Monday, April 15, 2013
my children.....

This is a post I wrote one day before my 75th Birthday. I am re-posting it because I am going to write something about "Teeny", that kind of relates to my last post.....'the stain in the dish'.
Enjoy!

This was my first child. My longest most lasting, most enduring intimate relationship. This was "Baby". She lived to be 20 1/2 years old and along with her dear sweet brother Sugar, they were my first children. As you all most likely know I never married and I never had any children-children. So...when these two kitty's came into my life---and they were just kittens---I knew a love that I had not known before.


Here is Baby with her dear dear brother, "Sugar". Sugar was such a very special little kitty...he was so very needy that he used to suck Baby's toes as if he were nursing...somehow the loss of his mama too early effected him in a way it didn't effect Baby...and maybe he picked up her female vibe and knew that she would 'take good care' of him. Eventually she got bored with the toe sucking routine and being the amazing kitty that he was, Sugar discovered he could suck his own back toes and be very satisfied with the comfort he provided himself. People loved Sugar and because he would go to anyone, some people would say..."He's just like a dog!". This very dear cat was only 5 years old when he died. And even though I had gone through many deaths of people that were incredibly important to me including my mother---this loss taught me what the word "heartbreak" really meant.



Next came Silky.

Ahhhh Silky, the most Spiritual and Peaceful of all my cats, ever. He rarely used his voice. He really didn't have to. He didn't seem to 'need' the way Sugar and/or even Baby did...when he did use his voice it was for something very very important. Otherwise, he just "was". The most Mysterious and Egyptiany of all my feline children. A fine fine person, was he....Steady. There. Loving. In his quiet deep way he was very very wise. He lived to be 17 1/2 and the day he died he spoke. I knew that meant something important had happened. And it had. For the first and only time in his life he had peed in the closet and he wanted to let me know...always the gentle soft spoken person that he was...he wanted me to know that his kidneys and his bladder were failing. I held him and soothed him for the next 5 hours, until he died in my arms. Another Heartbreak...but one, though it carried with it great grief, I was okay with. He had lived a good long life and then he became an 'old man'. It was his time, but still, it was very very sad....it makes me cry right now to think about how very dear he was.




Then came Teeny....(yes I love all these diminutive names...).

Teeny was one of Baby's children from her second litter. (And what a 'Queen' she was with her little one's!). He was the cat that took over the household. He was the cat that became the Alpha Cat---if there is such a thing---Baby, Sugar & Silky taking a back seat to this little darling feisty boy! And that's what he was, a boy. He ran all over the place and had to be first in everything and 'into' everything, too...I think if a cat could be a "sports nut" that is what Teeny would have been....he was a real Macho boy! He slept with me, Spoon Style up against my back or against my chest...just like the little boy that he was. He loved being cuddled in the bed and I loved cuddling him. And like his Momma, he was a six toed cat. I loved those big paws....talk about dear....

He died too young, too. He was only 9 years old but he packed a lot into those nine years and I missed him terribly after he died...but Baby & Silky were very very comforting and moved into spots that there had been no room for them to take up while Teeny was alive.


After Silky died, it was just Baby & me. I think she really loved having me all to herself and got closer than ever to me. She was one happy cat. Like Silky...Baby became a little old woman...She wasn't ill. She just got old. I had these cushions for her so she could get up on the bed more easily...they were like steps going up to the bed and her favorite place on the bed was right next to my pillows near my head. That is where she would spend most of her time...especially the last year of her life. On the bed, right next to me and sometimes in the crook of my arm. I knew that her time was drawing near when I could see that she was no longer washing around her mouth...her whiskers and all had a brown tinge to them...the color of the food she ate...poor dear sweetheart. That is how she looked when Pierce Brosnan, who was my next door neighbor at that time, came over to meet her...talk about a sweet man. It was ten days after his visit that Baby died...and as with Silky, I held her in my arms cradling her like the 'baby' she was and watched her take her very last breath...This cat had given me so very much in those 20 1/2 years...what she brought to my life---what she taught me about love----was incalculable.


