Tuesday, July 29, 2008
hanna

This picture above is one of my dear friend Hanna's 'professional' pictures.....I like it because it kind of spans the years, in a way. Hanna really looked like this picture for many many years.....And when those of us who knew her well look at this picture it brings back lots and lots of memories....This Friday, that first picture at the top of this post and the text which is below, will appear in a Full Page Ad in The Hollywood Reporter---one of the two 'trade' papers, here in Los Angeles. The reason for this Ad? Well, to tell the Show Business community here in this country and throughout the world, that Hanna died. It is not an uncommon thing to do here in Hollywood, especially if you want to honor someone who might not have received a very complete obituary in the papers. Many people still do not know that Hanna is gone.The two pictures next to each other up above are from "Being There" with Peter Sellers and Richard Basehart and the one right above is from "Magnum P.I.", with Tom Selleck....She loved Tom Selleck and truly enjoyed doing this show......

And here below, is the 'copy' that will accompany that first picture up above.


Hanna Hertelendy
AS WE REMEMBER HER
October 5th, 1919 - May 15th, 2008
A Charming Talented Delightful Adorable Spirit!
Hanna was Born in Budapest, Hungary in 1919….She achieved Stardom in the famous Hungarian Repertory Theatre “VIGSZINHAZ” in Budapest, playing such varied leading roles as Ophelia in HAMLET, Puck in MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM, Irena in THE THREE SISTERS and ELIZA in PYGMALION, to name just a few. Coming to the United States in the late 1940's early 1950’s, she became the ‘lady’ announcer for “The Voice Of America” and for “Radio Free Europe”…..Hanna married fellow Hungarian-American actor, Stephan Bekassy and came to Los Angeles and worked in Films, Television and The Theatre under her Americanized name, Hanna Landy….and then later, in the early 1970’s, she once again returned to her Hungarian name, Hanna Hertelendy. She adored acting and was proud to have been part of such films as, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S, ROSEMARY’S BABY, BEING THERE, HARLOW, THE GREAT RACE, TWO-MINUTE WARNING, etc. Hanna played many many roles in Series Television, Films for TV and Mini Series, too. A few of her favorites were The Fugitive, Raid on Entebbe, Magnum P.I., Remington Steel, The Dorothy Stratton Story, Family Ties, and St. Elsewhere.
She was a Founding Member of Theatre West—one of the oldest ‘membership’ theatre’s in Los Angeles---and a long time member of The Actor’s Studio. For four decades, Hanna was devoted to The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences---She considered The Academy her second home and participated in many aspects of all the Academy does..

Hanna was a good and dear friend to many people…..Everyone who knew her absolutely adored her---a unique ‘original’---She was filled with the joy of life, and had the amazing ability to light up any room she entered. She was truly an unforgettable presence.
Hannushka….We all miss you terribly and we will remember you, always, dear ‘Didika’.

Here she is with Lloyd Bridges...."Sea Hunt".....She was so young there.
And below.....with Red Buttons in "Harlow" She played his wife and he played Jean Harlow's agent.
And below, Hanna with Carol Baker, who played Jean the leading role in "Harlow"-----Harlow, herself. This was at some fancy party....Hanna loved dressing up...and especially in 'glitter'. Check out those earrings and all the braclets....This was actually a rather subdued outfit. Clothing was her passion...... In fact, it may have been for the Premiere of "Harlow". I don't know who the gentleman in the picture is, though he looks terribly familiar....(It is not Carol Baker's then husband, Jack Garfein). And below....a 'still', taken during a rehearsal for "Rosemary's Baby"...In this photo that is Mia Farrow over on the left, Roman Polanski---The Director, another man who is not identified but one could guess he is The Dialogue Director, and then, Hanna.Hanna worked a lot during the years she was active....and then, when it was no longer fun and the rewards didn't outweigh the stress, she retired. Her whole life had been devoted to the 'art' of acting.....from the time she was just on the brink of her 20's, until her late 70's---early'80's. But she continued to stay involved with The Academy.....She always participated in The Foreign Film Committee and The Documentary Committee, as well as the special committee that the Academy formed to support young up-coming filmmakers. She was, in a word, "dedicated".

