Wednesday, September 27, 2006
200th post

Coming up on this 200th post, I thought well, maybe I should post a second hundred things about me....Not sure there are another hundred, and I fear I may repeat some of the ones from the first hundred...but, what the hell...Nothing ventured and all that Jazz....

So, here goes.....

1. I failed three subjects in 10th grade.
2. And back in 5th grade I got 15 U's (Unsatisfactory) out of a possible 30 Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory marks on my Report Card....well, that was half, wasn't it? Scary.
3. That was the year my parents seperated.
4. My excuse for 10th grade? I was an emotional mess, again, yet, still...
5. School was never my favorite place to be for 12 years...I think I said before, I didn't eat breakfast for 12 years because I was afraid I would throw it up. Fear is a terrifying thing, isn't it? I hate to throw up, will do anything, not to...including not eating breakfast for twelve years....!
6. My sister Robin who was 8 years older than me was Salutatorian of her High School Graduating class.
7. I was 212th (or near that) out of 270 students in my graduating class from High School. Not exactly a high number, is it?
8. My three siblings and I all went to the same Grade School, Junior High and High School. I don't think school grades really tell you a whole lot about what a person really has to offer or even if they are a good student or not. But those grades might just tell you a lot about a certain time in their life.
9. I was the worst student in my family. I always said if my mother had had another child after me, he/she would have flunked out of school completely.
10. My mother died of a rare kind of breast cancer. Pagets Disease which is cancer of the Nipple. It was April 2, 1966. I watched my mother take her very last breath.
11. My mother was 67 years old. I was 34 years old. (Well, I turned 35 two and a two thirds months later...)
12. My father had just turned 82 twenty days before he died. It was a heart attack. It was August 31st, 1981. He had a history of Heart Disease.
13. I had turned 50 two months before he died.
14. I have known more than 45 people who have died of AIDS related illnesses. Most of them were friends from the theatre. But not everyone.
14. Music has always been a lifesaver for me along with some other things, too, like chocolate.
15. I bought my first Ukulele---a small one, a soprano---in the fall of 1949 in Hollywood, CA. at Music City, which was a wonderful Music Store where you could go into a private booth and listen to a record,
16. I was going to USC Extension, at the time. I didn't have the grades to get into a regular college, anywhere.
17. I lived in a Co-Operative House at USC---a Dorm funded by The Soroptimist Club of Southern California.(It was really an old house they converted into a dorm.) I had two roomates.
18. The Soroptimists were the women's version of the Optimist Club.
19. We all had our jobs. And they changed from day to day. One day you would be cooking and the next day you might be doing the cleaning.
20. I experienced my first Earthquake tremor while living in that dorm.
21. I remember sitting at the dining room table and watching the chandelier sway while feeling the house move slightly. And even though I had never felt an Earthquake before I knew that's what it was....it was unmistakable.
22. Their were about 15 students who lived there.
23. It was somewhat International. We had a student from Iran when it was called Persia and another student was from Iceland.
24. I went to college because I didn't know what else to do.
25. I bought my second Ukulele in early 1963---it was a Baritone, which is the biggest Uke that was made at that time---again, at Music City in Hollywood. Isn't that odd that I buy both Uke's at the same Music Store 14 years apart.
26. I played my Baritone Uke on Broadway in "Spoon River Anthology".
27. "Spoon River Antholgy" opened on September 29th, 1963 at The Booth Theatre, off of Shubert Alley on 45th Street and eventually we moved to The Belasco Theatre on 44th Street. That was a very exciting time in my life.
28. I still have both these fine instruments. They are both Martin Ukulele's...the Stradivarius of Uke's, I might add. If you try to buy one on Ebay, it is very very 'dear' as they say, if you can find one, at all. Martin doesn't make The Baritone anymore, sad to say. I love my Ukes, a lot!
29. I had finally figured out what I really wanted to do while spending a year in the dentists chair, having returned to New York after only one semester at USC Extension.
