Tuesday, February 21, 2006

MORE WALKING

When we left off, I think the last thing I showed you was Michael Jeter's house. This is was at the top of my hill, where three streets converge and my street goes on down to the far left...and straight ahead is another short steeet that goes down hill and ends in a cul-de-sac...and then the third street is a flat street, (Thank God) and it too, is a cul de sac but has some interesting houses on it and some amazing views, too...and the fact that it is flat is a great blessing after just about crawling up my steep street...so, that's where I continued my walk...

This is looking east, between two houses and seeing some of what they see from inside their house...that layer of gunk that looks like it is just atop the mountains in the distance is some of the disgusting air that we breath here in Los Angeles, and this was a pretty good day...It's pretty shocking to look out from my windows at times and see not a layer of tan-brown gunk, but a layer of brown-black gunk. Scary really.

If you remember from the previous walking post, I had turned around about 2/3 of the way up my street--looked up, and saw this guy painting the house up there? Well the particular house he was working on as he stood in that corner, was this one. It's an amazing Art-Deco home...very very big and it covers such a large amount of land for a hillside that you can see it from three different angles...I only have two angles in these two walking posts, (the one I just mentioned and this one)...but I will try to take the third angle on another walk...at a later time...(I would have done it for this post but I have not been able to go out and walk due to weather and other things...) It's hard to see the whole house, but the section that would be behind that big tree which is almost impossible to see, is part of what I was looking at from my street...


As I strolled along, I came to another place where one can see yet another view between houses...(continueing looking towards the east)...and if I am not mistaken, that tiny little white building at the top of the mountain in the distance is The Griffith Park Observatory...rather famous because it was included quite prominantly in the James Dean film, "Rebel Without A Cause"...You can't see the dome in this particular photo, but if you remember that film, a lot of action took place around the outside of the Observatory as well as inside, and when they were outside, you could see the very beautiful dome quite well. And right behind the mountain you can just barely see a bigger mountain in the background...but you can truly only see these kinds of things on a clear CLEAR day...which this day wasn't; it most likely would be considered a semi-clear day. And, given that, you actually can see quite a bit anyway...


As I was wandering along, I looked down and saw this little guy...he was really a baby person...
and I think because it was so very very warm that day, he was wandering around, too...only he usually wouldn't be found on the sidewalk, but in the dirt of people's gardens...I have hundreds of them down in my garden...I love these little guys...they are so prehistoric looking, aren't they? Hard to tell in this photo but I have some earlier pictures I have scanned in on my computer of a lot of the lizards in my garden...I will post those sometime soon....


As I continued on my way, I came to one of the older homes in this area...built around 1927-28, which I have heard had quite a checkered history...I don't know that all that I have heard is true, but it certainly makes for very interesting conversations among the neighbors. They say, (whoever thay are), that this was at one time a very high class Hollywood Brothel...lots of movie stars supposedly frequented this establishment during the late '20's and early '30's which was the time when it was supposedly 'in vogue'...later, a well known Movie Gossip Columnist owned this home until her death...and there have been many other owner's since that time...a major renovation took place about 15 years ago and I don't have a clue as to who lives here at the present time...but it is a huge house with a central staircase that goes down about four flights and a four car garage (Cars were a lot smaller when this house was built), two of which you can just about see...these hillside homes are simply amazing, aren't they?

The Spanish style house we just saw is at the end of that street---the cul de sac part....where there are actually only two houses that hug this 'end'...I cannot get a picture of the other house because...guess what....there is a big wall around it and all you can see is 'wall'. Oh, I did take a picture of that wall, but it was so boring I decided not to include it...
So I began walking back towards where I had come from, and saw this Palm Tree and because it is so very typical of so very many Palms that you see here in Los Angeles, I decided to take a picture of it, with it's very lush top and it's unkempt--no doubt Rat Infested beard! It is my understanding that the 'The Palm Tree' was never an indiginous tree to California and that ALL of the many types of palms that you find here were all imported from elsewhere...Pretty amazing when you think that all throughout L.A. the Palm, in all it's many types and all it's beauty, is everywhere! (I even have three types of Palms down in my garden; The King Palm, The Queen Palm and the so called Date Palm, that gives no dates!)