If you ever see any of the films or TV shows she was involved with you will see that same dedication....and just getting to know her a little bit through this blog, seeing her in these varied parts that she did, well.....it may give you an extra source of enjoyment, if you do happen to catch any of her work......
Enjoying each others company at Scandia, one of the Great restaurants of Los Angeles...long gone, I'm sorry to say....that is me, and Hanna, and her dear friend and fellow Hungarian, Rojica....Another Birthday Lunch, 'back in the day'..... And here, above, with the incredibly talented Scott Marlowe...gone now, too....At a Birthday Party at my house....Hard to believe they are both gone, as is her friend Rojica.....And this picture above: It was Hanna's 65th Birthday Party at Norma Connolly and Howard Rodman's house in Hancock Park....That is Kathleen Nolan, Me....and The Birthday Girl herself....'Collecting Another Memory', as she used to say.....
Fun loving and a collector of 'memorable' happenings....this picture above, again, in happier days.....Another Birthday Celebration......And there you have a little smattering of Hanna Hertelendy.....Another time I will share with you some of the wonderfully funny things she was famous for saying. Oh, how I wish you could hear the Hungarian accent.....







More To Come.......




Note: I'm sorry for not visiting very much lately....I am just a bit overwhelmed with life these days....I will try to do better.....Thanks for your understanding....

UPDATE: 10:20pm

The Earthquake did no damage here....some stuff looked like it was almost going to fall, but it didn't! This was scary...and no matter how many times you go through these things---You never get used to it! This was a "rolling" one...and I do not like those, at all....they go on and on and on....and this one picked up the 'scary's' the longer it went on...and then....It was over! I dearly appreciate everyone's concern....I've got some other problems, but not from the Quake, Thank God!







45 Comments:
had this to say:

I am sad to say, I do not know of this wonderful actress, although I have seen some of the films etc you mentioned: 'Harlow', 'Rosemarys Baby' etc, so perhaps I have seen her!

She seems such a delight and such a vivid personality, someone who is well-loved and respected and has achieved so much.

You are lucky indeed to have counted such an inspiring lady as your friend, although I am sure you know that. I am sorry for your loss, but thankful that you have shared a glimpse of Hanna's story with us. Thank you!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A lovely tribute, dear. I'm sure she's smiling at you.

Cheers.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She was a beautiful and talented woman, Naomi, and I am sure you will miss her.

Hope you are okay.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A lovely post!!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 8:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A beautiful tribute Naomi... I think you should have written the tribute for the Hollywood Reporter.

I'm sorry you've lost yet another friend... big hugs to you Naomi

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:58:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A wonderful tribute to Hanna, Naomi. I'm sure she would have loved it. You are so fortunate to have had such a good friend.

I've emailed you separately. Take care of yourself, Anne

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 12:02:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi. I just saw news about the quake and I'm just checking in to see if you're alright -- not that I can do much about it here, except be concerned. I suppose it's the thought that counts.

Cheers.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 12:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an incredibly beautiful, talented and spirited woman! I can see how it would take more than one post to capture her essence. Wow!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You write the most beautiful obituatries, Naomi - as well as wonderful tributes to those who are alive !!!

HOW ARE YOU DOING AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE ?

Is yuor house okay ? the hillside ? The cats ? You ?

It was quite the noisy rumbler down here. I hope that the aftershocks are small.
5.8 is better than something bigger though...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm impressed. You really do impress me when writing posts like this. It's excellent history.

btw. Crossing the "Pond" Thursday.
Chicago - SW Michigan and St Paul area this time.

hugs
Tor

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 3:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely tribute. How sad that newspapers must charge to properly commemorate a life.
Thought of you today. The earthquake's epicenter was not far from my backyard. Not only did it shake pictures off the walls- it shook dead leaves from trees in the wild area behind us. On a hill acroos my valley it is now clearly visible where a hawk was perches. A bit of grace from the awfulness of the shaking

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sending you a great big Canadian hug Naomi......and a smile too.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos of your beautiful friend. I know the memories don't fill the heart void you're feeling..... sometimes we are knocked backwards by our losses aren't we?

thinking of you......

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Hanna was such a lovely woman. I know you miss her terribly. I wish I could hear her accent too! Lovely tribute to her and I'm looking forward to reading more about her!

