Wednesday, March 26, 2008
hollywood roosevelt celebration

Let me digress for a minute here.....I found some more pictures from two very special happenings here at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, that I mentioned in one of my previous posts. One, was a special Birthday Dinner (my 55th Birthday, in 1986...)....I showed one picture, which was rather obscure. of a lot of people at this dinner table in the Dining Room of The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel...said Dining Room was called at that time---1986-87---'Theodore's" after Teddy Roosevelt......So, here are some more pictures of that Celebration...... The Roosevelt had just re-opened after a two year major renovation---the first of many---and it was Beautifully Restored to it's "original" splendor.....Above, that is Mark Travis over on the left with his dear wife Dianne standing next to him, then me in my fancy "Hollywood" top and my very very short hair---don't ask----, and my dear Hungarian friend Hanna.....We were standing in the Beautifully Restored Lobby, waiting for the others to arrive..... And there above is my very dear old friend Bill Wood...A Wonderful writer and musician, who I met the very first year I moved to L.A., back in 1961.....We are still friends, though he and his wife Jeannie now live on Vachon Island, (Or is it Vashon??) off of Seattle..... I want you to see a close-up of this "top" I was wearing..... Those little round things surrounding each picture are little glittery rhinestones---you cannot tell from these pictures, but it was a fun blouse with ALL the "movie stars" from a certain period represented. Perfect for a Birthday Dinner at The Hollywood Roosevelt, don't you think?And in the picture above, Mark T. and I are sitting in the lobby, having a little drink while we wait for those others yo arrive and just before going into the lovely dining room..... Above, now in the dining room, I am visiting the other end of the table---Charley Berliner at the head, with Nancy O'Connor next to him.....On the opposite side of the table is Rojica Mossler, another Hungarian friend, now gone, and Bill Wood sitting next to her..... Above, Betty G. leaning over talking to Carroll O'. and Dianne T. next to him.....You might notice that Betty's cheeks look kind of chubby...She was on Prednisone at the time for her Asthma condition....It's the only time in ALL the years I've known Betty that she was ready to eat at any time! I had always been the one saying "Oh, I'm so hungry"...Now, during this time she was saying, "I Am Ravenous!" LOL, I loved it! Above, Nancy O'Connor explaining something with gestures; the wonderful John Carter next to her---John is a brilliant Actor and Director; and Jeannie Dougherty Wood, next to John....I'm not sure who she was talking to....the waiter, perhaps.....And below, Carroll is definitely talking to the waiter..... The food was really fantastic that night....the Hotel Restaurant really put their best foot forward when they re-opened the Hotel...And this particular meal was probably the best one we all ever had there.....Unfortunately the 'quality' did not hold up as time went on.... Above is my dear friend Hanna and next to her, the most talented unique Musician/Performer/Composer, Dale Gonyea....And a sweetheart of a man, too..... I must say, I love celebrations....not just of my own Birthdays, but other people's too.....It is a lovely excuse to get together and enjoy each other's company, don't you think? After dinner, we went back to my house for dessert and coffee....It is just up the hill from The Roosevelt----literally four minutes away..... Here is Hanna, showing me the fabulous Chocolate Cake with candles, from my favorite shop, "Sweet Lady Jane"....Nancy and Carroll standing behind, and Kendall Carter sort of hidden behind there....everyone ready to sing Happy Birthday to me....And after that, I was to cut the cake.....! And it was absolutely yummy! Sweet Lady Jane never disappoints....And I'm still getting my Chocolate Birthday Cakes from SLJ, to this day....You know, 'if it ain't broke, why fix it...', right? Here we are in my kitchen.....Nancy, Charley B., and Rojica and me with an enormous piece of cake.....! This is such a sweet picture of Carroll and Nancy, out on my deck.....They were married a very long time....I first met them in 1964 and they had just adopted their dear son Hugh around that time....Carroll was a very active member of Theatre West back then---we worked together quite a bit over the years---and he remained a member-in-good-standing of Theatre West until his death..... One last picture.....Carroll, now in his shirt sleeves---it was a very very warm night-----surrounded by all of us adoring ladies....Me, Rojica, and Betty. It was certainly a great and memorable night..... Back then, the newly restored Hollywood Roosevelt had a surge of interest and then, a few years later, changed hands....the new owners re-did the Hotel, once again, and then, some years later the Hotel changed hands one more time and went through yet another major renovation.....And now, it is THE "in" place once again for young Hollywood. This Hotel----my neighborhood Hotel-----with so much Hollywood History, 'lives', once again.....









