Tuesday, September 19, 2006
some of my paintings

A number of people in the blogesphere, (particularly pickalish) have asked me about my paintings and expressed interest in seeing some of my work, so, here is a smattering for your perusal. This painting above is called "A Bunch Of Ten" (acrylic on canvas, 24X24, 1990)....this is my abstraction of some of the flowers in my Cactus Garden. No, none of the flowers actually look like this, but it is my 'abstract' interpretation....which sometimes one has no words for, you know? I guess if I had words for them, I wouldn't have painted them.... This is "My Hoodia Flowers" (acrylic on canvas, 24X24, 1990) Yes, I had a Hoodia Plant (this is the plant that has become famous as a diet aid, but this was not the case while I had these plants....that bit of info had not been discovered yet)...well, I actually had two of these other-worldly plants....and they had the most amazing flowers....Again, this is my interpretation in an abstract way of these beautiful...look-like-they-are-from-another-planet....flowers...

And here below is another painting from that same series...a bit smaller..I think it was 16X16, Acrylic on Canvas, 1990

And then...the one below here I used on the brochure for my One Woman Show in 1997. It was a Retrospective of my work which included things I had painted when I was a very young child as well as the more recent work...I included some of the color drawings from my childhood in that show because you can really see that I have pretty much been paintinga certain way, for my entire life...this painting above is called, "There Is Only One Of You", (acrylic on canvas, 24X24, 1990). And the title was taken from that quotation from Martha Graham to Agnes DeMille....where she told DeMille that "there is only one of you in all of time and this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist"....for me, an incredibly meaningful and inspiring quotation....So, though these flowers look very much like each other, each one is unique---no two are alike....just like all of us....

Going back in time, here is a very large panting, "Bullseye" (Acrylic on Canvas, 64X64, 1987)....And it was a very important painting for me....And it was in fact, a kind of breakthrough for me....the heart image broken apart, but behind it is the light, and the hope....

And here below is another important painting. Also a big canvas...it is called "Breakthrough". (Acrylic On Canvas, 72X80, 1987) Here the heart is still a puzzle and there are pieces missing, but, there is this truly hopeful light that is shining behind it and through it...even more hopeful than "Bullseye"...because the heart is no longer broken apart....it is together.

And here below are a couple of color-pencil drawings....these are from 1998...in fact all 60 or so drawings are from 1998....these have never been shown....so you all are seeing them for the first time.... This one above is called "Feathery Pinks & Oranges Headress" (Mixed Media,9X12, 1998) As I said, I did around 60 of these drawings...no two are alike...many combinations of colors and in general, the shapes though drawn free-form, were all similar....Here below is a drawing called "Multi Colored". The colors in the actual drawing are much more vibrant...richer, more natural....And this last drawing below....(I cannot find the name unfortunarely, but it was done during the same period of time as all the others)...Again, the colors are more vibrant in the actual drawing...and I know this because I did a number of drawings using these particular color combinations....I really loved this combination, a lot! Many of these drawings are framed in a very simple wood frame and covered with glass....You'll just have to come to my house to see all of them....(lol)...And they are for sale, of course....(my Lordy, pimping my own work....well, why not!)

I haven't shown very much of my work on my blog because I have had problems downloading my 4X5 transeparancies---and they are the closest reproductions of the actual works...and I don't have the proper scannig equiptment to do the paintings justice....so, what I've posted here is just about all that I have that look really good. The drawings I actually scanned in themselves....again, it would be better if I had a fantastic scanner....but, what you see is what I got! (lol)

Enjoy!




More To Come....







44 Comments:
had this to say:

That's an interesting series of paintings - I love the jigsaw puzzle heart. Michele sent me.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 3:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't know you have so great creative hands. They are all beautiful but my favorites are: Bullseye, Breakthrough, Feathery Pinks and Oranges and Multi Colored. The color is just beautifully blended.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed the headress ones -- the colors are so vibrant!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 5:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love them! Beautiful work.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I love the way you've done the lighting on the first ones you show. The flowers look textured, and that's really hard to make look convincing.

Kudos!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Geez Naomi I had no idea you were so talented. Those are awesome. The color, the feel, I love them.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, how fantastic, what positive statements you make with your work. They must be really impressive full sized with the colors and beauty of the shapes, defined down to their essence. I like the heart ones best because they express loss and promise at the same time. Thank you for sharing these. I have been one of those curious as to what you did.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 8:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful and creative paintings, Naomi! Love principally the "Bullseye" , with all this light behind it and the "Breakthrough". Your amazing idea of the heart as a puzzle with pieces missing is great!
Beautiful work! Well done!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 9:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ooo, those first four almost look like digital/computer artwork!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 9:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your paintings are beautiful. I started laughing when you wrote "pimping your own work." hehehe

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 9:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi darling. I love your paintings, but you already know Breakthrough is my favourite - the idea of a puzzle of a heart is fantastic!

It's so wonderful to see your work. You have such a command of colour and expression - a true artist.

Your photography is stunning and your artwork is incredible.

You are truly gifted, my dear.

cq

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ps - I think you should use Breakthrough as your avatar (your profile picture)

:-D

cq

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I am simply amazed! wonderful works!!!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the puzzle heart. Naomi, you never cease to amaze me. Talent!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 1:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, you are certainly a very talented artist! I love that quote bt Martha Graham too - it is so very true.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow Naomi! How fantastic! That first one I just stared at for the longest time, thinking how could anyone paint that?? It's so....perfect. You have so much talent Naomi. Thanks for sharing these. They are all great. My favorite is the first one! Amazing, truly amazing!!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 2:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

just beautiful. Thanks for showing them. Your talent is amazing.