30. Four dentists chairs, actually.
31. The first was the dental surgeon. The second was The Root Cnnel Dentist. The third was the Gum Dentist and the fourth was the genius who saved all my teeth from being pulled at age 19 and proceeded to do a comlpete mouth reconstruction. And I do mean complete.
31 1/2. That was the first of four complete mouth reconstructions in my lifetime and then, my teeth went downhill from there!
32. 1950 was a very very hard year.
33. One day, I took the Long Island Railroad into Manhatten on the way to one of those dentists and ran into a High School friend. We sat together as the train wended it's way into the city and she told me she was in Drama School.
34. I knew the moment she talked about it that this was what I wanted to do.
35. That fall, when the year of dental hell was over, I entered The Feagin School Of Drama & Radio.
36. They added the word 'Television' to the name of the school soon after I began my Junior Year.
37. Finally, I could eat breakfast in the morning, cause I loved going to this school. Taking classes in subjects that really excite you makes all the difference, doesn't it?
38. Feagin was on the 6th floor of The International Building of Rockerfeller Center, an exciting area to be in. NBC was nearby and Radio City Music Hall, too. We were on Fifth Avenue, between 50th and 51st Street. I loved every wonderful moment of it.
39 The Feagin School was were I met my Soul Mate, Sammy...my Bestest for 35 years, till he died (much too soon), in 1985
40. My very first 'paying' job as an actress was in a production of "Arsnic & Old Lace". I played Abby...she was one of the old eccentic sisters. I was not even 20 years old, at the time.
41. It was a production we had done at Feagin and then we did one performance for somene's church group and we each got paid $3. a piece. My very first dollar earned as an actress!
42. That first summer after my Junior year at Feagin, I was an Apprentice at The Sea Cliff Summer Theatre. As hard as we worked...and we worked non-stop, day and night, I loved that too!
43. I was chosen to be Eva Gabor's "dresser" during the week she played Sea Cliff in a light comedy called "Her Cardboard Lover".
44. She called me 'Gertrude' for the first 2 or 3 days...that was the name of the dresser no doubt at the previous theatre she was at. And I'm sure, when she moved to the next summer theatre the following week, that person was called 'Naomi'...well, at least for the first few days.
45. I turned 20 that first summer at Sea Cliff.
46. Switching gears here: I've never been to a Starbucks.
47. I've never eaten a McDonalds French Fry!
48. I've never eaten a McDonalds Hamburger!
49. I've never eaten a McDonalds anything!!!
50. I have smoked pot. (More than once.....)
51. I've never had a baby, though I thought about it.
52. I've never had an abortion.
53. I've never been married...(but then you already know that...!)
54. I've been in love (or thought I was) 4 times, not counting grade school and high school.
55. It never worked out, I'm afraid.
56. I really don't know how to do that. I wish I had known, but it just wasn't meant to be.
57. I've never been good at 'love' type love, but I'm great at friendship type love, if that makes any sense. Well, it does to me.
58. I wanted to have a baby with two of the men I was in love with. (those were the baby's I thought about having, as mentioned earlier...)
59. It is a really good thing that I didn't have any baby's, because it would have been a disaster, all around!
60. I love tomato juice.
61. I love chocolate. Well, Dark Chocolate, to be precise, though I will not turn my nose up at milk chocolate.
62. I used to love Shrimp Cocktails with Russian Dressing.
63. I rarely if ever eat shrimp anymore.
64. I love Bumble Bee Tuna Fish and used to buy it by the case.
65. In truth, I don't trust anything that lives at the bottom of the sea...think about what else is at the bottom of the sea and I'm sure you might understand why I don't trust all those things that crawl around down there.
66. I ate Mussells once, in the South of France and was sick all night. I never ate them again. Lesson Learned.(lol)
67. I loved the South of France.
68. The Best Chocolate Mousse I ever ate was in the South of France.
69. The Best Chocolate Souflle I ever ate was in the South of France.
70. It was so good, we went back to the restaurant the next night just to eat their chocolate mousse desert, and they didn't think we were crazy! Like I said, I loved The South of France!
71. The Best Croissant I ever ate was in the South of France.

