Friday, December 23, 2005


ROPER AND EBERT AND OLDOLDLADY....

Because of my affiliation with The Screen Actors Guild, I am getting to see a lot of NEW Films, at home, on DVD's. I was chosen by the computer along with 2,200 other SAG members to be on the Film Nominating Committe this year...which then will be voted on by the entire membership (over 60,000 or more, now)and the winners announced on the televisied Screen Actors Guild Awards Show on January 29th, 2006.

Here are a list of the filns I have seen, so far...in alphabetical order...with a little tiny review of sorts, for each...remember, my lovely's, just my opinion....!


BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - This is a BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL love story of a film....very touching and moving...wonderful performances, superior writing...a MUST SEE...it breaks your heart and is a true 'experience' which is what I want in a film...(weather it is a comedy or a musical or a drama or a love story)...Keith Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall are both utterly brilliant!






CAPOTE - An astounding performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman...it's the story of how Truman Capote came to write his most famous book, "In Cold Blood"....Another absolutely 'must see' film...


THE FAMILY STONE
- Wonderful cast, including Diane Keaton and Sarah Jessica Parker...both actresses always worth watching...this is a film about a large family and the outsider, (Sarah Jessica P.) that comes to spend Christmas with them because her fiance is one of the many children of Diane Keaton & Craig T. Nelson.


GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK - Really important film about Edward R. Murrow and the tv show, 'See It Now', where Murrow exposed Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy (through the original video tapes of McCarthy) for the terrible man that he was....David Straithern is magnificent as Murrow and McCarthy is pretty frightening as McArthy....and the ever surprising George Clooney directed and co-wrote the film as well as appearing in it, too. Another 'Must See'....


A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
- Hard film to watch but an imporant statement about violence begetting violence....wonderful performances in this film, too...But, not for children....



"IN HER SHOES"
- Cameron Diaz, Toni Colette and the always fantastic Shirley MacLaine in a BEAUTIFUL understated and moving performance...very much worth seeing...it wouldn't surprise me if MacLaine recieved some awards in the Best Supporting Actress catagory this year...(Golden Globe, anyone?)


MATCH POINT - The most recent Woody Allen film that in my view is his BEST film since 'Crimes And Misdemeanors'.... a serious film about murder and it all takes place in England and there isn't one character in it who is supposed to be Woody Allen.....Very worth seeing...


MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS
-
The always superb Judi Dench and the always fabulous Bob Hoskins, in a story based on truth that takes place in London just before the 2nd World War...fun and serious, too...a lovely lovely performance by Ms. Dench, but then, when isn't she wonderful?



NARNIA, THE CHRONICLES OF
- BEAUTIFUL, IMAGINATVE, SWEET AND SCARY....(Incredible Fantasy Creatures Come To Life in this film like I've never seen before)...all these things and more...Do Not Miss This Film!

NORTH COUNTRY - Another very good performance by the Oh so stunning Charleze Theron....and a beautiful Supporting Actress performance by Frances McDormand...I've never seen her be bad, have you?

PROOF - Beautiful Beautiful performance by Gwyneth Paltrow...this film is based on the Play of the same name...Great writing and another terrific performance by Anthony Hopkins....(I LOVE HIM!!!)

RENT - An Ensenble Musical Film, very very well done and ALL the performances are uniformally excellent...a serious musical about serious things, but certainly with some humor, too. Very worth seeing....

SHOPGIRL - I didn't get it. A very slim slim story with good actors but...why? I mean...I just didn't care about anyone...and if you don't care, what's the point...Someone else certainly could feel very differently about this film...

THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
- A terrible name, (that doesn't really tell you much about what this film is really really about...which is too bad) for a truly wonderful film with terrific performances by everyone in it! Most particularly, Jeff Daniels, and these two young actors named Jesse Eisenberg and Owen Kline. You might need your handkerchief for this one, though it is terribly funny, too....Laura Linney is also extremely good, as always....


SYRIANNA - A fascinating espinage-type story that keeps you on the edge if your seat, and also makes you hide your eyes from some horrificly violent torture scenes...Not for children! George Clooney, WONDERFUL, as always...The whole cast is excellent...with many outstanding performances including but not limited to: Matt Damon, Jeffrey Wright, Christopher Plummer, and Amanda Peet...(this woman has a GREAT career ahead of her...)


TRANSAMERICA
- An Astounding and thouroughly believable performance by 'Desperate Houswife' Felicity Huffman, based on a true story of a man's struggle with gender re-assignment surgery and all the emotions that go with this life changing act....