More To Come........







38 Comments:
had this to say:

Isn;t it lovely to look at pictures and remember. I like your outfit.

I love the Easter flower pictures

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! A belated easter joy! I just love reading your 'good ole days' -- "those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end, we sit and dance forever and a day..."

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:45:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Oh, what great bday celebration! very nice memories. And the chocolate cake sounds like a dream!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:11:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great pics. You look great.

Cheers.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 6:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

All those renovations seem wasteful to me. The cake looks good (mine is carrot cake by a local baker EVERY year) and the party makes me smile. I moved to Floyd in 86.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 6:17:00 AM PDT 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

Naomi,
I cannot begin to tell you how much I adore your posts. I may not get to comment on all of them, but I enjoy each and every one. This one was no different! I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and your eloquent descriptions. It makes me feel as if I were actually a part of it.
Hugs!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely celebration to remember and have photos to share. You looked lovely and were having such a good time as it looked like everyone was

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Vashon. Been there many times. Your blouse--oo,la-la!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a wonderful birthday celebration with great guests!! Your blouse is outstanding, very chic.

It is so nice to see pix of Carroll and Nancy O'Connor and Betty too. Hmm, that prednisone plump look is catchy (I have it a lot due to MS).

Lovely pix, lovely memories.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely party you had back then!! I really love your outfit! Reading this makes me long to go out to a really classy restaurant, but we don't have any here!

It is so much fun to get together and celebrate with friends!! The cake looks yummy. You are making me so hungry!!

How is dear Sweetie??

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 11:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love that you have photos from all these celebrations and meals. I have so many memories, but no photos to go with them.Lately, I am trying to make sure that our memorable events are photographed now, so that we will have them in the future.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 1:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am suddenly craving chocolate cake! LOL Great pictures Naomi. You definitely need to write a book!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I wonder if you still have that Hollywood Top, it's fabulous, with all those Hollywood stars featured... I see James Dean smiling at me in that broody way of his....

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, this was SO much fun! Once again, I "felt" like I was right there with you. What great photos of such great memories. The joy and happiness come right through those pictures.
It's obvious you just love being with beloved friends and you make the most of all your moments. Thanks for sharing this, Naomi.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Okay I am not the only one thinking this...that blouse was fantastic!! You looked great, the cake looked yummy...what a wonderful way to stroll down memory lane...and bedazzle us non-hollywood types with the fun of it all!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
it's something, I can not explain, that inspires me to write rather than comment. Comments is so easy. Right?
"Great post" - Great pictures" -great story" etc.
I'm honest enough to say:
1) My English is not sufficient to express
2) If my English so was (1) we could have done a synophsys better than anyone else
3) Love your deducuation to bees and flowers
4)Your storytelling from you life is for me - how to explain - without beeing sentimental or "underdog". -- Norway and our Language was for me too small.
-- But I did start Theatre group(s)

Naomi:I love to read your blog. Allways inspring.

btw. Funeral Yesterday. My Aunt - 92

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Glad to see your Hollywood Roosevelt has regained stature. I certainly agree with some of your earlier posts when you took a drive and lamented all the cheapened architecture with those ads. Yuk!

Looks like a fun BD celebration!
Beautiful Easter flower pictures, too. I especially like the soft peach roses.

I like the looks of the Capitol Records bldg. still -- always search the skyline for it when in L.A. Remember going there years ago and looking at listings of old records, some of which we thought we had that were considered collectors items. Never got around to checking our 78s, so who knows now.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 5:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely blouse, so in-sync and in style with Hollywoord for sure Naomi :)

I've enjoyed your pictures and I can see that the chocolate was yummilious...hmmm wish I get to taste it kekekek..