72. The Best Creamed Spinich I ever ate was at Sardi's Restaurant, in New York, N.Y. Sardi's was like your home when you were in a show on Broadway. It was and is a theatrical restaurant and they really took great care of you, especially on matinee days. I loved it there.
73. As a child my family used to travel by train from New York to Florida.
74. We always had a little goody box that we took with us filled with little candy's like Tootsie Rolls, and we were allowed to eat one or two of these before going to sleep at night in our drawing room on the train.
75. I loved our house in Florida. It was on the water....the bay side.
76. There was a rather large beautiful Hotel down the street from us. I use to walk there to the Arcade and that is where I would buy my Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum, when the package was muilti colored stripes. I loved Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum. I bought all my movie magazines and comic books there, as well. I sure loved my movie magazines and my comic books.
77. The Hotel was called The Nautilus, and lots of very wealthy people would come their from up north on their very large yachts which they would dock at the Hotels Dock right there on the bay.
78. During World War 2, the Hotel became a Hospital. And as far as I know it still is a hospital to this day. I know it was a very needed thing at the time, but I was really sorry it wasn't a hotel anymore cause I thought it was truly special I think because of the beautiful Spanish style architecture.
79. One year, when we were in Florida at Passover, we were having our Sedar, and just before it was time to open the door for Elijah, our doorbell rang. It was pretty amazing.
80. I remember our dining room table in the house on North Bay Road. It was a beautiful Cobolt Blue Glass see-through table....It was very Deco. Well, the whole house was very Deco because that was the time of 'Deco', only it was just called 'moderne' back then. It was the 30's.
81. I shared a bedroom with my sister Gene and my brother Gordon when we would be in Florida, otherwise, we all had our own rooms in our home in Great Neck.
82. I had three very dear friends all through school...well, one from Kindergarten and the other two from the 10th grade. We are all still good close friends. We are all still alive! We are all 75!
83. They all were married and all of their husbands died of Lung Cancer. 84. They all smoked and we all smoked, too.
85. None of us smoke anymore, Thank God!
86. None of these three women lives here in California. I miss them.
87. I still miss Sammy, after 21 years. Love never dies, unless it is killed by something really horrible, but truthfully, I'm not really sure it's actually dead even then.
88. I watch too much television.
89. But I enjoy so very many varied 'entertainments'.
90. I love Netflix!
91. I use to be hooked on daytime Soap Opera. It started when I was so sick when I was nine and was in the Hospital for three weeks. These were radio Soap Opera's. "Portia Faces Life", "Young Widow Brown", "Guiding Light". Etc....They saved my life.
92. Then I gave them up for many many years, till I had Mono and couldn't even pick up a book! Someone said, 'watch daytime television'...and I said, 'Oh, I can't watch daytime tv'...!
93. But I had no choice, because I didn't have the energy to hold a book. And in three days I was totally hooked on the television soaps.
94. "Young Doctor Malone", "From These Roots", "Search For Tomorrow", "Guiding Light", and "Love Of Life"...
95. And later...the innovative-it-changed-the-face-of-soap-opera..."The Young And The Restless" and "Guiding Light", again...
96. "The Young And The Restless" brought glamour, couture, music, and sex, to daytime....no other soap opera had done what they did. It was 1974.
97. Soap Opera was never the same, and it was a true revolution! A good one, at that!
98. Sammy was hooked on 'the soaps', too, Thank God! Eventually, he began writing for "Search For Tomorrow"...I was able to tell him everybody's back story. That was the one soap, he had never been hooked on.
99. I finally kicked the soap habit about 20 years ago. Finally and I hope, forever. It was not long after Sammy died, actually. But, I couldn't turn the television off at night after Sammy died...and I still can't.
100. I guess I replaced daytime "Soaps" with all the nightime soap operas...Did you know that the revenue accrued from Daytime Advertising pays for Nightime Programming? (Well, it used to...I don't know if it still does....but I wouldn't be surprised if this is still the case)