As I kept walking back towards Michael Jeter's house, I saw this man (who wasn't there when I passed by earlier), painting the trim on a garage....I said hello to him and would have taken a photograph of him but I didn't want to make him uncomfortable... so I asked him if he lived there and he said no...and then there was this barking over to the right and I looked over and saw this very scary looking dog...and the guy painting must have seen my fear and said..."Oh don't pay any attention to his barking, he is the the sweetest dog you'll ever want to meet..." So, I said 'hello' to this doggie and he just kept looking at me in this way that I couldn't possibly explain in words if I wanted to...but I actually caught this look with my camera, as you can see...I don't know what kind of dog he is, but I'm sure someone out there in blogland does know...and it looks like they've done something to his ears, or perhaps that's just how they grow...It's strange because he has this combination look of scary, sweet, and pained, all rolled into one...I mean, that's how he looked to me...and in all honesty his barking really did scare me when I first looked over at him...I've never seen a dog before that looks quite the way this little fella does...I'm glad he is so nice cause if he weren't, oh boy....

After getting back to where my street would be starting downhill again, I saw this bed of succulants....well, I should say of this one succulant...Beautiful color, I thought..and I'm pretty sure the color is partly because of the sun's rays...I thought it was so very very unusual and so very beautiful, too, that I took a photo of the whole bed and then a close-up of this gorgeous succulant...And here they are...

And, next, the close-up...which made me think that this plant looks almost good enough too eat!And then, I started down my street...a lot easier than going up, I can tell you...(lol). As I was coming down, I realized that while walking up the hill, I had taken photographs of that little hill...that was the one that had the chain link fence around it, remember? And now, I was looking at the other side of that hill, where years and years ago they built this little road (well, it no doubt will be 'The Driveway' to the house they have yet to build) which takes you up to the top and then....nothing. They never did anything! Then, some more years and years went by and there were problems with druggie people going up there and doing God knows what...so then they built a wall around it....And as I believe I said in that last Walking Post, there is something going on up there now, but it is not clear what, yet...As you can see, from this vantage point, they have a great view of the mountain across the way...(the same mountain again, that I see) plus they have a beautiful view of the city from up there as well...and this street is situated in such a way that it looks like it was getting dark...well, that's because it was getting dark right there, that is!

Okay. So now you remember that house up in the cul de sac that I didn't want to show because all you could see was this boring wall around it? Well, here it is from the other side...from my street, looking up...only now you can see the house and see how big it is! Then I took a closer look with my trusty zoom lens...Again, these hills are Amazing! Pay no attention to the monstrosity in the forground...this is a horrendously horrible house that was built badly, has little cells that they call 'bedrooms' and the maids quarters...I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It is the teeniest cell of all, and worst of all--this cell has no windows--not even one! Concentrate on the house above, if you can.... One more photo.

Back at my garden...In the front is this plant that we call George...too hard to explain, but...he is a very beautiful plant that gets the most amazing fruit...Here are the beginnings of the flowers that will turn into fruit...these little furry buttons will--believe it or not---turn into the most amazing flowers and fruit you could possibly ever see!....I will keep taking photographs to chronicle the growth of these amazing little button creatures...(I have an earlier picture but the growth would be barely perceptible...so I consider this, the first of the hopefully, many more to come as we watch these buttons grow and develop....)

As always....More to come...




**Just a little note about today and tomorrow...I will be working on the seating/ticket stuff for S.T.A.G.E., so I may not be surfing about everyone's blogs...except at odd hours...but I'll be back...off to Zzzzzzland now, but do keep a light in the window....**


























22 Comments:
had this to say:

Reading your blog is like opening Architectural Digest--but boy does it load slowly! What an interesting face on the dog. And what a delightful place to take a walk.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 2:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Boy! That was a long walk. I like the plants too. Nice color. Haven't seen that over here where I live.