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 5:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Isn't it great how photos can help bring back such great memories? Looking at your chocolate cake give the me the urge to find something sweet!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 6:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These pics were a treat, Naomi! Your blouse w/ James Dean and all the others on it, I hope you still have it. It's beautiful.

You've had some wonderful, memorable moments in that sparkly town of yours. Keep sharing, please.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 7:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Mmmmm, chocolate cake! :)

(Yes, I did read the rest of the post, but you know what chocoholics see....)

:D

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 7:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love seeing your photos and reading your memories dear Naomi! What a great celebration! You look great and I love your short hair, too!

Many hugs to you!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

Blogger b13
had this to say:

You have had some fantastic connections through the years. Carroll is one of my all time favorite actors. All in the Family made me laugh all through my childhood through adulthood. Those episodes never get old.

As always, thank you for allowing us to look into your world.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 9:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That top is so "you" :)
Love that you have so many pictures to go with your stories and memories.
They did a whole series on E! about the latest restoration of the Roosevelt. Bit of a stretch when you have to make that into a reality show.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 9:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a fun party! Thanks for sharing ... it's almost like being there!

And you were wearing a very cool blouse! I love it!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 9:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

gosh how I remember the tops like you had on!!! I think they still sold tops like that when I was living out there!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 7:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the photos!!! What a nice celebration!!!!!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 10:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love how circular history can be. It's so nice to know that this establishment is back "in."

I love your Birthday top Naomi. Great photos of everyone too. It's the time we make in our lives to celebrate and share with others that makes life meaningful. Everything else pales in comparison really doesnt it?

Given how extremely influential All in the Family was in changing both the impact of TV storylines as well as the influence it had on the discussions in real life about predjudism, women's rights, and even topics like menopause, sex and sexuality, it must've been so interesting to have a birds eye view on the phenomenon ...... and a chance to talk to Carroll O'Connor about it all. Fascinating!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 10:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Carroll O'Connor!
Squeee! LOVED him. SO talented!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 3:19:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'll bet you are lots of fun at parties! And such good friends you have, and have had in the past, that's what makes the ride all the more worthwhile. Loved the shirt, too! How fitting! LOL.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 7:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what a fun birthday! Carrol O'Conner has always been one of my favorite telly personalities. i grew up watching All in the Family and then later In the Heat of the Night. you have the neatest friends!

Betty G.looks great in these pics, too (not that she doesnt always in the pics you post of her). what a pretty lady.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 7:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You've had so many great times (I know I keep saying this over and over, but it's true)! What a wonderful night that must have been. You've always been so good about taking pictures. I've had some great times in my life with not one picture to show for it. I'm glad you have your pictures.

Friday, March 28, 2008 at 12:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are so right, celebrations, any celebration is a great reason to get together with friends and loved ones. This celebration seems like it was a very joyous occassion from your pictures :)

It is great that your house has seen so many of these events. It seems like it was built for celebrations, with your lovely deck opening from the lounge area. RThat chocolate cake looks like it was gorgeous! It's only breakfast time here but I am ready for a piece! LOL!

Friday, March 28, 2008 at 2:30:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a great party with the perfect cake. Yum Yum! I wonder if you still have that gorgeous top. It's the sort of top that would never date. They all looked fun people and Mark looked a bit of a heart throb.
I'll bet you are great hostess Naomi.

Friday, March 28, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful blouse :-)

I love those photos of your birthday :-D
....especially the one of you posing with your chocolate cake....

cq

Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 12:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh, what a celebration! I loved the photos and the story. You have the most fabulous photos. Seeing all of your photos from over the years makes me glad that I'm taking all the pictures that I am. I only hope my kids appreciate one day.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 5:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So, you're NOT going to tell us about your super short mod hairdo???
It's cute on you, but you sounded like you didn't like it.
Courtney would LOVE LOVE LOVE that top!!
Old Hollywood on display and with rhinestones!!
How wonderful that you have these photos, especially now that Carroll O'Conner has passed on. It obvious you all were having a great time.
That chocolate cake looks sinful. I WANT SOME!!!!
:-)

Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 9:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I stick with that chocolate cake too! It looks heavenly. Your hair was really short but it looked good on you and so did that FABULOUS top! That would be very cool to have and wear now!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 3:04:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.