The evening of the day Baby died, the two older Brosnan children, and they were just children then....rang my doorbell and brought me this dear little ball of fur---this wonderful kitten. I named her Mooney. She looked up at me with these moony eyes...Her formal name was Moon Feather Caryl...of all my cats Mooney made me laugh more than any other. She was one independent little street cat---she had been a stray that the Brosnan's had found down in Malibu. I missed the physical closeness that I had had with all my other cats. But this was her. Mooney was yet again another country heard from...! Eventually she came round...but she was never a lap cat. That just wasn't her personality.

But she sure was a lot of fun...! She lifted my spirits and it was fun to have a kitten in the house again. Her death at 12 years old haunted me for a long time. And because of that, I wasn't ready to bring another cat into my life for a while. It actually took me a year and a half before I could and would contemplate finding another little feline presence. Miss Moon had broken my heart, once again, and it and I needed time to mend.

And mend I did. So seven years ago this white ball of fur with gorgeous blue eyes entered by heart, crawling in there and making my life very full again...Most all of you have met him...he is Sweetie. The Dearest Of The Dear! "The Mister"..."The Sweetster"..."Old Blue Eyes", "Mr. Sweetie", etc., etc...There couldn't be a more wonderful cat for me, especially at this time in my life...he seems to combine elements of each one of my children who came before him, and he is definitely a one-person cat, very very bonded to me, I'm happy to say. As many of you already know, Sweetie has his own blog, too...If you are reading this, which one can only assume you are...Sweetie is on my blogroll...go say 'Hi' to him if you have the time. He loves visitors and comments, too!

He was about 6 months old here...and still growing into himself....If you go visit him you will see many many photographs of him...
So there you have it....today I have shared the rest of my family with you...tomorrow is 'The Big Day'...and I almost cannot believe it is finally here. You all probably feel the same way...! (lol)

12:01am, June 27th...Party Time, Here In The Hills...See you then, my dear dears....or whenever you can come on by....
(First posted June 26th, 2006)

As most of you know....my dear "Sweetie" is gone now, too....Bless all these darling little souls. They gave me so very much joy over these many many years....I will always be deeply grateful for their unconditional love...... 




 More To Come......







52 Comments:
had this to say:

What a LOT of cats you've had! LOVE the pictures.

My cat Kim (Kimberley) died of cancer last year and I haven't had the heart to get another one. I'm not sure if I ever will.

It is strange not having a cat around the house though - especially after tripping over one for 12 years (she was actually 18 when she died but had been living with my parents for 6 years whilst I worked in London).

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Awww, all those furry kids, wonderful pictures and great stories, Naomi. Some of them straight to the heart. We had a white cat, Nico, when I was a teenager, he left one night and never returned. I was so brokenhearted and so sad I decided I couldn't handle through loosing a pet one more time in life. That's why we've never had pets at home. I still remember how he would come to my bed in the morning, he knew when it was time to get up to go to school and would walk his way from my feet to my face, will never forget the feeling of those paws gently moving on my bed... But moving on to happier things: one more day!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 4:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi! What a wonderful post about all your children. Now I will have to find some photos of my early animals, who all meant as much to me as yours have. See: you have inspired another post. Good for you! Sweetie's eyes are the most incredible blue!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank goodness for the animals in our lives!!.. they do help teach us and are always missed as much as if they were a person..gads.

Wow tomorrow is almost here!! I know I'm not the first to say it but : HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAOMI!!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

All of you're sweet adorable babies seemed so wonderful..I like you have no children, so my *whispering* animals are my babies. I whisper because they don't know they are animals. ( 2 Shih-ztu's and an African Grey Parrot)*wink*. I'm sorry I won't be around to attend your wonderful Celebration. I will be in Alabama with my Mom. I would like to wish you the most wonderful, fun filled, loving, Birthday ever!!!!. You will be in my thoughts.. Happy Birthday to you my new friend :-).

Angela

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 6:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I understand completely how much you love and have loved your furkids. I too have shared my life with such dear and loved pets.. both dogs and cats.