Btw, dog really looks scary.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 4:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That is one creepy looking dog. Lovely photos once again!

Get yourself some rest. You know we'll leave the light on for you :)

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 5:15:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Wow, gorgeous photos. What kind of camera do you use? I didn't know rats lived in palm trees, creepy! That dog looks like a scotty mixed with something else. It looks like he has blue or grey eyes, which against the dark mask can look scary. Thanks for the tour!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 5:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love your walking around your neighborhood! Beautiful photos, too. It's much interesting because behind each house there is a history and you know about them. The view from the hills is gorgeous and the sky is so blue!

These houses are so big and their architecture is so diverse. Love the Spanish style house.

About the dog, just a tip: I think the dog is Standard Schnauzer's breed, maybe ... So curious, looks he has a mask on his face! Really he has a very scary looking dog.

I would love another post about your neighborhood and as I said another day, I will love that you take a walk at the city, down the hills!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 6:19:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That was so cool!!! I so loved reading about your walk and all the pictures!
chelle

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 7:27:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Lovely walk! (except for the odd looking dog, lol).It's fun to see similar vegetation, I have learned we have 4 kinds of palm trees, I have to find out the names and take pics. I have posted a walk in Chamonix today. Maybe you have some time off in you busy STAGE schedule ? (good luck for a good cause!)

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love sharing your walks with you Naomi! Have to say I'm really liking that big white house on top of the hill in those last photos!!! ;)

Good luck on working on your S.T.A.G.E. projects!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 9:45:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great post as always! Good luck on your S.T.A.G.E. work!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 10:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed the walk as usual! Those houses are grand on those hills. I thought the dog was just painted there at first. Very strange dog, kind of so ugly he's cute!

Love the lizard picture too. We have lots of them here but they are blueish/green, and some are brown that I have found in the basement! Cute little guys!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 1:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I would have scared of that little dog. I'm glad he was behind bars. Little dogs can bite hard too!

The art deco style home sounds like one I would like. I'm sure it is really gorgeous inside & out.

That lizard could keep my two turtles company.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 3:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Ok so did the house belong to Hedda or Louella ?

I think that dog is a schnauzer as someone else said.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 6:58:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fascinating… thank you so much for sharing.

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 7:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi! Superb walking tour of your neighborhood. As far as your date palm goes, you probably have a maile tree. They are quite valuable and probably you could sell the pods to a date producer to use as a pollinator.

Cool huh?

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 8:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I simply love your "out walking" pictures!! And that dog totally creeped me out... lol...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 9:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Another great 'walk' post! Well up to your usual standard:-)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 1:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That view is wonderful! I wish my neighborhood was so interesting...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The light IS in the window, Naomi, and always is, for you!

That dog looks like he is wearing a white mask - funny and sweet at the same time.

Who lives in that big white house up on the hill?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

[waits impatiently for 'buttons' to grow.....]
Another crowning glory 'walk', dear Lady :-)

posted my take on the BAFTAs...

cq

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 2:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That succulant plant has such a beautiful color. Thank goodness, cuz that is 1 ugly dog. Scary too, even. I do like the big house on top with all the windows, what a nice view they must have.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 7:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

oh all the blogs and visiting i missed while qwest was having trouble figuring out that they indeed sold dsl to me and maybe they better hook me back up in the new place, i missed you most!

what a wonderful walk. i do not envy the uphill part, but i bet you are healthier than i, just know you can walk up that hill!

i enjoyed walking along with you. you write well enough that i actually READ every word, not wanting to miss anything, and i can tell ya, i dont do that with many others!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 9:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

As a life-long New Jerseyan, I find these photos facinating because they remind me of how different the natural wold is on the two coasts, and how the architecture follows right along. I have been to LA, San Fran, and San Diego and environs several times in my life. Many times, really. Even the air is different (and of course those three cities are very different from one another). You live a marvelous state, as do I. We need to be reminded by things like walks and photographs and busiess trips just what an amazing place America is.

Rick

Friday, March 3, 2006 at 8:30:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.