"WALK THE LINE - Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix in roles that could bring each of them multiple Awards...The beautiful Joquin inbody's Johnny Cash in an almost scary way....and the same with Ms. Witherspoon as June Carter Cash...AND, they do all they're own singing, too! Another must see fillm....

THE WHITE COUNTESS
- The last Merchant-Ivory film to be made with all the careful attention to detail and much beauty that they are known for...Remarkable performances by Natasha Richardson and Ralph Fiennes, with the added bonus of Vanessa Redgrave, (Natasha's mum) and Lynn Redrave, (Natashasa'a Aunt and Vanessa's younger sister) carrying on the remarkble 'Redgrave Family Business' now in their 3rd generation on film....in their always most 'truthful', real
and remarkably complete performances.

More to come as I see more films....there is a deadline so that's why I'm not out there on the Blogesphere as much right now, as well as the all consuming almost-here-Holidays!








52 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I want to see Brokeback Mountain and Mrs. Henderson Presents :)

Here via Michele's today!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 2:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow you have been busy haven't you. There's a few of those I definitely want to see now :)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 3:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Quite a few that I would like to see. What a treat for you that you can watch these at home in your pjs! LOL

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 4:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I thought I wanted to see Brokeback Mountain and Transamerica and your reviews just sealed the deal!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 4:30:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

More than a few of those are on my cinema wish list to see over the holidays!

Thanks for the reviews!

Here today via Michele.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 4:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You are so lucky to have been chosen to view them - and in the comfort of your own home. What a luxury! I will definitely take your reviews into account. We are going to see The Producers on Christmas Day and I cannot wait!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:06:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello, Michele sent me. After reading your reviews, there are a lot of movies I need to see! The top three on my list, though, are Brokeback Mountain, Capote, and Narnia. Maybe I'll manage to catch at least one of them this weekend. Enjoy the rest of your viewing! :)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. I am 0-10. I have not seen any of those films! I can't wait for my two little bastages to be self-sufficient enough for my wife and I to have a night out on the town.

(In all honesty, only Shopgirl piques my interest. Clare Danes? Grrrrowwwwwl (drool).)

love,
p

michele sent me today. my pleasure as usual

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:57:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

We so rarely make it to the theater, but you've given me some great 'renter' ideas! Lucky you getting to watch all those great movies and call it work!

Michele sent me... cheers!!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 9:26:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for your tips! I love films but I seldom get around to go to the movies or rent one... My sister loves the chronicles of Narnia. Last evening around before leaving, thanks for your kind komment. Happy holidays, dear OOLOH!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 9:34:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Lots of movies I really want to see...just never seem to have the time with a little one around. Hopefully some day! But thank you for your wonderful reviews. :)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 10:23:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hey! It's good work if you can get it.
What a wonder job that would be for me but I doubt very much that I could be the same review writer you are.

I love to watch new movies but I'm a poor judge of what a great performance looks like. I do know what I like when I see however.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 10:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your so lucky! lol I can't wait to see a lot of those movies..

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 10:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, that is a serious ammount of film watching, I don't see that many in a year!
A very Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 10:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We rarely go see movies, but with your reviews, I will probably see at least a few of these. I love George Clooney in anything, plus, he had a pot bellied pig, too.
I hope they sent you Munich because I'd really like to hear what you think about it. I haven't seen it (don't know if its out yet) but it's one Tarzan & I both want to see.
Glad to see you're catching up on your homework! :)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 11:28:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Loved A history of Violence, thought that it was a brilliant film in every component. Viggio Mortenson keeps getting better and better. His performance was astonishing; how he could seemigly change personalities with the a slight move in one eye.

can't wait to see Matchpoint--each time I would see the trailer I would be totally astonished because this isn't my father's Woody, or my Woody of Annie Hall

Can talk about movies forever; reviewed them for a couple of years but had to see see 20 totally boring winner of something at Sundance for one good winner of something big at Sundance. Like indie films but, uh....

Thanks so much for the succinct good reviews

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 12:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, you are SO LUCKY. Now, if you want to mail me those CDs that you've already seen, I'm happy to send you our snail mail address. Because I can't afford to go to the movies and these won't be on netflix for a long time. Sob.

Here via Michele, as always. I love your site. Always something fun to read here.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 12:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

what great fun to be on the screening committee! will take note of the films you recommended. sad thing is we won't get to see narnia till next year since the entire christmas week is reserved for local film showings only.

merry christmas, naomi! :)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 12:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Looks like someone's been a VERY busy girl.....

Have seen some of those and intend to see a few more.