I found this lovely quote which, to me, says so much.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
~Irving Townsend

Simply Coll
http://colleenscorner.com/blog/

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Moon looks like my cat George from my childhood. She was my most favorite kitty ever! Happy day before your birthday! ;)

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 7:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning dear Naomi!
Love all your dear babies! They are adorable. The photos are wonderful too! They give to us such love, such companionship! They are our family indeed!

Some day would be great to see your bookshelves. I can see a little of your bookshelves at the photo of you with Mooney.

Hurray! The BID DAY is coming soon! The cake looks delicious!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It really is so hard to lose a furbaby. Our three dogs died within 15 months of each other. We had had them for 13 years or so. But I couldn't stand not having a dog around, so we got one pretty quickly after we lost the last one. I had to smile when you said Sweetie combines elements from your other cats, because so does our latest puppy combine the elements of the first three. It's funny how that happens. :) Beautiful cats all of them!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ohhh those babies are so beautiful!

And the stories behind them made my heart sing. Isnt it funny hwo our pets becaome such a big part of us. I love all my pets like babies and they are all so beautiful!

I remember when I lost my first cat when I was 10. I was so heartbroken and it was the first time I learned about death and dying. :(

One of my dogs is 12 so I am just praying she makes it. She is still spounky so I think she has a lot of years left.

I have three dogs and tw0 cats but they have to remain with my parents. So every weekend I go and visit them and it always puts a smile on my face.

:)

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Aw, you made me think of Spencer and Sebastian. Aren't cats great. No more kitties in our house so I will live vicariously through you! :)

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 10:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

quite a list of feline loves you have there. Congratulations on your Birthday - may it be filled with joy, thanks for always sharing your memories with us!
Happy Brthday Naomi

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 10:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Purrthday Sweetie's Mommy! You've been owned by lotsa purrty kitties. :)
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrs!
Sanjee, Boni, Mini, Pepi, Gree and the Cat Staff

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your furkids! I'm one of those women who can't have children-children, so I have my kitties instead!
And it's heartbreaking when you lose them, but you gain so much from their friendshaip.

I'm gonna send my felines over to have a look at your babies :-)

cq

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 2:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Mama told us you had pictures of your furkids on your blog!

What a lot of happy kitties you have had, Momma Naomi!

You know, Mama had a 'Sugar' briefly...but he went to Rainbow Bridge the same day she met him. She wrote a story about him.

And she's had Spook and Pappy and Echo and Ambrose.......

Happy Birthday for tomorrow...

from the

Britcats!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Being a cat person, this particular trip down memory lane is especially wonderful. I know what you mean about them being your children, and when they die, it does break your heart.

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Found you via Mamacita and just wanted to wish you a WONDERFUL 75th birthday!! And what a lovely gallery of precious kitties -- thanks for sharing them with us!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 3:18:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

happy birthday to you,happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Naomi, happy birthday to youuuuu!
It's already your bday on this side of the planet, sending bday wishes your way,my dear, may you have a wonderful day (I am sure it will be!),will come over tomorrow first thing in the morning when your party starts! chilled champagne is already in my fridge for the virtual party :)

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 3:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Everyone knows I'm not a cat person, Naomi, but this post of yours is almost enough to convert me.

What a loving tribute to those almost-children that you've had over the years. It definitely seems like you've saved the best one for the present. He's just so beautiful!

Happy Birthday-eve!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All of your children are so different and unique, just like every family :)
It is already your birthday here (there is a message for you on my blog)
Sweetie is just gorgeous.

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

"A house is not a home without a cat!"

Just stopped in to wish you a very "Happy Birthday"!

May your day be filled with Laughter and Love!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved hearing about all your children over the years and seeing their wonderful pictures. Each one has been such a joy to you. I know how it is. I have lost some wonderful children too. My last one that I lost was Sammy. What a dear he was and he died young. Got fluid in his lungs and had it taken off and it came back, etc. until he had to be put down. How heartbreaking it was for me. Cats have their own personalities and he was a sweetie. I really miss him.