I hope you had no damage from the quake. I heard about it on TV and immediately thought of you. Hope all is well. Hugs to you and Sweetie!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, what a wonderful tribute to her. Thanks for sharing that with us. I love the picture of her with Tom Selleck...oh he is too good looking!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 6:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Here you are apologizing for not visiting as much as usual, and I am feeling the same way. I've not had much time to spare, so blogging has taken a back seat lately. I've missed it, but that's the way life goes sometimes.
I look forward to seeing you next week!! We shall create some memories of our own, and we can share them with our blog buddies. I know many blog buddies will be jealous that I've gotten to meet you TWICE!! Oh well, too bad for them!
:-)
Your tribute to Hanna is wonderful. What a pretty lady she was all throughout her life. Her smile is infectious. I wish I could have known her too!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 6:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful woman, and a beautiful tribute.

I came by to check on you and to see if you are alright after the earthquake. Hope all is well my friend! Sending you hugs!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 8:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I am concerned about you. I know that Shephard and Fran are okay, but we haven't heard from you. Please let us know that you were not harmed in the quake.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 8:52:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

She was a beautiful and talented woman. This was a wonderful tribute to your friend! (I love to hear accents!)
Glad to know you are fine, Naomi. I grew up with earthquakes but I can never get used to them...they are scary, all of them, even the light trembles...!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great contribution Naomi, your for sure a great friend and how nicely you have shown us Hanna.

We had the show "Magnum P.I." in Norway some years ago and I do think I recognise!

Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories!

Btw: I'm sooo glad you was not damage The Earthquake. We heard the bad news yesterday and was thinking of you - thanks for keeping us posted.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 2:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That was a wonderful and touching tribute adn what a wonderful woman she was for you to have so many wonderful qualities and achievements to pay tribute to. She sounded liek she was a true original who enriched everything she came into contact with. I know you miss her terribly {{hugs}}

I am also glad to hear that you are okay after the quake. I hope that the other difficulties in your life pass very soon {{{more hugs}}}. I am doubly touched that you took the time to ask how I was - I am now much better though still quite poorly. It was a very nasty bug!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 4:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice tribute to Hannah!

Glad to hear the earthquake didn't hurt you.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful tribute to your friend, Hannah. Sounds like she had an amazing life and who can ask for more when it was accompanied by such strong friendships.

Glad the quake didn't do any damage. They can be stomach upsetting.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good to hear you escape damage with the earthquake. I hope you are feeling better healthwise. You need to take care of your health!!!...we love you and want you around for a while.

Love,
Anne

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

By the way, what's that on top of Peter Sellers' head? Something white. Hmmm. Looks like an ice bag!

And the man you couldn't identify at the Harlow Premiere reminds me of Vic Damone as a young man, although I do not seen a connection with the movie "Harlow". Anyone else figure out who he is?

Anne

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 12:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad the quake didn't cause any damage. It's funny you mention the rolling quakes - I called a friend as soon as I heard and the first thing she said was "oh it's a rolling quake, they're all noise" -

I really enjoyed your wonderful post about your friend. She was beautiful and led such an interesting life. The photos were a joy to see. Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 1:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad that you are relatively ok. I'm sorry that you are not feeling well.

Thanks for sharing the info on Hanna. What a life! What talent!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 2:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have missed you...I hope you are feeling. I'm also glad that you survived the earthquake, so scary....

Yes, I have seen Hanna in several of those movies and TV series. She was a real delight and such a lovely lady. You were lucky to have her in your life. I know that you will miss her. Love ya.

Are you going to see Jamie Dawn when she comes to California?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was just checking in to see if everything was fine after the earthquake !! So glad to see the update and hear you are all ok.
Scary stuff indeed.

what a lovely tribute to Hanna, you have been very blessed with so many good friends in your life :)

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 9:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a loving tribute. It's a shame that IMDB has her as two different people. Maybe you could write them and tell them it is the same person? And I've said this so many times, but you always have the BEST photographs!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 1:29:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

next time there is a rolling quake, picture Mother Earth having an upset stomach from all the stuff we bury in landfills! LOL, and you won't be scared.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 2:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I'm glad you are OK and I'm glad I didn't know about the quake. I've had my head down trying to really get my book in shape to send it off and it's difficult to concentrate elsewhere.
That was lovely meeting your friend Hanna and you have really done her proud. I'm sure she was great fun to know. And I'm sure she must have appreciated you as a great friend.
BTW we have to learn to take it easy and not feel guilty about not blogging. Much better to rest and do it when you feel like it.
xoxox

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 8:18:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Dropping by again to let you know I posted new pics of my yucca. The last ones my camera took, now it is off to be repaired and I will be back using the loyal old HP one.
Have a lovely day, Naomi :)

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is good you have so much info to set the record straight on your old friends!