And, there you have it....another 100 things about me and my life....I guess if I had to, I could write another 100....but, not today!
ENJOY!



More to come.....










37 Comments:
had this to say:

congratulations on your 200 posts!! You sure have a remarkable memory! How wonderful that you and your closest friends are still friends after all the years gone by!!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 5:04:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Wow, I don't think I could even thing of 50 things about myself, much less 100. Congrats on your 200th post. Grades really don't tell you a lot about a person or their chance for future success in the world, there are so many variables. You've had such an interesting life! Oh and I love Art Deco. My house was built in 1930 and it's next to impossible to find anything Deco in my area to decorate it with. Thanks for sharing your 100. All very interesting glimpses into your life.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 7:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a GREAT list Naomi! You know I always love the tidbits, and bits and pieces, and those trivia items that no one seems to mention but are always the most intriguing for me.

Happy 200th

Cindi

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 7:55:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Terrific list and congrats on 200 posts. :-)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I always love your posts, but this one was above and beyond! I am looking forward to your 300th post!

And one must always eat dessert when one is in France. Even if you eat nothing else...lol!

Just as an aside, my mom died at age 69 when I was 33 before I had a child. Her mom died at age 55 when she was 33 and before SHE had a child. I'm determined that I'm going to break that chain!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations dear Naomi, on your 200 posts!! I always love your posts and this one is just great! Some times ago I told you exactly what Pickalish said just now and I agree totally with her: I truly think you should write a memoir. I have an immense pleasure reading about the experiences you've had, about the interesting people you've know and loved, the places you've been and all about your creative life of composer, singer, musician, artist and so on! Truly, I am an enthusiastic fan of you!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 4:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations on 200 posts, Naomi, and I hope you will have thousands more! Always entertaining, this one was ven more so.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 5:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congrats on 200 posts Naomi - love, love, love your list. You are a treasure. Love and hugs.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

YEAH 200! Here's to 200 more. I love reading, you are an amazing woman.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 9:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations on 200 posts! What a fantastic, brave, inspirational life.. I agree you reeeaaally need to write your memoir
Enthralled and enlightened since discovering your site.. Hey, your my day time /night time soap! hehe

Hugs
Tanya

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 9:47:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Congratulations on 200 delightful posts! just like the anniversary one, loved reading your list, all the interesting details! You haven't missed a thing at McDonald's, lol. I am glad my son is now older and enjoys "food".And as I told you, I grew up with earthquake tremors, but that doesn't mean I don't find them disturbing!! the problem is, one never knows if it is the "big" one or just a tiny one... Tuesday evenings is my soap evening: 2 in a row!
Wonderful post as always, we are so spoiled by you!! and congrats again :)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 12:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Nice post. Well written, and so much life in the words. We've lived such different lives and believe in different ways and yet we are much alike :)

Amazing that the human race is very spread apart, but very connected. I enjoyed reading your list and congrats on 200!

How'd you get so MANY readers in only 200 posts... you must share your secrets :)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 12:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations dear Naomi on your 200th post!!!! I very much enjoyed reading this second 100 things about you! You are quite an interesting gal! One I love getting to know!

*hugs*

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 2:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Congrats on 200 posts (mental reminder to check how many I'm up to now). I'm still failing to write my first 100 things, so double congrats on another 100 from you. Full of interesting stuff once again:-)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 2:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You've had quite an eventful life, haven't you?
I think you should write a book. Someday, I'm going to write a book.
When my kids are in school, and I am brave enough to take on the task. :)
I learned alot about you...I didn't know you were Jewish for instance. :)

Kendra

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 6:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I enjoy getting to know you better. I got a shiver when the girl told you about "drama school." I love the way in life clues like that come and we KNOW them when we see them. Regular school was too small a fishbowl for you. I did very well in school until algebra. I felt like I was going to have a seizure trying to do that and complicated math problems. I was also intimidated by the "smart kids" so I would check my self out of classes that I felt uncomfortable in.

You make me want to go to the south of France just to eat. I was in France once in the 70s....to poor to eat anything but bread and cheese.

Naomi, you rock!

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Miss Naomi,
Congrats on the 200th post. I'm so thrilled to read all of your adventures. You haven't let anything slip by you. You have lived, lost & loved. Traveled, met outstanding people along the way. Survived bad things that happened, and still seem to have such a wonderful vibrance to you. There is still more adventures to come your way I'm sure. You have the Gusto!!! I think you are the most awesome person. My brother -n- law lives in Redondo Beach. He does alot of the Graphic effects stuff on tons of movies. I'm hoping sometime next year for us to be coming for a visit. I would love for you & I to maybe set up a lunch date one day when we do, if you would like?. Of course I'll let you know real close to the time we schedule going to see if you will be available then. I must meet you in person:-).
Have a Wonderful day!!.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 9:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How fun. You made a list that reads like a story! :)

Yay you for 200 posts, I'll bet it's flown by, all the writing, eh? :)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 10:07:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Congratulations and I can't wait to see what your next 200 hold. You really are a survivor though I can't imagine not one Micky Dees Fry or Hamburger ever. And STarbucks! I love Starbucks. I am sure you are a better person for not going in those places!
I so hate what happened to your mother and that still there hasn't been very much done research wise all these years later for that particular type.
Congrats again Naomi, you are one of a kind.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 11:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So, Naomi, when you opened the door at Passover--was it Elijah that had rang the doorbell?

54. I've been in love (or thought I was) 4 times, not counting grade school and high school.
55. It never worked out, I'm afraid.


