Friday, July 25, 2008
the stalk

So here, above, is the top part of the Dasylirium Stalk, early on. Actually, this picture was taken July 10th, 8 days before the pictures from my previous post...(Oh, do give all these a bit of a click to make them bigger)...... What do I mean by "Early on"?.....Well what I mean is....When the----What shall I call them---Flower Fingers----Were still not completely open. Now, doesn't this look like something from another planet? If you recall, seeing the whole stalk, one would not really know that the little blossoms are on these finger like protrusions..... Seen from afar....you cannot even tell that these are finger like thingys.....It is odd, too. When I first looked at these 'close-up', I thought...'How weird!'....But as I have studied them with my camera and looked at them in more detail, I now think they are very beautiful and so unique, too!As you can see in the picture above, there are a few Bees....this picture shows the slightly more open flowers, and it was lower down on the Stalk. The flowers seem to open sooner down below and because the Stalk is still growing, the top part is still developing. For those who are concerned that I might get too close to the Bees...I am really not close at all, plus.....The very very strong intention of the Bees keeps them concentrated on the lovely task at hand as opposed to moi..... And then in the picture below, we see the Wings on one of the Bees.... And below, another shot of the top of the Stalk, itself, still on July 10th, the same date as all the other pictures above....... So, then.....Eight days later, on July 18th----when everything was at the height of being open----Here are some more pictures below from that day..... You can see the difference in the look of those finger like protrusions.....And to me, the most amazing part is that the Bees know that everything is at it's most open...it's ripest, so to speak.... How do they know this? And do they tell other Bees? "Hey, Soups On over there at Naomi's"? To me the whole process is a miracle of nature. I wonder, where all the Bees were before these blossoms opened wide......and then, where did they go when these flowers were no more? Look at how they burrow in....getting as much of the pollen as possible----sometimes, all over them.... Look at the wings in the picture above....click on it to really get the full impact....And then, here below, 'in flight'...... I love catching the Bees on their way to work, and then as they are 'working'....I must say they look like they absolutely adore they're work.....don't they? Like loosing themselves in all the pollen...... And make no mistake. We need the Bees to balance our environment in so very many ways, but mainly we need them ecologically. Some Beekeepers say, without the Bees we would have no fruits or vegetables. I pray that they will continue to come around to my garden.....and that they remain alive and well, because without the Bees, well.....I don't even want to contemplate where we would be without them......Below, two pictures of how the Stalk looked on July 23rd.The blooms are basically---over. And there are no more Bees here because there is nothing to get from these little finger-like things anymore......I love that my garden continues to be a source of "new" and incredibly interesting experiences for me and that I can, in turn, share these things with you.....This one is, I think, the most 'other worldly' happening I've seen in the more than twenty two years I've had my Cactus and Succulent Garden. Though there certainly have been other 'firsts' in the 'other worldly' department...lol!




More To Come........















33 Comments:
had this to say:

The pictures are amazing. On 1 I couldn't even see the bees until I enlarged it. My favorite pictures, however, are the 2 with bees in flight. I cannot figure out how you get those pictures (like the hummingbirds in flight) and you aren't even a professional!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 1:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Bud
had this to say:

Naomi, You find beauty every time you point that camera. I was married to a lady who always took time to "smell the roses". You bring back wonderful memories. Thank you.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 1:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Re above I think professionals are born - not made and Naomi is certainly a professional, in so many ways.
Back to the bees; we had a TV programme the other day listing the function of bees to mankind and how without them, life as we know it wouldn't exist and we would probably all starve.
So it is a great comfort to know that bees are alive and well and having a ball in Naomi's garden.xox

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 2:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am most happy that you have such a great camera that you need not be close to the bee's. (just in case).. you take the most fabulous photo's Naomi!

you wanted to know, so...here's the link to my post on Buddy Ebsen's book:
http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2008/07/other-side-of-oz.html

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an amazing flower stalk! It looks just like candy floss. Nature never ceases to amaze in it's infinite different types of flower. I love that such an unassuming looking plant can sprout forth such an amazing stalk covered in tiny blooms. Your photos as ever, are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them as I have never seen this type of bloom before.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:56:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These plants remind me of various corals I've seen while snorkeling and diving.

Thanks for the botany lesson!

Cheers.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 6:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree, the beautiful flower could very well be one of the corals in our reefs. It would be classified as a SPS (small polyp stoney. I find this absolutely wonderful. Isn't nature wonderful?

I love the pictures of your succulents. Thanks for sharing them.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are wonderful photos!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 11:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just popped back to say I have something for you over at my blog :) I know you're feelings about blog awards but I wanted to include you as of all the bloggers I have met you qualify the most and I wanted to pay you the compliment :)

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 12:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've never seen anything like that, how extraordinary. (I think the bees don't live long...)