Sorry you are not well, have wondered... but glad the quake did not affect you too much.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 12:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I do not know anyone that are able to write about friends and collegues that have passed away nearly as good as you. You never stops impressing.
You know, I'm a bit too young to really have the knowledge of all of Hanna's performances. However: She was a beauty.

But did you know: She was born excactly one week before my mother.

btw. I'm now in the Windy City, heading for Michigan tomorrow.
And - fasten your seat belts: It might be some blogger meetings as well + +.

PS. Had to comment on the last one, right? Take it as an update

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 8:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was a lovely tribute to your friend. My word, she was a tiny little thing, wasn't she? Totally dwarfed by Tom Selleck!

That earthquake, oh my! Glad you made it through. And, dear one, what IS going on with you. I wish I could just give you a big hug... take it a bit at a time. You will get through this. (((HUGS)))

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 10:47:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I cannot believe blogger dared to block your blog!!!!! it is getting ridiculous, they'd better solve the issue quickly...is there anything your readers could do???
((hugs))

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 1:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for this tribute to an actress I'd admittedly never heard of before today. Rosemary's Baby will be playing at the Film Forum later this month, and I will make sure to pay close attention to Hanna's small but significant role.

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 5:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such a beautiful tribute to your friend :-)

I'm sorry about the earthquakes... here in MA we don't get them hardly ever. When I lived in Japan, tho...we got them frequently. Scary!

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 9:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How lucky she was to have you, our dear Naomi, as her close friend. I'm so sorry to hear and read of your loss and I would have loved to hear her Hungarian accent!!

Thinking of you.

Friday, August 1, 2008 at 3:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an exciting life she had and to work at what she loved for so long.

Glad to hear you made it through the quake!

Saturday, August 2, 2008 at 11:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I thought of you when I saw the earthquake news when we were in NY and I wished I could've emailed you then. I am glad you are okay. This was a beautiful, sweet tribute to Hanna. She was such a lovely lady and I think I recognize her from the Magnum photo. I watched that show regularly and Martin and I will watch the reruns on occasion.

She led such a fascinating life and I am glad her photo and ad will appear so that everyone can know her and know she is gone.

I hope you've been okay. I am just getting back to normal and back to my routine myself. My blog was locked up for days too and the Typepad people sent me a note that I had to take my Sitestar tracking widget off, that it was locking up the blogs. Always something.

Your succulents above were stunning. Great macro work, as you always do!

Monday, August 4, 2008 at 8:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Nice of you to share your thoughts, memories and photos of her. She would likely be very pleased with what you've shared here.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 10:10:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I know how very special Hanna was to you, Naomi, and I'm sure her loss is very deep in your heart.
She was so stunning, wasn't she? And I do recognize her from various movies and TV. I know she was as stunning inside as her beauty outside.
What always gets me about the photos you share with us of the "show business" people is the absolute genuine happiness on everyone's face. I think it's a perfect example that a picture truly says a thousand words.
(Yes.....I'm emerging from my cocoon here! I feel I now have a grip on this writing contest....wahoooo!)
Hugs to you....
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Kevin Raftery
had this to say:

Dear Naomi, Came across your blog looking up Scott Marlowe...I clicked on the picture of Mr Marlowe and Hanna and it took me here.
I have always loved the actress that played Grace Cardiff in "Rosemary's Baby", but I never knew anything about her. It was nice to learn that she was a dear friend and such a lovely woman. The small role she had in the film always stands out for me and it added a touch of class.
I looked further down and saw the pictures with actresses like Ann Guilbert and Joyce Van Patten. God, I love these women...they have given such marvelous performances in everything I've seen them in. Truly, these women have meant so much to me growing up in the 1970's.
Here's to all of you wonderful ladies who have made my life that much better. Thank You, Kevin Raftery

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 1:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

In your wonderful tribute to Hanna, I see that you had known Scott Marlowe. I had been quite close to Scott first in the early 1960's, when he lived in a bachelor cabin in Laurel Canyon. I had just come over from Phoenix and was going to school at UCLA. Scott and I met in the Red Raven on Melrose - we became instant friends. We continued our friendship long distance after I moved to New York. Scott was a terrific sensitive person who I so admired. Recently I saw "A Cold Wind in August" and it all came back, his very specialness shined through. RIP Scotty. John D (New York)

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 1:59:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.