Can certainly recommend Chronicles of Narnia. It's very well done (and has prompted me to read the book[s])

Really, REALLY didn't like 'History of Violence' - though I like Viggo.

Have heard nothing but good things about SYRIANNA but not sure if I can drag anyone along to see it... Maybe I'll just see it on my own... It's been a while since I indulged myself in that..

Thanks for the recommendations.....

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 12:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Brokeback Mountain and Mrs Henderson are top of my 'To See' list - now Narnia is seen :-)

Narnia - fabulous, wonderful....brill!

Oh, posted the game, OOL :-)

Michele sent me - although I was heading this way anyway...

cq

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 1:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Here through Michele but this post is right up my alley. A lot of the movies you mentioned I want to see. I too used to get screeners sent to me at home, but they were for far lesser known movies that usually were lesser known for good reason.:)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 1:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You got to see all of those in the comfort of your living room?! Excellent.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 2:01:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh my, you have seen some fabulous films.

A friend of mine has been raving about A History of Violence and thinks it's the best film he's ever seen.

I'd like to see Brokeback Mountain.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 2:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

happy friday!
Andrew

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 2:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am SO JEALOUS!!!!!! I want to see every single one of those films except Shopgirl. The BOOK was very slim, not enough story even for a Novella. Maybe short-short story, but that's about it.

Have a WONDERFUL holiday season!!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 3:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Just popped in to say happy christmas as I haven't visited for ages. LOVE the enormous christmas epic.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 4:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love how different everyone is... I haven't seen a movie in 5 months. You've seen my lifetimes worth in one blog posting.

Here from Michelle's Old Lady.

Enjoy,

Calendar Girl

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 5:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

wonderful for you to share your reviews. i already had several of these on my 'to see' list.

here from Michele's, today.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 5:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! I'm so jealous! What a great priviledge to have access to such films.

With the little ones around we hardly get out to see films in the theatre. I must wait until the rentals hit market. Of course I am making a date with my dad to see Narnia next week. ;)

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 5:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i came bu to see how you were doing and it appears ou have been BUSY! i have not watched that many new movie all year!

we have been looking around at modeling agencies with Indy, someone recommended we join one that worked with the SAG. as neat as it would be to be associated with an orginazation that you belong to, i think we decided that Indy's modeling career (at least for the forseeable future)is going to be all on his blog. i just dont know how to go about geting him involved in the bigger world.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 6:59:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've been waiting for someone to do movie reviews. We just saw Narnia and enjoyed it!

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 8:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How are you going to choose if you love them all so much??

I love Diane Keaton, Woody Allen, Jeff Daniels,...I would have a difficult time editing out which films to pick!

Michele sent me.

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 10:46:00 PM PST 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

For some reason unknown to me, copies of the first Lord of the Rings movie and Monsters Inc. ended up in my hands from those "preview" dvds.

There's a number of films on your list that I will definitely be seeing now.

And teh couple I did see in the theaters you were spot on with, so know you've won my trust...

Friday, December 23, 2005 at 11:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Morning OOL :-) [yawn]

Did you know that Woody Allen was so impressed with British film-making he has signed up to make his next three films here? Or so the little man on the news said!

cq
MSM - this time.....

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 12:25:00 AM PST 

Blogger rob
had this to say:

CAPOTE CAPOTE CAPOTE!!!

What a fucking brilliant film that was. And my boy, PS Hoffman, just brought it balls to bone. If he doesn't get an Oscar nod, I will single handedly burn down Hollywood (considering that the last time I said that I was talking about my girl, Charlize, for her performance in Monster, I think the statement is bankable).

I haven't seen Brokeback yet, but it's high on my list. I saw the preview for it when I checked out Capote. When it was announced that the film was directed by Ang Lee, I leaned over to my date and whispered, "Oh! It's 'Crouching Cowboy, Hidden Homo."

We haven't had a second date.

I was a little disappointed with A History of Violence. Mostly because they took such liberties with the graphic novel from which it's based. Now, don't get me wrong...I am in no way an adaptation purist. I recognize and appreciate the fact that adaptiation not only can but should deviate from the source material. But some of what they did was inexcusable. I still enjoyed it but I also thought that so much more could have been done with the story.

As for Good Night and Good Luck: God bless George Clooney. I love it when big budget stars can step into a supporting role and...just...support. And he did so brilliantly. I'm by no means against a supporting character stealing a show (fuck-all knows that I've done it myself) but Clooney knew his place and he stuck to it. Bravo!

Why did it take Hollywood this long to make Proof into a film? Such a kick ass play. Such a kick ass film.