I can see pretty pictures inside my mind - but they just don't come out the same on paper:-) I guess they will have to stay forever my own internal art.

I think the flower ones are my favourites. Or maybe the broken heart. Actually, all of them are fantastic!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 2:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your paintings are amazing. I love the colours and of course the light that emanates through them.. fantastic! When I looked at the previous photos of your plants I could see the pinky oranges and colours that inspired the paintings. Also I love that quote, it gave me goose bumps when I read it, how could you not create when you read something like that? I've written it in my diary.. Naomi your an inspiration as always :)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 3:08:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I really like the "Breakthrough". The colors are wonderful and the jigsaw puzzle look is so appropriate. When your heart breaks it shatters into a million pieces and putting those back together is very like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 3:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Fantastic in every aspect! I'm very impressed. If I live in the US, I would definitely would want to meet you in person. I just love everything.

(((Hugs)))

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 4:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They are so good! I love the heart. I saw some of your painting somewhere else on the internet. Art show info. Can't remember where. It was beautiful too.

You are so multi talented! It's amazing!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 4:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are very talented indeed!
As I was looking at the first ones (abstracts of flowers) I kept envisioning them in rooms decorated around them. I can just see those on the walls of a contemporary, highly chic room with white couches and colorful pillows and ultra cool track lighting spot lighting the artwork. I imagine myself sitting on one of the couches saying things like, "Bravo, baby! Those paintings really mooooove me!"

Bullseye and Breakthrough are brilliant.
They speak volumes.

Thanks for sharing your art with us. You have put a huge amount of time into your art over the years and the more people who can see it, the better!!!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love the soft lantern-like light effect on many of them. I think my favorite is the first one They are like meditation mandalas! Thanks so much for sharing this glimpse into yourself, Naomi. I never know how to describe you because you have so many talents and have done so many different things in your life.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A Renaissance woman! Good at nearly everything, it seems, and I have to say I love the last 3-4 drawings. The detail is impeccable.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh! Stunning.
I love the abstract flowers.
And I esp. love the puzzle heart.
And the drawings in pencil... did you use Berol Prismacolor, or maybe Aquarelle? I love the saturation you can get with Prismacolors. :)
I relaly enjoyed seeing these, Naomi.
Beautiful.
~S

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing a peak at your gift. I admire people with a talent to create beauty on an empty canvas.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All are very interesting but I really think the pencil ones are cool. What a talented person you are!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:23:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow! They are all great paintings. Good job!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:24:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love the colors that you use and I especially love the puzzle heart - especially after your telling of the meaning of it. You are so amazingly talented!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love them, and this is the part where I get to say neener I have seen some of them in real life too :)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back again. I'm looking forward to seeing the next batch

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 2:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You truely are a woman of many talents!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 3:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't say I've ever been an abstract person but your use of colors is outstanding! Some look as if you could look right through them..amazing! You need a website and photo's of your painting for sale on it!! Is there anything creative that you can't do? You are so good at everything you do!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

I must confess, I actually went on-line and looked you up so I could see some of your paintings. At the time I thought it would be a good way to see what you'd already put out there for public consumption, without prying into your private life or asking you to share paintings you hadn't already put out there. Now that I think of it, I was prying anyway. Hope you can forgive me. :-& I decided when I saw your work that I loved the colors, the shapes, the symbolism. I'm in awe of how multi-faceted you are, musically, artistically in theatre and on canvas. I'm so glad you're able to express yourself in so many ways. Too many people never explore or hone their talents.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous Naomi. But we had no doubts that any artwork with your name on it is impressive, be it acting, composing, painting, it seems you have a creative Midas touch. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cindi

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 9:13:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow, Naomi, you are certainly one, extremely, talented woman! I'm so impressed with your paintings.
I LOVE One of a Kind.....but the heart ones resonated with me. I just love the symbolism that all of your paintings depict. Thank you so much for sharing these with us and also thank you for your understanding and lovely comments on my Monday's blog.....leave it to another creative person to truly understand! You're one in a million, Naomi.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 4:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my goodness, your paintings just burst through the screen with color and life! I especially love the Breakthrough heart. . . .

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, those are AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing. I was wondering what your paintings looked like since I read your list of 100 things about you. Fascinating!

Thanks for stopping by earlier. Hope you're having a wonderful evening!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You do very beautiful paintings and drawings. A woman with many many talents I see :-).

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 8:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very interesting. I like abstract art when it deals with the forms in nature. I prefer DeKooning to Pollok, for example. Having seen photos of the local flowers in your garden, I immediately recognized the source material for you abstraction. You bring the same personal relationship to these forms with your painting that you do with your camera. Bravo!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 8:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those are so unique & beautiful. I think my favorite is "breakthrough", it's almost a story you can tell yourself. Thanks for sharing your artwork Naomi.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 2:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As I was scrolling down, Naomi, I thought Hoodia Flowers would be my favorite painting--then I came across Bullseye and that blew me away. I love it. The colors, the rendering, but most especially the emotional impact that it carries. Bravo.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 10:18:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The " Video Games Live" concert at the Hollywood Bowl would have been of interest to you, I think. That's right! Video games! Who would have thunk that magnificent innovative (classical) choral compositions and glorious visuals are happening in the framework of--video games! Some of the art bore a similarity of sensibility to your work, and the music drew upon such as "Carmina Burana". Like the gems you have shown us from your garden, you never know where beauty will be found.

Friday, September 22, 2006 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

ilove the heart one....soo much talent you have

Sunday, September 24, 2006 at 5:40:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.