Anyway, it's almost PARTY TIME!! This has truly been a wonderful idea to do this!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:52:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

What wonderful kitty friends you have had. I have a brother and sister pair very similar to your Sugar and Baby. Their mother died when they were too young and Rhett had a hard time. He snuggled with Scarlett and started licking and suckling her belly, kneading on her just like a kitten. She let him for about a year and then just got tired of it one day and hit him real hard with her paw. Now they snuggle but he seems to have gotten over it. Hope so since they are about 10 now.

Happy Pre-Birthday Day!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:53:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

What wonderful kitty friends you have had. I have a brother and sister pair very similar to your Sugar and Baby. Their mother died when they were too young and Rhett had a hard time. He snuggled with Scarlett and started licking and suckling her belly, kneading on her just like a kitten. She let him for about a year and then just got tired of it one day and hit him real hard with her paw. Now they snuggle but he seems to have gotten over it. Hope so since they are about 10 now.

Happy Pre-Birthday Day!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the pix of your children. :)
We have 4 and cherish and love them beyond description. We lost one a couple years ago, so I related to your stories.
The four we have now are quite the entertaining bunch. Oboe, Golly, Mokee and Rugby. They're on my photo blog. :)
Enjoyed reading about all your cats. I could feel the emotion with which you wrote.

~S :)

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 7:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sugar was what my hubby calls a Catdog.
He loves when a cat behaves more like a dog.

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 8:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing about all your family lately in the days leading up to your birthday! This part of the family, these kiddos/kitties are so very cute and I know how much you've loved each and every one. :)
Tomorrow's the big day! Party!!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 9:29:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Maybe it is only me, but I don't seem to be able to leave a comment on your current bday post, THE post...I will try again later but it could be that a deleted comment is blocking the way...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 6:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing about your cats. I only had one, and she died last year. I want another one, but I've been away so much that I can't quite decide if I should or not. They are such comfort and company, aren't they.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 9:10:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my - keywords: site.
Have a good day!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I miss Sweetie too.

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 10:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I've got tears rolling down my face now!

I adore cats and they're more than just pets, but family.

Over the years I've had Tiger, Timmy, Tommy and Tigger (the last 3 being Tiger's brood), and now Mika and Leo.

All the cats (apart from the ones born to Tiger) have turned up and needed homes, so we took them in.

I could never be without a cat.

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 1:04:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

You had many wonderful children. All special and loved in their own way. I still feel pain for my babies, I understand your loss.

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 8:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I honestly love my cats more than most people, and felt worse when they left his world than when some people did. Maybe that's not kosher to say, but your post certainly resonated with me. You have had some wonderful kitties!

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 10:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I really enjoyed reading about all your furry friends, Naomi. I've had a sucession of cats through my life too, all gone now, leaving behind happy memories. There was big ginger cat Sandy when I was little, then fluffy Pandy, who had kittens Dandy and Andy, and when they were gone, along came Randy. Since then, I have shared my home with ginger tom Midge, Puff (who went to live with the family next door), calico Dixie (lived to be almost 20) and Marmo. All gone now, I live a pet-free life. But maybe I should blog about them.....

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 5:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow I had no idea you had so many lovely cats! What wonderful stories you told about each one of them. It must have been so painful losing each one. We had two cats, Pixie and Bubble, they are both dead now, but they were wonderful.

I remember all about your lovely cat Sweetie.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, I missed you!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 6:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely pictures even though I'm not a cat lover. x

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 7:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh my... i can't help but shed some tears.. memories of my own many similiar. Boo likes to sleep by my head, and the photo of Mooney against the wall..I have a photo like that (somewhere) of my Garfield..after washing himself in that position he would let his back slide down the wall and nap on his back ..belly up!

loosing our animals is like loosing a child.. it seems wrong that they can't outlive us. :o(

I can tell you of a cat I have no photo's of because I was maybe 7 or 8 yrs old when my brother came home with a cat and told my mother it was free and a male. Well the free part was right! I lived in a 4 family house in between the two back porches there was a huge ash pile from burning coal and wood... as a kid I would climb it and there was a window to our "bathroom" there (only a toilet no tubs yet inside).. I saw "kitty Grey" there on the windowsill and something wet by her.. I thought she had caught a mouse.. I climbed the ash pile and she was washing off her first kitten! she was giving birth on the windowsill! .. there were 4 in all and since something royal was going on the television my brother named them all after "royals".. duke/ dutchess/ etc lol..

hard to believe that caring for an animal has become so expensive (the vet bills not food) that once Boo leaves me I can no longer afford to have another animal...I will have to find people who have them and just love on their animals when the time comes!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I miss your cats, because now I feel I've met them all.