How can you say you've had bad luck with love when you were together with Sammy for 35 years? Even if that was a "like" type relationship in your mind, it seems to me that staying together for that long constitutes love of the most precious kind. Maybe it's just because he died 21 years ago--but still, he was with you nearly half your life. Nearly 65% of your adult life!

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 11:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi! Where to begin!
Okay, Bway in 63/64... I'm picturing you at Sardi's with the likes of Zero Mostel, Sondheim, Carol Channing, David Merrick, Jerry Heman and Gower Champion. Those were great years on Bway... Dolly, Funny Thing, etc. :) What a thrill. And I really love how cozy The Booth is. I've seen a few things there, and I always know it's going to feel more intimate.

Enjoyed your list. :)
Do you have photos from Sardi's?
~S

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 12:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations!!!
My humans are'nt here so I'm using the computer I just had to stop by to see what you have been up tooo,woof-woof 200 that's alot for a human!!What a TREAT..

Lot's of Lick's
Sam

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 1:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations! 200 posts, how cool is that!!!

I loved your list, of course, but #8? That one is pure genius. I have never thought of it like that, and you are absolutely and 100% right about it.

I have copied and pasted #8 to my file of fabulous quotations.

Now, here's to your next 200 posts!

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Have I told you how much I adore you?

Here's 100 more reasons....

cq

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

There are some days when I can not even think of one thing to list. Good for you and congrats Naomi! :)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 3:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Aunty Em, you haven't missed a thing by never having had McDonalds or Starbucks, both very overrated and blah.
I love your 100 list, I missed my 100th and my blogiversary, I really should pay more attention to dates.
Having said that today it is the 29th Sept HERE so Happy 43rd anniversary for Spoon ;)
Easy to remember I was three days old when it opened HAHAHA.
Love you muchly say hi to the Starline bus dudes for me.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Congrats on the 200 posts. I LOVE your list. Of course I'm sitting here stunned that you've never done McDonald's.

You're amazing, and have such wonderful, fun things to share with all of us.

I hope you don't mind that I'm a big, big admirer.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! That was amazing! I can't believe you've never had a McDonald's anything.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 6:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are just AMAZING! I couldn't even come up with 100 things to say about myself - and you've come up with 200! And I bet you've still got another 100 hidden behind the cactus!

Happy 200th post!!! I'm impressed that you even noticed it!

I missed my 100th ... and I missed my 200th... and I think I won't even TRY to remember my 300th - cuz what's the point having not commemorated the first 2? Maybe I'll wait until 500 and really do it up BIG! LOL! (but don't count on me to remember my blogaversary either...)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 6:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I read this list, and I perked up each time your mentioned chocolate. It is a life saver for me too!

I hate that you experienced so much fear and so many years of sadness.
No breakfast for twelve years??? Have some pancakes right now, PLEASE!
It is wonderful that you found something to be passionate about and your world opened up!

Dark chocolate truffles make the world go 'round.

#200!! I think you are addicted to blogging.
That's okay. So am I.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great list Naomi!! I was wondering if you had been in earthquakes and if you might blog about them sometime!

Always fascinating to learn more about you!! Congratulations on your 200th post!! Cheers (raises glass)!! :)

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 8:27:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Those soaps are so easy to get hooked on, even if you can predict the storyline and even if in real life the little kids couldn't possibly morph into college age teenagers in two years. This last "theatrical license" is the one that really makes me laugh.

Congratulations on your 200th post.

Friday, September 29, 2006 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an interesting list! Thanks for sharing :)

Friday, September 29, 2006 at 9:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

School grades sure don't tell everything about the person. However, what they do tell is what the person is not.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, Naomi, thank you so much for letting me know you'd posted this and CONGRATS to you on your 200th post...quite an accomplishment!
I totally agree about formal schooling...while it might be nice to excel, etc. it's NOT the end-all and be-all of WHO we will become as adults and what we'll do with the rest of our lives. And you sure did mighty fine!
I'm glad you had Sammy in your life and I'm sure his spirit will always be with you.
As for soaps...I still love All My Children, One Life to Live and Guiding Light...not addicted, but enjoy watching if I'm home.
Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us....I feel I've now gotten to know you even a little better.

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

*hugs*
I am sure that you remember your family & friends in the most wonderful ways. By blogging for instance.

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 11:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congrats!! 200 posts, what a milestone!

And such an insightful list. I am glad to read you had someone special in your life (your Sammy) and thank you for sharing all this with us!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 5:29:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.