Sunday, November 23, 2008
ducks, etc.

Some more pictures of the Ducks in the Pond at Hollywood Forever.....The light was so wonderful at the time of day we were there.....It made for some very interesting designs as the ducks glided slowly and easily through the shallow water......Over on n the right in the picture above is this wonderful curly cur movement creating something very similar to some of the designs of my paintings...... This picture above is an un-cropped look at the whole.....I tell you, the ripple effect on both sides of the Duck just knocks me out.....And it truly does look like something I might have painted....Do be sure to click on all these pictures to see them on a larger scale...... Here above is a closer look at that left side of the water with that wonderful free form rippling effect....Stunning! And that Duck is pretty stunning, too.....! I just think all these Ducks are absolutely beautiful! The colors of the male....Stunning! Watching these sweet birds gliding about was such a peaceful lovely thing to do on a quiet Monday.....When you are there in the Cemetery, you don't have any sense of the outside world. The main street outside of Hollywood Forever is Santa Monica Blvd., and it is heavily traveled....but you hear no street noise whatsoever.....and most of the sounds one hears are the sounds of the quacking of the ducks and the honking of the geese....It is really a little oasis of sorts in the middle of a very busy area.... I don't know what time of day this picture was taken....I've never seen Santa Monica Blvd soooo empty....lol...This is a photo I found on the net.....And it actually looks peaceful out there, too! Believe me, it's not! On the other side----the back side, behind The Fairbanks Monument and the big Public Mausoleum....is one of the "studios".....You can see some buildings and the top of the back of some false buildings....yet, it is very very quiet right in this cocoon of a Cemetery...... And right in the middle of the pond....a Beautiful Swan.....talk about peaceful. A closer look, above......There used to be Egrets here, too.....And I think there still are, but they may have been on the other side of that small Mausoleum in the center of the pond there......Meanwhile....... A slice of life on the pond! I am not sure how many Mallard Ducks there are in the pond....but it is a goodly amount....Male and Female.....Much activity, and especially because of the lady who had brought goodies for all the birds.....When I go back, I think I will being some dried bread and/or some bird seed....That will be lots of fun! And here above, a very handsome fella....elegant and self assured in a very gentlemanly way...... And this young lady looks quite coy to me....Sliding along---her head, very close to the water---making for a marvelous reflection....I think she is his wife, maybe...... Or, maybe this very cheeky guy is her hubby....! They are all so gorgeous...! The colors are amazing....The shape, too....And those little black curls in the back---Aren't they adorable? The shadow reflections on the water that day were so so soooo pretty.....! There are more....but I will leave you with just one more picture....Not another Duck. No. I will leave you with this very fantastic Princess of Elegance and Peacefulness.......



More To Come.........












27 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The serenity of these photos is wonderful. The way you describe makes one feel like they are there. The cemeteries here are pretty because of rolling green landscapes but nothing like Hollywood Forever. What a pretty place! Beautiful photos.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 1:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Greetings from the other side of the continent, Naomi! I am in Virginia Beach, awaiting sunrise, so I can photograph it. I may be meeting someone later (SRP), and I am looking forward to that!!

I love your photos, of course. The water reflections are so beautiful.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 2:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Not only are the ducks pretty the water photographed well. I love looking at water as it ripples.....Beautiful swan.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 5:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Despite that it's a cemetery, it seems like a peaceful serene place.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:12:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just beautiful - I especially like the last picture of the swan, such magnificent creatures.

I have driven by Hollywood Forever several times but never taken the time to go in and enjoy the serenity. I need to do that one of these days. (I live in Orange County; my daughter lives in Hollywood.)

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 10:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful photographs. I love reflection and those are most excellent, as you said, almost unreal. If I am ever in LA again, I will have to see that cemetery. It looks like a 'don't miss' kind. The very opposite, with its fineness, of many I have seen and photographed.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 11:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

As I look out my window at 5" of snow, it is wonderful to see your pictures of sunshine, green grass, the swan and ducks.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 1:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You've absolutely convinced me to visit this place.
It is a must see for me!
I scrolled down to your previous post, and I had already read the first post of this beautiful series.
That first photo of the duck in the swirling water does indeed look like a painting, especially the water part.
I also like how they use the infinity symbol on the Forever Hollywood sign.

I will try to stop by before Thanksgiving, but just in case I don't, I will say Happy Thanksgiving now.
You always celebrate the things around you.
You practice thanks and gratefulness by delighting in nature and all good things that surround you.
I wish you daily doses of joy!
I am thankful to know you.
:-)

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 2:06:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love swans and I usually call them jumbo planes for the way they fly and land on water. They are a bit aggressive though especially when they want the food from ducks. I would poor duckies. Anyway, another lovely set of photos!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 6:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You are right Naomi, the water and reflections are just like paintings. Magnificent.

Do they do a lot of filming for movies in this cemetery? It is a gorgeous part of LA by the looks of it.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

the light is fantastic, the green on the duck is amazing and that swan is incredible

very large swan!!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 10:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Some of my fondest memories of my mother were those of feeding/watching ducks. (And exploring cemetaries, both together would have been Nirvana.)

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 1:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The male duck is stunning. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd say he was a Hollywood legend. ;)

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, Naomi. The movement on the water shot was one of my favorites. I would love to see the painting you were referring to in this one.

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 5:59:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Such spectacular photos! I just love the ripple effect and also the reflection of the duck's head in the water. You did a superb job with your camera.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 7:16:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi - I have been told my comment is duplicated but don't know if you have received it?

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 7:25:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Lovely photos, as always. You're becoming quite the wild-life photographer.

Cheers.

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 7:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Gorgeous photos, Naomi! The emerald color of the duck's head is fantastic. Love also the reflection on the water.

Have a nice week ahead!

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 10:28:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi: as you say the definition of the patterns on the water is truly amazing and makes me wish I could paint or draw.
A swan is meant to mate for life. I wonder if that applies to ducks also. I suspect not:)

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 10:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

How nice that there is some serenity amidst the hustle and bustle that is Hollywood!

That swan reminds me of the swan boats (which I love) on Boston Common!

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 11:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those top pictures of the ducks with the ripples in the water are particularly special. You have a great eye for the best angles!

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 11:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely photos! Swans are one of my favorites, but those ducks are also charming!

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 9:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Nature is fascinating. I never get tired of your pictures - each one tells a story, Naomi...

I could see a children's book author using these for illustrations for a story...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 5:47:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

The ducks are lovely and it seems they are swimming in oil! beautiful shots as always.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 5:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The water in those shots really is like a painting. And the swan- those are the loveliest creatures. I would enjoy one on our pond!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 6:10:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was hoping for a swan and glad you got one of it upright. I remember how hard it was to get a shot of one at the Boston Swan Boats with my mother this summer because they were mostly buried preening.

I found myself drawn by the patterns the water makes in these shots and remembering the "DA" guy's hairdo (Ducks ass). Have you notice that guys are now wearing their hair coiffed up in the front the way mothers combed their baby sons hair for pictures? I always think to myself when I see it...if they only knew the look like baby cupie dolls to us.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 6:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

They are so pretty Naomi! As I read and looked at your pictures I felt like I was there in all that tranquility and peace!!

Hugs to you!!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 3:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Absolutely stunning photos. I tried to do a literal painting of a Mallard duck. It was quite a challenge and I don't think I finished it.

Thanks for sharing. This cemetary looks like an oasis in the city and a neat place to visit. No one talks back to you either.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 at 1:41:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.