People, good people, who have never formed an attachment to a species other than human, often fail to realize that each dog and cat is an individual, with a distinct personality. No dog or cat ever takes the place of another; instead, they write a new chapter in our lives.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love this post, Naomi! You've shared your love for all of these precious kitties in a way that make us all (and I speak for ALL of us!) feel as if we knew them and their wonderful personalities. I really liked the photos you included and I can tell from the way you described each one of your cats that they were each very special in their own ways and that they gave you as much love as they received from you. I didn't know Sweetie had a blog. I would've visited years ago!

PS - Is there more to come?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I regret the fact that I never was a cat person - I blame my mother - although I find them fascinating and love to watch them. Fortunately my younger son is and is in mourning after losing - to old age - one of his four cats.
I still have a photo of Sweetie in my computer room. He says "Hi Mom!"

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 8:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have had lovely furry children to give love and friendship to your life. One has to have cats to understand how wonderful they are, and each one unique. My daughter Celine who has 3 cats will call me sometimes just to tell me what one of her cats has done, or send me a quick photo picture. I miss our little Mitsou who passed away last April, but we are going to have another Korat kitten in June, so we are excited about that. This was a lovely post and I enjoyed it so much dear Naomi.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 2:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Happy Birthday Naomi and what a lovely post, I have no idea you have so many kitties and what a joy to read.

I enjoyed looking at cats as they are so mysterious in their own ways :D

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Our cats are so unique to us, but in hearing about Teeny the Dog Cat and Mooney, the independent girl -- I see Gyppy and Lizzie. What a wonderful relationship you have had with your children. It's one I understand very well, as you know. And I can't think of any other post that I've seen in rather awhile that makes me smile so. I also, though, feel a bit sad, for I know you have said farewell to these dear children and that so touches my heart.

Your photos are just beautiful. What treasured remembrances.

June, huh? Something to anticipate!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 7:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That's what it is - unconditional love. Your cats were all so lovely and had great personalities.

I had never had a cat before I serendipitously acquired a five year old Calico named Cleo in the early 90s. She was the most delightful cat and was with me until 2003 - I still miss her. I added a kitten named Sophie two years after Cleo came to live with me (Cleo finally grudgingly accepted her) and Sophie was with me until two years ago. I am not ready for another cat, but think about it all the time. And I love seeing beauties like yours.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 5:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi dear Naomi. I have been MIA for awhile now. No excuses really. I loved reading this post again about all your dear cats. They are such a comfort and joy. They can also get into everything and I have one named Diddles that does that on a daily basis! If there is anything to get into Diddles will find it and I think she does it just to bug me! Cats are so different and all have their own unique personality. I loved your previous post about the stain in the dish. Very touching as usual. You have the gift to write! Many hugs. I think of you often!

Friday, April 19, 2013 at 7:47:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What an enjoyable post about your many furry children! We don't have pets and we very much enjoy the neighbors' cat's visits and naps. And now I buy cat food for his visits! They can be such wonderful quiet company.

Friday, April 19, 2013 at 11:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Delightful account of all your feline friends. I've had a few cats, but one was special as was a canine or two.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 1:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the stories of your cat children. I feel that way too about our cats-- they are our kids and even though we had children, it doesn't make these less so. I find myself now less willing to take trips away from them for long and not sure if that's their age or mine.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 12:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Aww...I loved reading about your babies! Pets sure do become a part of the family.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful sharing and glimpse into your life with your beloved cats. I felt them all as people as I read. I am not a cat person myself but I can easily see how much love and personality they all had. My friend Alwyn loves her cats this way and I have gone through the grief process with her over their loss. I hadn't realized that sweet Sweetie pass on so young.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I just realized this was an old post so Sweetie did not die young! Can't wait to read the next installment.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:08:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.