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 1:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing before and after shots, Naomi! What a treat. I have never seen anything like "the stalk" (and it does look like you got too close to those bees!).

These are definitely more beautiful when you click to enlarge. Thanks for sharing!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are freaky! Ha!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've been traveling round your blog a bit. Wonderful photos of flowers and beautiful homes and amazing women.

I loved the photo of you as a child on the little balcony. And the photos from the lunch and birthday, what gorgeous, accomplished women.

thanks for coming by my blog, I'm so glad you did.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 7:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! I meant "freaky" in a cool way! You know how much Gord and I love cacti and succulents. I'm envious that you are able to have such cool plants in your garden ... they'd never last here in Toronto.

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 10:23:00 PM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

plain and simply: BEAUTIFUL. in more ways than one.
thank you!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 11:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These are so great... and that's about as close as I'll get to a bee!! I'm glad to know you were using a zoom. Bees freak me out.

Not because I'm allergic, but because I worked for an allergist back in the 70s and helped him do research on people who died from beestings and the stories were horrible!! I've never been stung, so I'm convinced that if I am, I'm going to blow up like a balloon or have a heart attack. Crazy, I know!

Glad to reconnect with you. I've been a bad blogger this summer...

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 4:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They do look out of this world! :) Great photos!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 9:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Stunning photos (as usual). I love Dasylirium. And glad to see so many happy, busy bees too!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 11:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your macros reminds me of Starfish. But Starfish with bees around? That's another Planet - Right?

Wonderful captures.
Have a brilliant Sunday

btw. We have a very pleasant time here with Renny and Diane. Excellent companionship, food, sightseeings, swimming and Sunshine (86 F)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 3:20:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You have become an amazingly good macro photographer Naomi. Looking at these pics, the flowers seams to stand right in front of me - thanks for sharing with an interesting story too. I love to dig into your garden you know :-)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 5:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The blooms on those 'fingers' are simply beautiful aren't they? No wonder the bees are attracted to them - all that colour and pollen... Before they bloom it really looks like coral.

Thanks for sharing Naomi.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 4:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. You must feel wonderful capturing those pictures of busy buzzing bees around the unusual fragrant and sweet blooms. This is the first time I see this variety of cactus plant...Do have a good week ahead.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 8:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The bees ar so important to us, Naomi. We need them and the changes in the environment with global warming and all the pollution aren't hospitable to them.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 8:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

More great pics from your camera, Naomi!
If I didn't look at the bees, I could imagine that this flower could be an underwater piece of coral, or the waving arms of a sea anenome of some kind... interesting thought, that something that lives above the water can so closely resemble something that lives below the water.
PS I posted pics of Callum today... yes... I know... all new Nana's do that, and it does get tedious looking at other people's children, but he's such a sweetie I just had to tell you!!!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These finger like stalks on the cactus plant that produce such beautiful flowers just once each year remind of the story of the Thorn Bird. There was an interesting story here this week on the news about a home owner who discovered his trees harbored thousands of bees and since he had no desire to keep them, he offered them to any bee keeper who wanted them. We need the bees for our survival so it's comforting to know they have found a new home.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is so good to see you have bees. Newsweek just recently had another article on US bees being critically changing. They are disappearing. So I am happy to see some living safely in your wonderful garden! We have a few hear this year in the clover. I've been trying extra hard not to step on one. Not just for the sting but to not kill it. They say ice cream production is really hurting. You forget how important the little things are. Now wasps and hornets. Those I don't like at all.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 7:21:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

You have the most interesting variety of plants and animals in your backyard of anyone I know. You're so fortunate.

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 2:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i tell ya - i have never seen such unique pictures of plants, taken in ones own backyard, like you post!

it's always an adventure to visit your blog! you never fail to surprise & delight! :o)

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The patience of you capturing all these shots from beginning to the end that's wonderful :D

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 5:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Really like how you show the developing sequence of these flowers -- really fascinating. Yes, we better hope the bees continue to exist.

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 9:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i'm lovin the bees!

Monday, July 28, 2008 at 10:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, loved those pictures! All them are so amazing! Your garden is trully gorgeous!

Thanks for your visiting and nice comment about my antique pieces. Sure, they all bring me nice memories!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 3:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again, some amazing pictures! One thing that continues to surprise me is the scale of some of the plants and flowers you have. If we had something like this in the UK it might be somehow less than a half of the size. I was genuinely surprised when I saw the scale of the bees!

Best, rashbre

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 2:02:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.