love your ladies who lunch posts! I had already seen the videos that JD did of your musical glasses! I thought you all did very well!
Wish I could be there for the May party and celebrate along with you. My BD is the 21st. Time sure marches on doesn't it? Now you have me wanting to make a lemon meringue cake!! Yum!

Rats? Ick!!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 8:36:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

You ladies who lunch are fantastic!! always enjoy seeing these pictures, table decorations, delicious food and all the fun things you do together.
Love those shades and dirty bunnies, lol.
Will be meeting Bob-Kat later on today, isn't this fun too??
Hugs

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 11:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So so late commenting on this but wanted to wish Diane a LATE happy birthday , her and Mark were a lovely couple and it was a delight to have met them both in person !!!
What a fun party and the cake looks divine. I have a penchant for lemon meringue as well yum.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 5:02:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another great lunch and I loved reading about it. Your table looked fantastic!
I actually read this last week while Brian was here and he read it and looked at it with me....he was SOOO impressed with you, your life, your friends, etc. He remembered Betty and Lee from TV and he said, "when you go to LA next year for book signings, can I come too? I want to meet Naomi with you." LOL I told him I'd think about it...lol
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

Blogger ed
had this to say:

Dianne Travis was AWESOME as Val Avery's "wife" in the Columbo episode A Friend in Deed. I'm sure I've seen her in the other episodes in Columbo and elsewhere.

Monday, January 13, 2014 at 6:47:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.