Huzzah, SAG! Good choices. Maybe Melissa Gilbert won't be missed, afterall. ;)

r

fin...

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 2:20:00 AM PST 

Blogger Deb
had this to say:

I've been wanting to see TransAmerica <--sp? ... I have a friend who went through the process, and he went through such a struggle 'hating his outer shell', because he was a male. Now "she" is more accepting of herself. A lot of people don't 'get it', but it's understandable.

It's amazing the transformation that actress went through---to look like a 'man' but be created as a woman again. That had to be a pain in the butt to do. *s*

I haven't even heard of half of these movies---which is probably because you gotZ da' inner scoop there! ;)

Thanks for the list!

P.S. Plain Jane--I'm with ya on that one. Tell her we both want to go...I'll spring for the extra large sodas. What's it- like $9.99 for one of them now? Geez.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 5:47:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I did not like the story of Brokeback Mountain. What do I know.

Have a very merry Holiday!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 6:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you have been so busy watching all those movies! I don't get out to watch many movies but I do enjoy it every now and then. It's been awhile, but I think I'd like to see Brokeback Mountain! You make them all sound great except for Shopgirl maybe. I wouldn't watch the violent ones though.

(Have a wonderful Christmas dear Naomi!).

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 7:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm with you on Shopgirl. I was really upset that I spent money on it.

Narnia was awesome! We'll for sure add that to our DVD collection when it is released.

On my list to see: Rent, The Family Stone, and Walk the Line.

Wouldn't watch Brokeback Mountain even if it were free.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 8:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Have A Merry Christmas

Have a good time

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 9:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I hope you have a lovely Christmas!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 11:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hi naomi! just passing through to make sure to wish you a warm wonderful christmas spent with your loved ones. :)

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 11:43:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Are you at least making popcorn and munching away while you watch all those movies I'm DYING to see?

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 3:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You are so lucky to be able to watch all those wonderful films in the comfort of your home!!! I'm envious!! ;)

I'm glad you got to see Narnia! It was brilliant wasnt' it?

We will be doing alot of movie watching ourselves this week! Happy Holidays my friend!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 at 4:09:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks so much for all the reviews!!! I hope I get a movie theater gift card for Christmas! I want to see Brokeback Mountain and Family Stone the most. This post helped immensely with my decision to see pretty much every movie you reviewed!

(And yes, I owed you a comment from last night, but my Internet went spotty, so I'm here now!)

Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 6:34:00 AM PST 

Blogger Joe
had this to say:

My wife and I want to see Brokeback Mountain (my wife is a big Heath Ledger fan). But we live in Mississippi and I do not think it will be shown anywhere near us. Gotta love censorship huh?

Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 7:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I would rather get to watch and review all of these then get the free ugly Minotaurs etc ROTFL ( just kidding, I just got awesome Narnia Christmas decorations sent to me :D )
Shopgirl was just Steve Martins midlife crisis movie ugh lol.

Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 11:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so jealous! You get to see all of these movies for free!

Michele sent me.

Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 7:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so jealous someone is sending you all these great movies to watch... I'm gonna have to join SAG. it's easy, right? *grin*

I'd say I was here because Michele sent me, but I also visit everyone who visits me :)

Monday, December 26, 2005 at 8:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You lucky thing, you! Getting to see all of these movies.

I used to go to the movies 5 to 10 times a week. Now I'm lucky if I get to go once every few months.

Last night I went with a good friend to see The Family Stone. We really enjoyed it.

My husband is not a big "go to the movies" kind of guy, and so as part of my New Year's resolutions I have decided that I will go see a movie in the theater at least once a week. I miss doing that, and I'm going to make it a point since it is something I love so much.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 at 6:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! See the benefit of starting from the beginning? You are a member of SAG :) Was this the year of Crash? I think so. I loved that film and thought Sandra B. was terrific as was the whole cast. Loved Brokeback's cinematography. When I first read the short story I busted out crying. Thank you for your kind words in regards to Brokeback on a previous thread.

Stan

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 7:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

One more thing....Transamerica had a few scenes shot up the road fron Phoenix. A town called Rock Springs and The Rock Springs Cafe stood in for a cafe in New Mexico. That film was soo good and Felicity was brilliant!!! We were in that cafe one day and asked the waitress, a young thing of about 19 with a thick drawl if the cafe had become more popular with the film's release. She huffed...I mean HUFFED, that she couldn't talk about it because the subject matter was all kinds of wrong and she was against them having shot there. Her reaction was so strong, that I laughed out loud :0

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 7:43:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.